webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP TouchPad won't turn on or charge.
HP TouchPad won't turn on or charge.
Like Tree13Likes

Old 02/11/2012, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

My HP Touchpad will not turn on. This has happened before and I usually do the reboot by holding down the power and the home button, but this time it didn't work. I held it down for quite a while, too. I tried plugging it in the charger, but it didn't even recognize that it was being plugged in. The screen is still blank.
Even after holding down the power+home button for 15+ seconds, it still does not turn on.
Are there any other ways to fix this?
All help appreciated. Thanks!
tinetine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by lgiordano likes this.
Old 02/11/2012, 05:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Make sure it really is charging. In my experience the USB cable which comes with TouchPad is not good quality. The end I plug into TP is skewed so I have to put something under it in order to actually charge. See attached doodle.
If TP is completely discharged, you have to wait a while before it wakes up and show that is charging.
Attached Images
File Type: png tp-charging.png (34.9 KB, 415 views) Email Attachment
mivoligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2012, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Check to make sure that the part that goes into the wall is not loose. Its really an assembly which can be unscrewed.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2012, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Try holding down just the power button for 30 seconds.
ohmytvc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2012, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm having the same problem. Won't charge or power on. The cable/adapter will charge my playbook, so I don't think that is the problem. Playbook charger doesn't do any better. Plug the TP into the computer, and nothing. Hold Center/Power/VolUP button while plugged into the computer, and windows 7 tries to install qhsusb_dload and fails. Stock TP running latest WebOS.

The Touchpad has run well since I received it for my b-day in August 2011.
Any other ideas.

Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinetine21 View Post
My HP Touchpad will not turn on. This has happened before and I usually do the reboot by holding down the power and the home button, but this time it didn't work. I held it down for quite a while, too. I tried plugging it in the charger, but it didn't even recognize that it was being plugged in. The screen is still blank.
Even after holding down the power+home button for 15+ seconds, it still does not turn on.
Are there any other ways to fix this?
All help appreciated. Thanks!
ebaylusod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2012, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

do a reset.
Hold down the center button while also pressing the power button for 15 seconds.

If that doesnt work. then replace your usb cable (yes the ones shipped with the TP are cheaply made and do go bad)

Try another charger (cheap on eBay).

If n one of the abovedoesn't work it's likely you got one with a bad battery and I don't know if HP is warranteeing them. - Available on eBay for $140

I have 4 bad batterys here from units I replaced them in, and heard about so many others that I wonder if discovery of a fault in TP battery's might have been the straw that broke Leo's back last August.
Old 02/18/2012, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

step one is always to make sure the wall adapter is getting power to the tablet. Do you have another device (phone) you can plug in to make sure it is charging?
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: leetz
Old 02/18/2012, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If you determine it is not charger related http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html.
kjhenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2012, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

did you manage to find a solution ?
mikegally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 08:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

I chatted with someone at HP and they helped me find a soloution. If your HP touchpad is not charging, it may be that you have to reset your plugin i.e. the cylinder that you plug into the wall. To reset it, unplug the cylinder from the outlet, remove the usb cable. You then twist the end of the cylinder with the prongs counter clockwise, then you twist it back to its original position. You don't have to twist it that far until you reach resistance in either direction.

There you have just reset your plugin, so plug it in directly to a wall outlet and hopefully you will be able to charge your touchpad. The customer service rep said to leave it plugged in for 2 hours to see if it worked or to get back in touch with them...but almost immediately I saw a white light down by the home key that pulsed back and forth.

Other things I tried.
I tried plugging the touchpad into my computer before trying this and I don't think you get enough power if your battery has completely drained. I also tried holding down the power button and home button. One of the first things the HP person asked me to try is to hold the power button down and press the home button 15 times. This did not work for me in this case, but may help someone out there.

Hope this helps some people resolve there problems.
kego44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Kelvinator71 likes this.
Thanked By: Kelvinator71
Old 02/22/2012, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ok...... I have this problem. The charger works fine on my other two TP's, and I tried all the button gymnastics to no avail.

Now what? HELP!!!!??
spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

"..If your HP touchpad is not charging, it may be that you have to reset your plugin.."

When I first read this I thought 'reset'?? Sure if it's loose - re-tighten it, but not 'reset'..
then I had a closer look inside, having removed the outer and there is a small metal 'prong' which does seem to get 'set' by a raised cam when twisted and locked in.. is it just a safety 'switch', is it a spring-lock mechanism, or does it actually electronically 'reset' anything?

Thanks anyway!

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

With my HP tablet not charging, I tried all the tricks previous to mine, with no luck. However, I did unscrew the cylinder that plugs into the wall. Took the prong part off, blew on both pieces, put them back together, plugged in the tablet and voila! WORKING TABLET! Hope this helps you too
shmily42207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Obviously the real trick is in blowing on it!!

I think the 'prongs' are just locking clips.. The charger that came with my Touchstone is a much looser fit than the TP's one.

Great!
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Eantheman likes this.
Old 03/03/2012, 01:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
Obviously the real trick is in blowing on it!!

I think the 'prongs' are just locking clips.. The charger that came with my Touchstone is a much looser fit than the TP's one.

Great!
For a little over a dollar you can replace the mini USB cord and have a live Touchpad again -

Amazon.com: Samsung Replacement USB Data Charging Cable for Samsung SPH-M330, SCH-R100, SGH-T939, and SCH-R850: Cell Phones & Accessories

I discovered this by reading the Amazon review for the stock HP Touchpad charger. Multiple people besides myself have found success going this route. You can check the discussion here -

Amazon.com: BOB's review of HP North American Power Charger for HP Tou...
Bryan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 05:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the advice! It's been like a month since I posted that my touchpad wouldn't charge or turn on. It still hasn't been able to work though. I've tried the whole reset thing, but it doesn't work.
I'm just going to send it in to HP with the warranty to get it fixed. For anybody else that has the same problem as I do, I think (if all else fails) you should send it to HP if you still have the warranty.
In my case, I don't think there is a problem with the charger. I know it's not the plug outlet because all of my other chargers work in the same outlet.
tinetine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2012, 11:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

I've got this problem too... have tried the Touchstone charger and confirmed that the USB cable charger works (charges my Pre3)... I've held every combination of buttons imaginable for up to 2 minutes...
Any advice?
dadueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 01:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

My wife's touchpad did the same thing over the weekend. I confirmed that the chargers work (using my touchpad) and then contacted HP. When their suggestions didn't work (center button and power for 10 seconds, Power and repeatedly press the center button, etc), they sent me a return box for warrenty repair. It should have gotten to the repair facility today, so we will see what comes of it.

Touchpad (launch day)
rburtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2012, 10:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Has anyone who's sent in their TP for repair had trouble on account of overclocking or having Android installed?
dadueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2012, 11:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

I don't ever remember seeing a post refusing servicing. People have gotten different touchpads back, and they had touchpads returned with seemingly no work done on them, but no one's ever posted about service refusal.
Thanked By: DaDueler

Tags
hp touch pad, not turning on, won't charge

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0