Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Thank you!! This helped me! I needed to do the reset!

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    do a reset.
    Hold down the center button while also pressing the power button for 15 seconds.

If that doesnt work. then replace your usb cable (yes the ones shipped with the TP are cheaply made and do go bad)

Try another charger (cheap on eBay).

If n one of the abovedoesn't work it's likely you got one with a bad battery and I don't know if HP is warranteeing them. - Available on eBay for $140

I have 4 bad batterys here from units I replaced them in, and heard about so many others that I wonder if discovery of a fault in TP battery's might have been the straw that broke Leo's back last August.
    Same thing happened to me. Tried all the usual tricks. Still dead as a door nail.

Had it for 2 years with few updates. Got tired of wating for someone to come in and save WebOS.

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.0. Then a Galaxy Camera with Android built in.
    Then bought a Galaxy S4.

Now I really know how bad Leo screwed up.
    Palm was years ahead of everyone but Apple.
    With the right investment, they would be where Samsung is know.
    What happened to US investment?

Goodbye WebOS.
    I read in a post somewhere that if you initially trickle charge the TP it will give the battery enough juice to start charging. Thought it was silly, but I let the TP charge off of the computer for a day. and it finally re-booted. then plugged it into the real charger and back in business.

Hope this helps someone...
    its been almost two months since my Touchpad stopped charging BUT I finally got it to work... However, I can't pinpoint what is actually wrong but here are the steps... Also know that I've been trying to charge through many ways like plugging the Touchpad into my computer for day or leaving it in the charging dock for days but none of it had worked.

Yesterday I decided to give it one more try and came across this forum where I read on an earlier post about someone holding down the home button and the raise volume button for a few seconds and got it to charge..

What I did was hold down the HOME button and the power button on the top left corner of the device. I held it for a minute or so and saw the screen flicker on and off for about 6 times. I also removed the Touchpad from its protective case before placing it on the charging dock. Lastly, unlike previous times when I made sure the power adapter had been tightened, this time I used my fingers to press on the spring like prongs inside that you see when you twist open the charging adapter. I blew and shook it a few times too. Plugged it back in and its charging fine again!!!!! it was dead before but now has charged back up to 58% and still charging.

Good luck to you all.. there is still hope for your Touchpad without having to replace batteries, parts or dismantling it xD
    I want to add to the previous post... I have now successfully managed to charge my Touchpad to 100% charge.. you bet I won't be using it until every bit of battery is dead
    I had the same problem and followed the advice to reset the power connector by turning the plug end counter-clockwise and back. It worked, at least for now. I am suspicious of my TouchStone charger, however. It may not be working properly. Although the cable is permanently wired, I turned the end with the plug as I did on the charger. I guess I will have to see if it works after I charge it with the charger that came with the TP.

Thanks for your help!!

o_g
    Last edited by old_geekster; 08/04/2013 at 03:21 PM.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    Mine died this morning

I managed to bring it to live doing

• Made sure the USB wall plugin was working by pluging in phone that has same connection
    • once I saw phone was charging I tried touchpad but touchpad wasn't responding
    • I have a touchstone charger and that didn't work either
    • What eventually worked was going back to the usb wall charger and HITTING the back of the touchpad, that brought on the re-charging sign on screen
    I have replaced my Touchpad battery and still have a white question mark.

I have tried charging the Touchpad on the Touchstone, via USB, via a Pre 3 charging unit, by removing the battery and charging it separately but still just the white question mark.

Is my Touchpad dead?

I have also tried replacing the battery for one that is fully charged and still have the white question mark!

Help!!!
    Last edited by Paulscarbs; 11/02/2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I'd like to add two other procedures I read about on other threads. I got mine back in service after being dead for about 11 months using the first method. I have't tried the other. During those 11 months, I tied everything, power & vol+, power & home, power & home & vol+, pressing power 10, 20, 50 time. trickle charging, full charging, charging on computer, and many combinations. My wife started bugging me to get rid of it.

#1: Unplug the TP from the wall charger, leaving the cable plugged into the charger. Press and hold the vol+ button without pressing any other button. Plug the cable into the TP. Release the vol+ button.

I did this after it had been on the wall charger undisturbed for several weeks It took me several tries. I tied different delays releasing the vol+; less than a sec, about a second, 5 sec, and maybe 10 sec after plugging the TP in. Nothing. I was ready to give up, but tied once more. The home button started blinking! I didn't note how long I delayed releasing vol+. After about six hours, I got the big red low battery icon. In the morning it was showing the lock screen.

I did kill the battery again by putting on a TS that was not plugged in. I tied this trick again with no success. So I left it on the charger and a few hours later the red low battery icon appeared. It's been working ever since. It may not have worked because the battery wasn't hyper-depleted. I don't know.

If it doesn't work, don't give up. Try many times! When the power button blinks, it IS charging!

#2: I didn't get to try this, and I hope I never do: Plug the wall charger into the wall without a cable. Set the TP up to charge on a computer using a powered USB port. Make sure the wall charger and computer or close together. Let it sit for "awhile," maybe an hour or so. Move the USB cable from the computer to the wall charger as quickly as possible. I don't know how long to let it sit, so if it doesn't work, try different times.

I hope this helps someone.
    That's very positive, thanks.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    PS, My TP also had a dysfunctional orientation sensor. It worked under Android, but not WebOS. Now it works just fine. Go figure.
    I had the same problem for a few days. Would wiggle the cord and eventually it would charge but today nothing. After reading people's suggestions about the cord going bad I decided to try the USB cord from my cell phone. Came right up & is charging right now! That was so easy it was scary
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    key point here....when the battery is REALLY low, you will know the charger is working by a tiny Knight Rider like light moving back and forth in the HOME button. As it charges a bit the charging display will show on the screen and the little light in the HOME button goes off.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayor55 View Post
    key point here....when the battery is REALLY low, you will know the charger is working by a tiny Knight Rider like light moving back and forth in the HOME button. As it charges a bit the charging display will show on the screen and the little light in the HOME button goes off.
    Um..wha? Knight Rider light moving back and forth on the home button? What tablet do you have? That button only pulses for notifications... doesn't move back and forth like that.
    Well duh. He got the Kit edition.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    My Veer does Knightrider in the music app when screen is off!
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by pderr View Post

So, this is what worked:
    1. USB cord plugged in to charger connected to power
    2. hold volume up button only -- don't let go and plug USB cord into touchpad

After charging for a few minutes it automatically booted! The charge indicator showed only 3% on the battery. Right now it's still functional and still charging, up to 18%. I think it's going to be OK! Didn't need webos doctor after all, just a hint from its instructions.
    worked for me!!! a month ago I lost hope, I tried this suggestion and it is charging now! Thanks pderr!!!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Um..wha? Knight Rider light moving back and forth on the home button? What tablet do you have? That button only pulses for notifications... doesn't move back and forth like that.
    Newman, I did not believe this either but I finally got the Knight Rider light in the Home Button. I have not had any battery problems on 3 TouchPads (mine, my wife's, and the kids) since I have CM10 current version installed and (if installed correctly) CM10 will automatically shut down the TouchPad before battery gets to zero. Thank you JC Sullins!! This is well documented so look it up please (not you Newman since I am sure you know that).

The problem is that my sister-in-law's TouchPad still had CM9 installed and I did not get a chance to update it for her since she lives a ways from us. She ran the music player but must have had the TPad sitting wrong on the Touchstone so it wasn't charging and the battery died. I had tried every method available on the web and this forum to try to revive it. I finally gave up and thought that if I let it completely DISCHARGE for a few weeks that might work. Well after discharging, I plugged it into a 5V, 0.85A cell charger (instead of the 5V, 2.0A USB Power Adapter that came with the TPad). I got the Knight Rider lights and I felt like lights were coming out of me too due to excitement...I felt like Dr. Frankenstein as I thought this thing would never come back to life!

I then tried holding down the Home and power button for 30 seconds, 80 seconds, etc. to no avail.

I then plugged in the 5V, 2.0A USB Power Adapter that came with the TPad and did the method previously posted:
    USB cord plugged in to charger connect to power. Hold volume up button only -- don't let go and plug USB cord into Touchpad. Release the Vol+ button about one second after plugging the charger into the TP. Battery charge icon should appear on the screen!

....and it worked. I now have a battery icon and it is charging! I am not going to touch it until the morning to see what happens. My sister-in-law will be very happy...and yes, I will update it to CM10 ASAP after it comes back to full Frankenstein life! Yahoo!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    UPDATE: After only about 10 minutes on the 5V, 2.0A USB Power Adapter that came with the TPad, it has rebooted into CM9. This is freakin great! I will let it fully charge and when I have time update it to CM10 current version. Prior to this, I had been thinking about doing the battery surgery so this is great news!
    Quote Originally Posted by kego44 View Post
    I chatted with someone at HP and they helped me find a soloution. If your HP touchpad is not charging, it may be that you have to reset your plugin i.e. the cylinder that you plug into the wall. To reset it, unplug the cylinder from the outlet, remove the usb cable. You then twist the end of the cylinder with the prongs counter clockwise, then you twist it back to its original position. You don't have to twist it that far until you reach resistance in either direction.

There you have just reset your plugin, so plug it in directly to a wall outlet and hopefully you will be able to charge your touchpad. The customer service rep said to leave it plugged in for 2 hours to see if it worked or to get back in touch with them...but almost immediately I saw a white light down by the home key that pulsed back and forth.

Other things I tried.
    I tried plugging the touchpad into my computer before trying this and I don't think you get enough power if your battery has completely drained. I also tried holding down the power button and home button. One of the first things the HP person asked me to try is to hold the power button down and press the home button 15 times. This did not work for me in this case, but may help someone out there.

Hope this helps some people resolve there problems.
    The resetting of the wall charger that came with the Touchpad amazingly seemed to be the missing piece for me. Afterwards the hold the home and power buttons simultaneously for 15+ seconds finally worked!
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast