webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP TouchPad won't turn on or charge.
HP TouchPad won't turn on or charge.
Like Tree12Likes

Old 10/30/2012, 06:01 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
do a reset.
Hold down the center button while also pressing the power button for 15 seconds.
I thought the Touchpad had bitten the dust. But I did what you recommended - and she started up. Thanks!
Convert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2012, 06:38 AM   #62 (permalink)

This is !!! Thanks so much... I fix the cylinder and now i can charge my touchpad.
tuyoec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2012, 04:16 PM   #63 (permalink)

I had this problem too -- my touchpad had been dead for over a week. It died when the battery was low and I didn't set it properly on the touchstone chager. I tried every suggestion I read short of opening it up to charge the battery.
Finally I decided to try webos doctor. The instructions say to connect the powered-off touchpad to the USB cable while holding the volume up button. I tried this with the USB cable connected to the plugged-in charger and a battery charge icon appeared on the screen!

So, this is what worked:
1. USB cord plugged in to charger connected to power
2. hold volume up button only -- don't let go and plug USB cord into touchpad

After charging for a few minutes it automatically booted! The charge indicator showed only 3% on the battery. Right now it's still functional and still charging, up to 18%. I think it's going to be OK! Didn't need webos doctor after all, just a hint from its instructions.
pderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2012, 09:57 AM   #64 (permalink)

Ok. So. After all my problems with the screen rotation failing, my TP went entirely dead too. I've been trying various suggestions made here. I just tried plugging it into a live power supply while holding the volume up button. I'm waiting to see if it comes to life. I've got my pry tool ready, but I'm not sure what I'll once I open it since I don't have an external RC charger. I also tired, in various combinations, Charging it from a laptop, using trickle chargers, 0.5 A, 1.0, 2.0 and the HP TP charger. I tried all manner of button presses throwing vol up + down into the mix. Before I open it up, I'll try connection go a laptop while pressing the vol up, the try doctoring it.

Frankly, it surprises me to the point of not believing it, that the charger circuit would run off the internal battery, when there is a perfectly stable power source coming into the USB port. My Maha charger powers up when I plug it in without any batteries in it. How can the charger rely on the battery it's charging for power? What am I missing.

I'm hoping that when I bring this back to life, the rotation issue will be resolved... hopefully.

Thanks to everyone and I report back!
tjgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2012, 09:14 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pderr View Post
I had this problem too -- my touchpad had been dead for over a week. It died when the battery was low and I didn't set it properly on the touchstone chager. I tried every suggestion I read short of opening it up to charge the battery.
Finally I decided to try webos doctor. The instructions say to connect the powered-off touchpad to the USB cable while holding the volume up button. I tried this with the USB cable connected to the plugged-in charger and a battery charge icon appeared on the screen!

So, this is what worked:
1. USB cord plugged in to charger connected to power
2. hold volume up button only -- don't let go and plug USB cord into touchpad

After charging for a few minutes it automatically booted! The charge indicator showed only 3% on the battery. Right now it's still functional and still charging, up to 18%. I think it's going to be OK! Didn't need webos doctor after all, just a hint from its instructions.

I'm trying this now, but you didn't state if once plugged in you keep holding the volume up for those few minutes or let it go once plugged.

I did this, held the button for over a good minute or two and now awaiting to see if something happens.... if it does, I'll report back..

It's been over a month of trying everything... I'd hate to have to open it up.
Old 11/11/2012, 09:49 PM   #66 (permalink)

No joy. I tired the slow charge initiated withe the vol up button pressed, and the same charging from my computer's USB port. I think before I open it up I'll let it sit unplugged for a week. It doesn't make sense to me how that would help, little about this is making sense to me. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 11/12/2012, 02:58 AM   #67 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The software that runs the charging stuff is a bit fiddly.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2012, 07:19 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgriffin View Post
Ok. So. After all my problems with the screen rotation failing, my TP went entirely dead too. I've been trying various suggestions made here. I just tried plugging it into a live power supply while holding the volume up button. I'm waiting to see if it comes to life. I've got my pry tool ready, but I'm not sure what I'll once I open it since I don't have an external RC charger. I also tired, in various combinations, Charging it from a laptop, using trickle chargers, 0.5 A, 1.0, 2.0 and the HP TP charger. I tried all manner of button presses throwing vol up + down into the mix. Before I open it up, I'll try connection go a laptop while pressing the vol up, the try doctoring it.

Frankly, it surprises me to the point of not believing it, that the charger circuit would run off the internal battery, when there is a perfectly stable power source coming into the USB port. My Maha charger powers up when I plug it in without any batteries in it. How can the charger rely on the battery it's charging for power? What am I missing.

I'm hoping that when I bring this back to life, the rotation issue will be resolved... hopefully.

Thanks to everyone and I report back!
"Frankly, it surprises me to the point of not believing it, that the charger circuit would run off the internal battery, when there is a perfectly stable power source coming into the USB port. My Maha charger powers up when I plug it in without any batteries in it. How can the charger rely on the battery it's charging for power? What am I missing?"

Has anyone ever really confirmed that this is the case? We all seem to be working off this presumption, but like tjgriffin says, it doesn't really make sense, so maybe we're barking up the wrong tree and we have a hardware issue? Mine is still dead after some three months of regular effort with all the reported charger/button push combinations.

I'm wondering what those three low fast "fail" tones when we plug into a computer really mean?
freecicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2012, 02:06 PM   #69 (permalink)

My basic problem is that the TP fails to charge from the USB port. Always get a warning that the charger is not the right one for the TP. It charges from the Touchstone. With the TP fully charged, I tried to get it to connect with my computer USB to USB to try Web Doctor. I followed the instructions to press down the volume control and plug in the USB. Nothing. No USB symbol. Now the TP is dead. The USB charger, doesn't work, natch. So plugging in the charger live from the outlet while holding down the Volume switch doesn't work. Tried it anyway. I tried holding down the volume switch and placing the TP on the touchstone. No luck either. Any suggestions.

Got the TP to reboot with Power and Home sequence. Now, need to Doctor it somehow.

Does the internal reset to factory specs work as well as Doctor?

Last edited by snwynkoop; 11/12/2012 at 02:23 PM.
snwynkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2012, 03:40 PM   #70 (permalink)

You sure you pressed the right side of the volume rocker? It's Vol+, not Vol- or both.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2012, 04:12 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
You sure you pressed the right side of the volume rocker? It's Vol+, not Vol- or both.
Thanks. I think I was doing it right. I did a secure erase, and the TP is now rebuiling apps. I'll try again later.
snwynkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2012, 04:37 PM   #72 (permalink)

This tablet is just junk! To many people having problems and HP does nothing to fix them but charge me $15 for nothing! I regret wasting money on anything HP makes.
Bryan Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2012, 05:04 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Bogart View Post
This tablet is just junk! To many people having problems and HP does nothing to fix them but charge me $15 for nothing! I regret wasting money on anything HP makes.
And how is your complaining helping people solve problems?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 10:29 AM   #74 (permalink)

I let it sit for a couple of weeks, hooked it up to a charger overnight and still no go. I put it on a 0.5A charger and will let it sit for a couple more weeks. After that, I'll open it up.
Old 11/30/2012, 08:48 PM   #75 (permalink)

Folks,

I have been monitoring the forums to find a solution to charge my 'Touch(e) Pad' that turned into a paper weight for the last 4/5 months and was getting really frustrated trying every suggestion.

Finally, I decided to visit Best Buy today with the TP and see if they can help (the alternative was to drive over the TP and end the agony).

The salesperson was very helpful and suggested I try a 'Dynex - Micro USB: DX-C114201 (serial/model #) and see if it works. She even ripped the package and tried it on the TP, and when it had a snug fit, I decided to to give it a try (caveat - return if it doesn't work in your case) ...

That did the trick!!

I plugged the thing around 7:00 PM and it took about 20/30 minutes before I could log in! it's about 9:30 PM, and I notice it's about 80% charged... and working great!!

I hope all the Touch(e) Pad owners will be successful (BTW.. I don't work for Best Buy - I work for HP )
mak_solved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 07:49 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego44 View Post
I chatted with someone at HP and they helped me find a soloution. If your HP touchpad is not charging, it may be that you have to reset your plugin i.e. the cylinder that you plug into the wall. To reset it, unplug the cylinder from the outlet, remove the usb cable. You then twist the end of the cylinder with the prongs counter clockwise, then you twist it back to its original position. You don't have to twist it that far until you reach resistance in either direction.

There you have just reset your plugin, so plug it in directly to a wall outlet and hopefully you will be able to charge your touchpad. The customer service rep said to leave it plugged in for 2 hours to see if it worked or to get back in touch with them...but almost immediately I saw a white light down by the home key that pulsed back and forth.

Other things I tried.
I tried plugging the touchpad into my computer before trying this and I don't think you get enough power if your battery has completely drained. I also tried holding down the power button and home button. One of the first things the HP person asked me to try is to hold the power button down and press the home button 15 times. This did not work for me in this case, but may help someone out there.

Hope this helps some people resolve there problems.
Thank you!! Resetting the plugin worked for me! I had tried EVERYTHING!
zittritsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 02:05 PM   #77 (permalink)

I have the Panda version TP and has worked fine since I acquired it back in Ocotber of 2011.. worked since then and not doctored one time...Im browsing the forums and its being reported over and over in various explanations but I( like others starting to comment) believe the Battery is starting to have issues or the software on the battery is having issues. Maybe we should be focusing on this as the primary factor. Sure ive had various times where memory resource has locked it up but this time all i had done was leave it sitting on the TS after watching Hatfields an Mccoys and went to bed ( though i havent used the TS on a regular basis till recenly since now im located in Saudi Arabia on work duty)..come am time it was a black screen and booting was just stuck on the HP Logo with no logo flash on it..
Button combinations just seem to only work once when battery levels are adequate. I am considering the "memmboot" option but still others have let it sit for days on end( even weeks) and miraculously come alive so my conclusion is this.. even though you currently ( for those who are frustrated and just want to throw in the towel ) have a TP that is "bricked -dead- froze-stuck logo-led flashes" remember how good it was to have it and what price we got them for..small investment...outstanding OS..just an all around piece of technological creation. Be patient or you can find another one still out there believe it or not and still not be out maybe a couple hundred bucks and reload your Profile.. and move on.Im sure considering this if all else fails.. my profile is intact.. or??? wait for Enyo to be fully functional on future devices right?
Many thanks to all who have put forth tireless effort to give there input in helping out those with these many problems that have happened to all our lovely webOS devices and hope our future gets brighter as we diehard webOS users continue to look forward to a new device from a manufacturer who wants it
Merry Christmas and any other Holiday you may celebrate.. be of good cheer!
T4H_KiserSose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 07:56 PM   #78 (permalink)

Thank you so much for this site and forum. I thought my touchpad was DEAD! Refused to charge. Period.
Unplug, replug...nothing!
Then after reading a few of the comments went and played with it again. Tried the volume button. Nothing.
Then tried the on/off button, and it worked! It's once again charging! Thanks again!
Karen Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 07:44 PM   #79 (permalink)

Thanks to this thread I was able to get my Touchpad operational.

I have,

2 Touchpads (one working and one "dead")

2 Touchstones (each connected to wall outlets with its own power adapter)

1 usb cable (oem Samsung that came with phone)

One of my Touchpads stopped working, will not turn and will not charge.
I tried all the methods described in this thread, and nothing.

Dead Touchpad will not charge on touchstone or usb cable so I tried testing both with working Touchpad.
The working Touchpad would charge off both the touchstone and cable, so using the process of elimination I
figured I now have a dead Touchpad the was going to have to be used for spare parts

Before I tossed the dead Touchpad I figured it won't hurt if I test it on the other touchstone that was sitting in the other room. However, considering that the working Touchpad would charge off of the first touchstone/cable I was pretty sure I was just wasting my time.

Fortunately, to my surprise when I placed the dead Touchpad on the touchstone in the other room the home button started blinking :0

How can that be?
I then tried unhooking the touchstone from power adapter and trying the usb cable and even that was working.

So, it seems as if the first power adapter was not able to charge a fully discharged Touchpad but will charge a Touchpad that was not fully discharged.

After letting the dead Touchpad charge for a few minutes it seems to be working fine and will even charge off first touchstone/power adapter.

So basically what I've find out is that the power adapters that came with the Touchpads are crap (which explains why I've had several die on me for no apparent reason) and anybody having the same issue should try another hopefully working power adapter ( note: Touchpads seem picky about power adapter used so one might have to try several before condemning the Touchpad.

Now, I have to try and figure out why my Touchpad got fully discharged in the first place?
ader098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by con500 likes this.
Old 12/29/2012, 09:34 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ader098 View Post
Thanks to this thread I was able to get my Touchpad operational.

I have,

2 Touchpads (one working and one "dead")

2 Touchstones (each connected to wall outlets with its own power adapter)

1 usb cable (oem Samsung that came with phone)

One of my Touchpads stopped working, will not turn and will not charge.
I tried all the methods described in this thread, and nothing.

Dead Touchpad will not charge on touchstone or usb cable so I tried testing both with working Touchpad.
The working Touchpad would charge off both the touchstone and cable, so using the process of elimination I
figured I now have a dead Touchpad the was going to have to be used for spare parts

Before I tossed the dead Touchpad I figured it won't hurt if I test it on the other touchstone that was sitting in the other room. However, considering that the working Touchpad would charge off of the first touchstone/cable I was pretty sure I was just wasting my time.

Fortunately, to my surprise when I placed the dead Touchpad on the touchstone in the other room the home button started blinking :0

How can that be?
I then tried unhooking the touchstone from power adapter and trying the usb cable and even that was working.

So, it seems as if the first power adapter was not able to charge a fully discharged Touchpad but will charge a Touchpad that was not fully discharged.

After letting the dead Touchpad charge for a few minutes it seems to be working fine and will even charge off first touchstone/power adapter.

So basically what I've find out is that the power adapters that came with the Touchpads are crap (which explains why I've had several die on me for no apparent reason) and anybody having the same issue should try another hopefully working power adapter ( note: Touchpads seem picky about power adapter used so one might have to try several before condemning the Touchpad.

Now, I have to try and figure out why my Touchpad got fully discharged in the first place?
I developed the same problem this week. I HP tablet was toasted. Dead on arrival.
After reading all the suggestions here on this site give me hope. I carefully made notes of all the suggestions you guys posted thinking the worst case scenario.
The 1st thing I tried was turning my power outlet plug-in and I saw my back button on my TB start to blink. I rechecked again about 30 mins. later and yes “It’s Alive”. It’s still charging now. If I have any other problems I will post it later.
Many Thanks to everyone.

Last edited by larwon; 12/29/2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: clarification
larwon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hp touch pad, not turning on, won't charge

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0