webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > How I Revived My Dead TouchPad
How I Revived My Dead TouchPad
Like Tree15Likes

Old 02/08/2012, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If you want the short version skip down to the fifth paragraph.

I awoke in a pool of sweat head filled with dread thinking "Oh no!". At the time the source of my angst was not known but I felt an emptiness as one might feel as the metaphoric sun involuntarily sets on a relationship. After collecting my thoughts and iterating over what could possibly cause such an abrupt sense of urgency it dawned on me that one of my gadgets is in trouble. I threw open the gadget cabinet and immediately began triage. Nook Color, good; POS Phone, good (dang it!); TouchPad #1, good; TouchPad #2...

Power on, nada; power + home * 60 seconds, nope; repeat in disbelief, nope; power + volume+ * 60 seconds, nope; power + tap home * 100, nope; power + volume- + volume+ + home * 120 seconds, okay this is getting ridiculous;

Remove from touchstone and plug into wall. Try to get some sleep and see what the morning brings. The sun rises and the situation did not improve. Try it all again, you were half-asleep and you were probably not even hitting the buttons. Nope it's dead, gone, not coming back, belly up, etc...

Normally in a situation where a TouchPad is dead and cannot be revived through button finger gymnastics any reasonable person would just send the bugger in and have HP figure it out... I am not normal. Never have been never will be.

This is not for the faint of heart. Do not proceed unless you have read through the instructions and are comfortable with spudgers and more importantly LiPo batteries. Charging LiPo batteries can be dangerous and if not done properly can cause fires.

1. Using my metal spudger I followed the instructions in the iFixIt TouchPad app (listed under Mac/Tablets :|) and removed the front bezel and the three electrical connectors connecting the bezel/screen to the bottom half.
2. Rather than going through the lengthy process of removing everything suggested in the iFixIt guide I simply removed the three screws holding in the battery and gently worked the battery up from the binding adhesive below it.
3. I then gently pulled on the battery to disconnect the battery from the underside of the motherboard (not exposed). I gently lifted the mother board so that I could pull the connector all the way out freeing the battery.
4. Being an RC airplane pilot and having the equipment to support such a hobby I pulled out my trusty LiPo charger.
5. I then bent two thin copper wires about 3/4" in length into a u shape and pushed one into the last two connector openings on each side connecting both red wires to each other and both black wires to each other. I can't stress the importance of not crossing the wrong wires if you haven't seen a LiPo battery fire I encourage you to check one or two out on YouTube.
6. Using the alligator clips supplied with my charger I connected the positive (red) and negative (black) outputs of my charger to the wires I fabricated that are now dangling out of the battery. Once again do not let the two clips or wires cross!!! You, your mamma and your baby momma will be sad for you if you do. Trust me, Jesus would NOT do that.
7. I then put the battery very gently into my fireproof charging box, and ran a battery test with my fancy charger. Battery shows 2.8 volts. Not good. At this point I am guessing that the battery does not have enough juice to power the charging circuitry in the TouchPad so it will not charge. Either that or the TP has circuitry that prevents it from charging if the voltage is too low.
8. I turned on the charger and put 1200mah in the 6600mah battery charging it at a safe 2.5 amp rate.
9. Finally I reinstalled the battery in the reverse order of the above instructions, pushed the power button and bing! There is the battery icon I so longed to see again. After a few hours on the charger the TouchPad is back at full strength.

Boy that was a long way to say I put some charge on the battery of my dead touchpad and brought it back to life. Anyway even if you don't attempt this I hope the information is useful for someone who wonders why their TP died and what HP might have done to fix it. Enjoy!
kjhenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Marcftl, Rnp, cyberprashant and 2 others like this.
Old 02/08/2012, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

so why wouldnt it just charge ? is the charger working properly ?
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2012, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
so why wouldnt it just charge ? is the charger working properly ?
I tried both of my chargers and the touchstone. I have read that others have had this problem but in the end they sent it to HP. I think the battery gets too low and prevents the charging circuit from functioning correctly. I am guessing this was stuck in a software loop and didn't shut down allowing the battery to get this low. 2.8 volts is below the critical low voltage battery on a single cell LiPo. Normally circuitry will force a cutoff at around 3.2v.
Old 02/08/2012, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Interesting read. I hope it never happens to me!
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2012, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Kjhenrie, thanks for all your work in this. Maybe someone at HP can look into the A6 firmware and see exactly where the problem lies. Next question is; how to get a baseline charge in the battery w/o a special charger. :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by woosh likes this.
Old 02/10/2012, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
I tried both of my chargers and the touchstone. I have read that others have had this problem but in the end they sent it to HP. I think the battery gets too low and prevents the charging circuit from functioning correctly. I am guessing this was stuck in a software loop and didn't shut down allowing the battery to get this low. 2.8 volts is below the critical low voltage battery on a single cell LiPo. Normally circuitry will force a cutoff at around 3.2v.
I had the same thing happen to me. I am pretty sure it was because I had the unit in it's case, and resting on the touchstone. The touchstone will charge through leather case, but if you are off a bit it will not.
So I woke to find a dead TP. Since I had only had the unit for 40 days I was able to bring it back and get it swapped out, but it's good to know how I can jump start the unit if it ever happens again.

If I had to Guess, I would say you are correct: Not enough voltage to even fire up the charging mechanism. Seems a little stupid that circuitry would be powered by incoming voltage...
Revertit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2012, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

If this is the case of being too low to allow the charge circut to work. I would be very concerned about the brand new TouchPads sitting in sealed boxes for long stretches of time like the ones being held on to just in case of breakage, etc.
dangerous340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by woosh likes this.
Old 02/22/2012, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Had this problem. Charger is good (works on other TP's) and Im not going to break it apart. Any other solutions out there?
spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think I have the same exact issue with the battery.

My Touchpad had an issue with the Touchstone where the Touchpad would just keep saying "Charging" over and over.

I would usually catch this and take the Touchpad off the Touchstone until it settled out. It had happened once before and I woke up to the dead battery icon and an overnight charge fixed it.

This time I had the sound turned off and did not hear the multiple beeping and went to sleep.

In the morning, the unit was DEAD!

Nothing from pressing any buttons or charging for over a week.

I am sure it has the same issue that was presented in this thread but I m not sure enough of my ability to open the unit and try what was posted.

Unfortunately, HP does not have a clue and I have to find someone to send this to for repair.

So the question of the day is, has anyone used a repair service that they are happy with and who are they?

Please let me know.

Thanks Marc
marcftl@gmail.com
Marcftl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2012, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcftl View Post
I think I have the same exact issue with the battery.

My Touchpad had an issue with the Touchstone where the Touchpad would just keep saying "Charging" over and over.

I would usually catch this and take the Touchpad off the Touchstone until it settled out. It had happened once before and I woke up to the dead battery icon and an overnight charge fixed it.

This time I had the sound turned off and did not hear the multiple beeping and went to sleep.

In the morning, the unit was DEAD!

Nothing from pressing any buttons or charging for over a week.

I am sure it has the same issue that was presented in this thread but I m not sure enough of my ability to open the unit and try what was posted.

Unfortunately, HP does not have a clue and I have to find someone to send this to for repair.

So the question of the day is, has anyone used a repair service that they are happy with and who are they?

Please let me know.

Thanks Marc
marcftl@gmail.com
It is looking more and more like this has something to do with the touchstone. Mine was on the touchstone when it had this problem and a few others have reported the same. I think you might be on to something with the "Charging" indicator loop.

I think the challenge with repairing these is that it's tough to disassemble the TouchPad without leaving some damage around the edge of the case and breaking a number of the retaining clips. It's tough to see the damage on mine but if you look close you can see some marks where I gently separated the two halves. I broke a few of the retaining clips but it still holds together well. This was my first time splitting the case so now that I know how the clips work I am sure the next time it will be easier and with luck there will be less damage. In hindsight I wish I would have measured where the battery connector is so that if this happens again I can just cut out a small opening through the back of the case, charge it, and cover the opening with a nice looking black metallic sticker.

I am not aware of anyone who repairs this but I am guessing there is going to be a demand for TP repair as this and other issues start cropping up.
Old 03/23/2012, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Only slightly less scary - you still have to open the case - but, buy a new battery (I've seen the specs somewhere on this board), and replace it. Rather than trying to use the specialized charger with alligator clips & hoping you don't fry something by accident.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2012, 05:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the great advice! I happen to have a couple of lipo chargers available for my planes too, so I'll try that. I've read that if the voltage is too low you can charge it in NIMH mode until it reaches 3 volts...
diosif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2012, 11:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

If you can't pull a charge from the TP wall plug charger, and you know the cheap TP USB cable hasn't gone bad, here is the next thing to try: Go get a standard, low power, USB charger (like for your cellphone, or if need be use your computer's regular USB port). Plug the bugger in on your wimpy little USB cell phone charger and let it trickle charge at that low, 1000mAmp rate for a couple of hours and see what happens. I revived mine doing this, after the TP wall charger did nothing for 14 hours. It appears that if the voltage drops too low, the only way to charge it is using the standard USB voltage and not the higher voltage normally fed out by the TP wall plug or Touchstone. Definitely try this before you go through all the trouble of pulling the thing apart.
teamw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2012, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

I awoke in a pool of sweat head filled with dread thinking "Oh no!". At the time the source of my angst was not known but I felt an emptiness as one might feel as the metaphoric sun involuntarily sets on a relationship. After collecting my thoughts and iterating over what could possibly cause such an abrupt sense of urgency it dawned on me that one of my gadgets is in trouble. I threw open the gadget cabinet and immediately began triage. Nook Color, good; POS Phone, good (dang it!); TouchPad #1, good; TouchPad #2...

Power on, nada; power + home * 60 seconds, nope; repeat in disbelief, nope; power + volume+ * 60 seconds, nope; power + tap home * 100, nope; power + volume- + volume+ + home * 120 seconds, okay this is getting ridiculous;

Remove from touchstone and plug into wall. Try to get some sleep and see what the morning brings. The sun rises and the situation did not improve. Try it all again, you were half-asleep and you were probably not even hitting the buttons. Nope it's dead, gone, not coming back, belly up, etc...

Normally in a situation where a TouchPad is dead and cannot be revived through button finger gymnastics any reasonable person would just send the bugger in and have HP figure it out... I am not normal. Never have been never will be.

This is not for the faint of heart. Do not proceed unless you have read through the instructions and are comfortable with spudgers and more importantly LiPo batteries. Charging LiPo batteries can be dangerous and if not done properly can cause fires.

1. Using my metal spudger I followed the instructions in the iFixIt TouchPad app (listed under Mac/Tablets :|) and removed the front bezel and the three electrical connectors connecting the bezel/screen to the bottom half.
2. Rather than going through the lengthy process of removing everything suggested in the iFixIt guide I simply removed the three screws holding in the battery and gently worked the battery up from the binding adhesive below it.
3. I then gently pulled on the battery to disconnect the battery from the underside of the motherboard (not exposed). I gently lifted the mother board so that I could pull the connector all the way out freeing the battery.
4. Being an RC airplane pilot and having the equipment to support such a hobby I pulled out my trusty LiPo charger.
5. I then bent two thin copper wires about 3/4" in length into a u shape and pushed one into the last two connector openings on each side connecting both red wires to each other and both black wires to each other. I can't stress the importance of not crossing the wrong wires if you haven't seen a LiPo battery fire I encourage you to check one or two out on YouTube.
6. Using the alligator clips supplied with my charger I connected the positive (red) and negative (black) outputs of my charger to the wires I fabricated that are now dangling out of the battery. Once again do not let the two clips or wires cross!!! You, your mamma and your baby momma will be sad for you if you do. Trust me, Jesus would NOT do that.
7. I then put the battery very gently into my fireproof charging box, and ran a battery test with my fancy charger. Battery shows 2.8 volts. Not good. At this point I am guessing that the battery does not have enough juice to power the charging circuitry in the TouchPad so it will not charge. Either that or the TP has circuitry that prevents it from charging if the voltage is too low.
8. I turned on the charger and put 1200mah in the 6600mah battery charging it at a safe 2.5 amp rate.
9. Finally I reinstalled the battery in the reverse order of the above instructions, pushed the power button and bing! There is the battery icon I so longed to see again. After a few hours on the charger the TouchPad is back at full strength.

Boy that was a long way to say I put some charge on the battery of my dead touchpad and brought it back to life. Anyway even if you don't attempt this I hope the information is useful for someone who wonders why their TP died and what HP might have done to fix it. Enjoy!
Thanks! i did the same thing..
this n00b again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2012, 11:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Looks like there's a lot going on in that photo. Do you happen to have a close up? I've purchased a new battery and installed but still get the same battery with ? symbol. I'm considering buying a Li-Po charger and attempting this myself as I have already voided warranty and taken the thing apart multiple times.

Just jumping the 2 red together and 2 black together will charge the separate cells evenly?
kkl0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2012, 05:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have a couple of TouchPads, Love 'em. Using CM9 regularly on one, had it sitting forever, with the Touchstone, and using different miniUSB chargers. On one of them, sitting in CM9, somehow it discharged. I thought I had bricked it, trying everything. I made sure overnight I had it using a valid HP charger.

hold the home and power button down for about 30 seconds and see if you can force a reboot.
If no luck, ... This saved me:

2nd thing to try is to hold down the up-volume button and the power button at the same time. That should put you in emergenct/recovery mode. Instead of running the doctor at this point, turn it off and then on, or try forcing a reboot with the home/power button action.

After the reset above, it still wasn't booting, but then I tried the Home/Power again, or holding just the Power, and wala, it somehow reset.

Don't give up! You may be able to bring it back.
Old 06/09/2012, 05:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks! I too am into the R/C scene(cars, however. planes are too expensive!). I didn't use my touchpad for about 2 weeks, and didn't charge it either, so it ran down the battery to the point where it was only 2.2v. I was planning on doing this before finding your thread, but this gave me the reassurance that the problem is easily solved.

Thanks!

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
eovnu87435ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2012, 05:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl0wn View Post
Looks like there's a lot going on in that photo. Do you happen to have a close up? I've purchased a new battery and installed but still get the same battery with ? symbol. I'm considering buying a Li-Po charger and attempting this myself as I have already voided warranty and taken the thing apart multiple times.

Just jumping the 2 red together and 2 black together will charge the separate cells evenly?
since they are in parallel, they should always be within +- .01v of each other. You can charge them as if they were one battery.

As for the charger, these work great.
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories
Note that it does NOT come with a power adaptor. Either you can use a 12-16v laptop charger that has the right size barrel plug, or use the supplied barrel connecter to alligator clips to connect it to your car's battery. Or buy an adapter from their site too.
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Hobbyking 105W 15V/7A Switching DC Power Supply

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
eovnu87435ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: cyberprashant
Old 06/16/2012, 08:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks teamw23!!!!!

"If you can't pull a charge from the TP wall plug charger, and you know the cheap TP USB cable hasn't gone bad, here is the next thing to try: Go get a standard, low power, USB charger (like for your cellphone, or if need be use your computer's regular USB port). Plug the bugger in on your wimpy little USB cell phone charger and let it trickle charge at that low, 1000mAmp rate for a couple of hours and see what happens. I revived mine doing this, after the TP wall charger did nothing for 14 hours. It appears that if the voltage drops too low, the only way to charge it is using the standard USB voltage and not the higher voltage normally fed out by the TP wall plug or Touchstone. Definitely try this before you go through all the trouble of pulling the thing apart."

I hope this works for you. I just used an htc usb with the htc wall charger. Juiced the tp just enough
scott.ranieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: lisags1223
Old 06/20/2012, 12:00 AM   #20 (permalink)

I took my battery out and I wasn't able to get the voltage to measure on my voltmeter from the right poles. If I took the yellow wire and another, I was able to read 1.8v. Otherwise I didn't get anything on just the red and black.
akpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0