02/08/2012, 08:36 PM
If you want the short version skip down to the fifth paragraph.
I awoke in a pool of sweat head filled with dread thinking "Oh no!". At the time the source of my angst was not known but I felt an emptiness as one might feel as the metaphoric sun involuntarily sets on a relationship. After collecting my thoughts and iterating over what could possibly cause such an abrupt sense of urgency it dawned on me that one of my gadgets is in trouble. I threw open the gadget cabinet and immediately began triage. Nook Color, good; POS Phone, good (dang it!); TouchPad #1, good; TouchPad #2...
Power on, nada; power + home * 60 seconds, nope; repeat in disbelief, nope; power + volume+ * 60 seconds, nope; power + tap home * 100, nope; power + volume- + volume+ + home * 120 seconds, okay this is getting ridiculous;
Remove from touchstone and plug into wall. Try to get some sleep and see what the morning brings. The sun rises and the situation did not improve. Try it all again, you were half-asleep and you were probably not even hitting the buttons. Nope it's dead, gone, not coming back, belly up, etc...
Normally in a situation where a TouchPad is dead and cannot be revived through button finger gymnastics any reasonable person would just send the bugger in and have HP figure it out... I am not normal. Never have been never will be.
This is not for the faint of heart. Do not proceed unless you have read through the instructions and are comfortable with spudgers and more importantly LiPo batteries. Charging LiPo batteries can be dangerous and if not done properly can cause fires.
1. Using my metal spudger I followed the instructions in the iFixIt TouchPad app (listed under Mac/Tablets :|) and removed the front bezel and the three electrical connectors connecting the bezel/screen to the bottom half.
2. Rather than going through the lengthy process of removing everything suggested in the iFixIt guide I simply removed the three screws holding in the battery and gently worked the battery up from the binding adhesive below it.
3. I then gently pulled on the battery to disconnect the battery from the underside of the motherboard (not exposed). I gently lifted the mother board so that I could pull the connector all the way out freeing the battery.
4. Being an RC airplane pilot and having the equipment to support such a hobby I pulled out my trusty LiPo charger.
5. I then bent two thin copper wires about 3/4" in length into a u shape and pushed one into the last two connector openings on each side connecting both red wires to each other and both black wires to each other. I can't stress the importance of not crossing the wrong wires if you haven't seen a LiPo battery fire I encourage you to check one or two out on YouTube.
6. Using the alligator clips supplied with my charger I connected the positive (red) and negative (black) outputs of my charger to the wires I fabricated that are now dangling out of the battery. Once again do not let the two clips or wires cross!!! You, your mamma and your baby momma will be sad for you if you do. Trust me, Jesus would NOT do that.
7. I then put the battery very gently into my fireproof charging box, and ran a battery test with my fancy charger. Battery shows 2.8 volts. Not good. At this point I am guessing that the battery does not have enough juice to power the charging circuitry in the TouchPad so it will not charge. Either that or the TP has circuitry that prevents it from charging if the voltage is too low.
8. I turned on the charger and put 1200mah in the 6600mah battery charging it at a safe 2.5 amp rate.
9. Finally I reinstalled the battery in the reverse order of the above instructions, pushed the power button and bing! There is the battery icon I so longed to see again. After a few hours on the charger the TouchPad is back at full strength.
Boy that was a long way to say I put some charge on the battery of my dead touchpad and brought it back to life. Anyway even if you don't attempt this I hope the information is useful for someone who wonders why their TP died and what HP might have done to fix it. Enjoy!