Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 211
Like Tree16Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazynay View Post
    HP support said if Android is installed and they notice that it is while fixing, there will be a $240-250 charge for the service, even if the issue is not software related.
    Pretty sure that screwing with your bootloader voids your warranty, dude. And by installing Moboot in order to install CM9, that's basically screwing with your bootloader. Cleaning Android completely to an untraceable state isn't really possible at this time, if I remember correctly, so by now they probably know what to look for even if you've attempted to "clean slate" the device.

    I'm a CM9 Touchpad user, but I've pretty much come to terms that while the best-performing OS for the Touchpad isn't the one that came with it (sorry, webOS die-hards, though I still use it from time to time!), there's no chance that, even if I were still covered under warranty (I'm not), I wouldn't send it back knowing that they'd charge me such an insane price. I'd just buy another Touchpad and part out the dysfunctional one instead.
  2. #42  
    Thanks, first time here and got help from my first query.
    Keep up the good work folks.
  3. #43  
    I finally got my wife's tp back up and running. After trying everything, I read somewhere to leave it alone for a 2 weeks off a charger. I then plugged it in to a charger for about an hour and nothing. I thought the charger was good because it would charge my phone and tp without a problem. However, I noticed that it would charge my wife's phone very slowly. So I tried a different charger and cable and within 5 minutes I had the charging symbol on the tp. and in about 20 minutes it had booted and showing 1% charged.
    Brian
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nechasin View Post
    I finally got my wife's tp back up and running. After trying everything, I read somewhere to leave it alone for a 2 weeks off a charger. I then plugged it in to a charger for about an hour and nothing. I thought the charger was good because it would charge my phone and tp without a problem. However, I noticed that it would charge my wife's phone very slowly. So I tried a different charger and cable and within 5 minutes I had the charging symbol on the tp. and in about 20 minutes it had booted and showing 1% charged.
    I wish I had your luck. I've tried various combinations of charging / not-charging, & can't seem to get my wife's tp to wake up.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
    I wish I had your luck. I've tried various combinations of charging / not-charging, & can't seem to get my wife's tp to wake up.
    lets it sit and forget about it for 2 or 3 weeks , then plug it in for a while . Seems to be what works for most peeps
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    lets it sit and forget about it for 2 or 3 weeks , then plug it in for a while . Seems to be what works for most peeps
    Tried that already, wife's getting impatient.
    Gonna bust it open soon if I can't make some progresss
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
    Tried that already, wife's getting impatient.
    Gonna bust it open soon if I can't make some progresss
    have tried the trickle charge yet? Or try the plug into computer while holding the volume up button? Wouldn't hurt to try again
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
    Tried that already, wife's getting impatient.
    Gonna bust it open soon if I can't make some progresss
    I get the sense these things have hit End of Life and are dying like flies all of a sudden.

    One of mine modded to CM9 dual boot died - perhaps from moderate to heavy use this past year. I've tried just about everything mentioned including trickle charge, checking to make sure stock charger wasn't loose, charging straight for a week, various button combinations - nothing. It's completely dead as a doornail, no flashing LED nada. IT was left indoors at the temp got up to 90Fin the house but I don't see how that could have killed it.

    TO make matters worse, popped it open and Voltage reads about 2.4V so sounds like a dead battery. Unfortunately the power button was toastified in teh process of opening (button intact but the metal contact switch piece must have come loose/pushing button=no springy action can't find it either). Question: Should I try a ebay replacement battery - sure hate to waste a good TP if can be brought back to life with a 25$ ebay battery.

    Main Concern: **Would it still work w/o power button? From what I can tell plugging into USB should cause a TP to wake-up? Would the various button combinations be enough to cause it to power up.

    @Shadavis08 - I'm gonna try the 2 weeks off charger idea and then come back and see if anything happens. If still no luck I might venture out and try a ebay battery.
  9. #49  
    I just brought one "dead" one up, I had it sitting on a touchstone and with a usb connection plugged in for several hours, but all it would do is show me the battery icon. Plugged it into the stock 2.0A charger, and it lit up in about 15 minutes.

    Anyone who wants to dump their touchpad, i'd be happy to take them
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    xandros9 likes this.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    have tried the trickle charge yet? Or try the plug into computer while holding the volume up button? Wouldn't hurt to try again
    Tried the trickle charge, also tried various buttons while plugged in to the computer, but prob didn't do that combination just right..
    I'll try that wen I get home tonight
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    I get the sense these things have hit End of Life and are dying like flies all of a sudden.

    One of mine modded to CM9 dual boot died - perhaps from moderate to heavy use this past year. I've tried just about everything mentioned including trickle charge, checking to make sure stock charger wasn't loose, charging straight for a week, various button combinations - nothing. It's completely dead as a doornail, no flashing LED nada. IT was left indoors at the temp got up to 90Fin the house but I don't see how that could have killed it.

    TO make matters worse, popped it open and Voltage reads about 2.4V so sounds like a dead battery. Unfortunately the power button was toastified in teh process of opening (button intact but the metal contact switch piece must have come loose/pushing button=no springy action can't find it either). Question: Should I try a ebay replacement battery - sure hate to waste a good TP if can be brought back to life with a 25$ ebay battery.

    Main Concern: **Would it still work w/o power button? From what I can tell plugging into USB should cause a TP to wake-up? Would the various button combinations be enough to cause it to power up.

    @Shadavis08 - I'm gonna try the 2 weeks off charger idea and then come back and see if anything happens. If still no luck I might venture out and try a ebay battery.
    Cybersprashant, I bought an ebay battery, replaced the old one, and I'm still as dead as a doornail. I presume that means that it's necessary to have a separate charger to be sure the new batter is charged (?) No button combinations (including volume up while plugging to computer) or touchstone or different chargers have worked for me. No lights, no nothing, just dead.
  12. #52  
    you should try what eblade did , plug into USB on computer for several hours then switch to stock charger and wait and see . Then try all the other ways people have got theirs to start up in here.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by freecicero View Post
    Cybersprashant, I bought an ebay battery, replaced the old one, and I'm still as dead as a doornail. I presume that means that it's necessary to have a separate charger to be sure the new batter is charged (?) No button combinations (including volume up while plugging to computer) or touchstone or different chargers have worked for me. No lights, no nothing, just dead.
    Anyone know of a safe practical way to charge the battery separate from the tp?

    I saw where someone had success reviving their battery with a special li-po charger for a r/c car.
    Maybe that gives me an excuse to buy a new toy
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
    Anyone know of a safe practical way to charge the battery separate from the tp?

    I saw where someone had success reviving their battery with a special li-po charger for a r/c car.
    Maybe that gives me an excuse to buy a new toy
    Maybe you can yank the battery out and charge it with a laptop? Per TechRepublic's teardown (Cracking Open the HP TouchPad: 3.7V 600mAh 22.2Wh battery - Front | 47 of 74), there are 7 wires on the connector, two black, two red, and three other colors (with one green). If you look for laptop battery pinouts, there are various ones, the one standing out being the Dell one (Inside a DELL D610 battery :: connector, pinout and signal timing | The Laptop Junction), with 9 pins. While that's not a match, you can still tell that the black ones are V-, red ones V+, green likely to be ground (though not confirmed through the linked article), and the others for data and ID. While I am not suggesting anyone do this, it could be possible to charge the battery by making a converter and plugging it in to an HP laptop.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by freecicero View Post
    Cybersprashant, I bought an ebay battery, replaced the old one, and I'm still as dead as a doornail. I presume that means that it's necessary to have a separate charger to be sure the new batter is charged (?) No button combinations (including volume up while plugging to computer) or touchstone or different chargers have worked for me. No lights, no nothing, just dead.
    I'm suspicious mine is in the same shape as you above - there was no indication that the battery was dying out so I'm suspicious its actually something else wrong too - battery life was great before it died. It just went completely dead as a doornail one day.

    @Shadavis - tried the USB charger and then stock charger and even USB charger and Pre charger to no avail. On day 3 of a 2 week hiatus - seeing if a full drain and then I'll be back in 2 weeks to post an update.

    ** Luckily I have another TP. Maybe I need a new toy - there's a rumored nexus 10 tablet coming out? (would it easy to mod to open webos/Andriod dual boot hypothetically one day??)
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    I'm suspicious mine is in the same shape as you above - there was no indication that the battery was dying out so I'm suspicious its actually something else wrong too - battery life was great before it died. It just went completely dead as a doornail one day.
    )
    Were you charging it on a touchstone when it happened?
    Ivan Yosifov likes this.
  17. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    no just the original TP charger
    Well, that shoots down my theory.
  18. #59  
    Very interesting thread, but there still doesn't seem to be a definitive cause/solution.
  19. Semma2's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #60  
    I've seen my TP go into high-drain mode for no apparent reason, no apps apparently running but battery dropping more than 10% per hour. I suspect a malfunctioning zombie app. A reboot fixed it. But if that happened to you and you walked away and left the TP for less than a day, it might be in dead battery syndrome before you realized it.

    Another possible trick has been suggested that I know works for a GPS I have that has similar battery issues: Keep plugging and unplugging the charger, leaving it in for a few seconds at a time. This seems to squirt a brief charge into the battery before the circuitry decides that it's dead and cuts it off. Each time you do this the battery gains a little more charge. Eventually after 20-30 tries, it suddenly has enough charge to spring to life and start charging properly (my GPS takes about 5 tries when it's dead, but the TP has bigger battery). People may be doing this inadvertently when they test multiple possible charging solutions, and they don't realize what it was that actually helped.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions