webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > How I Revived My Dead TouchPad
How I Revived My Dead TouchPad
Like Tree15Likes

Old 01/25/2013, 04:05 PM   #81 (permalink)

I have the same issue too... Only difference is I haven't used my TP in over 7 months so the battery drained on it's own and today when I plugged my TP into the wall charger nothing happened I just saw a black screen... Although I did notice that the home button has a white strip running from the left to right and vice versa... Do any of you know if this is normal and if it will just need time to recharge??? It's been on the charger for the last 4 hours and I still have not seen the logo come on nor have I been able to turn it on... PLEASE HELP!!!!
Honie Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 06:50 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honie Lo View Post
I have the same issue too... Only difference is I haven't used my TP in over 7 months so the battery drained on it's own and today when I plugged my TP into the wall charger nothing happened I just saw a black screen... Although I did notice that the home button has a white strip running from the left to right and vice versa... Do any of you know if this is normal and if it will just need time to recharge??? It's been on the charger for the last 4 hours and I still have not seen the logo come on nor have I been able to turn it on... PLEASE HELP!!!!
i have the same Problem, the withe strips running and after a while its starting. So works for me. Sound's the Battery was very down.
GMike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 01:10 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honie Lo View Post
Just let it plugged in it should boot eventually
lifeisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 01:03 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pderr View Post
I had this problem too -- my touchpad has been dead for over a week. It died when the battery was low and I didn't set it properly on the touchstone chager. I tried every suggestion I read short of opening it up to charge the battery.
Finally I decided to try webos doctor. The instructions say to connect the powered-off touchpad to the USB cable while holding the volume up button. I tried this with the USB cable connected to the plugged-in charger and a battery charge icon appeared on the screen!

So, this is what worked:
1. USB cord plugged in to charger connect to power
2. hold volume up button only -- don't let go and plug USB cord into touchpad

After charging for a few minutes it automatically booted! The charge indicator showed only 3% on the battery. Right now it's still functional and charging, up to 15%. I think it's going to be OK!
lt worked! Thanks so much. I had tried everything.
Gary
Gary Kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2013, 06:58 AM   #85 (permalink)

Hi, I tried pretty much all combinations of chargers and buttons. Had no luck until I plugged it into an old USB hub I had lying around. Plugged into the power port and within a few seconds I had a left & right flashing light on the menu button. That soon went out (might have been the fact that the PC went into sleep). Anyway I then plugged it into the HP plug (btw - check the micro usb cable as mine had become faulty). Waited about 10 minutes then pressed the power & menu button and the TP sparked into life with the battery charging graphic. My 3 year old is now a happy child again...

Hope this helps someone. The USB hub I have is an old Targus one.
pgriffo_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman and scjjtt like this.
Old 05/05/2013, 05:15 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
If you want the short version skip down to the fifth paragraph.
Boy that was a long way to say I put some charge on the battery of my dead touchpad and brought it back to life. Anyway even if you don't attempt this I hope the information is useful for someone who wonders why their TP died and what HP might have done to fix it. Enjoy!
Worked for me - thanks so much! For the record I used two bent staples to go in the holes, and a universal battery charger which has polarity detection - some trepidation but it seems to have done the job. Mine looks like the one in the picture below, I've also used it in the past to kick-start an OQO battery in a similar state...

<<link deleted>>

Last edited by bevcraw; 05/05/2013 at 11:49 AM.
jonno10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2013, 10:56 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry of Astoria View Post
Mine wouldn't charge on the HP charger, and I tried all button combinations to no avail. NO response. Dead.
I took some of the advice I found here and let it sit on the USB cable on the computer for several hours, during which I saw at one point the alternating flashing on the home button light. When i disconnected it from the computer, it seemed dead still, but NOW when I tried the on button/home button combo, it flashed the low battery image in the middle of the screen. I connected it forthwith to the HP charger, upon which it resumed the alternating flashing home button light. A few minutes later, it booted up CM9 and said "Charging - 17%"
w00t!
Same thing dude I was stressed out tried everything it is now at 20% and charging.
Thanks
mrmatt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2013, 01:05 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc983 View Post
Can anyone explain the connector or wires coming out of the touchpad battery? There are 2 red, 2 black, 1 blue, 1 yellow, and 1 green. If I check the red and black with a volt meter - I get zero. If I check the red and green I get about 2.5v. If I want to try charging this battery with a lipo charger - how should you connect to the charger? One red one black or put a jumper between the two reds and one between the two blacks charge from these connectors. I guess what I don't understand is why I don't see any voltage when I check the reds/blacks.
The Touchpad battery contains two cells. Each of the red and black wires connect to one of the cells. When charging ensure both red are connected to positive etc.

Had one of my Touchpads on trickle charge for two days - I simply receive the battery icon with a question mark. Anyone know what this means? I suspect one of the cells is dead.

Thinking about buying one of these:
Genuine HP 9.7in Touchpad tablet li-polymer battery 6000 mAh 3.7v HSTNH-I29C | eBay

Has anyone had experience of these batteries? Are they OEM quality?
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2013, 02:16 PM   #89 (permalink)

Generally the big question mark means it needs more charge. But not sure it could have other meanings.

Sent from my SGS3 using Xparent blue Tapatalk
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2013, 09:47 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
The Touchpad battery contains two cells. Each of the red and black wires connect to one of the cells. When charging ensure both red are connected to positive etc.

Had one of my Touchpads on trickle charge for two days - I simply receive the battery icon with a question mark. Anyone know what this means? I suspect one of the cells is dead.

Thinking about buying one of these:
Genuine HP 9.7in Touchpad tablet li-polymer battery 6000 mAh 3.7v HSTNH-I29C | eBay

Has anyone had experience of these batteries? Are they OEM quality?
Bought a battery for my Touchpad from another seller, so I can't say if this would be identical to the one I got..

But mine was identical to the original and worked fine...

From the picture, that looks identical.

It helped get my Touchpad back to life (but still needed to do the Ubuntu Fix for the charging unit), and once I got my Touchpad working, I did put the original battery back in (and it charged fine) and have kept the new one as my backup.. as I have 3 Touchpads, I'll need to swap batteries at some point.
Old 08/11/2013, 03:27 PM   #91 (permalink)

I've been trying for months, (it might be up to a year now) to revive my TP. I tried leaving it on a charger, plugging, unplugging, button presses of every conceivable combination. In all this time the only sign of life was the home button blink exactly once.

I jotted down your instructions, along with another from another thread. I had very little hope this would work. I tired your's first because it was simpler. It took several attempts, but I got the home button blinking left-right! It's charging right now and I think I might be able to revive it! From what I read here, it should be charging when the home button is blinking in this fashion.

I thought I'd killed the golden goose. The first time I got it blinking, I waited a few minutes, then decided to see if it work on the Touchstone. It didn't work (I didn't try too hard) and it took a few tries to get going again on the USB charger. Whew! If you can't get it to work the first time, keep trying. I don't know if it makes a difference, but the two time I got it to work, I released the Vol+ button about one second after plugging the charger into the TP. It did not work if I released the button quicker or slower. To be fair, it didn't work several times releasing it after one second.

The other instructions I didn't try: plug the charger into the wall without a cable. Then connect the TP to a powered USB port on a computer with the HP cable and let it sit a short while. Then move the USB end of the cable from the computer to the plugged-in wall charger as quickly as possible.

I'll report back with an update....

Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pderr View Post
I had this problem too -- my touchpad has been dead for over a week. It died when the battery was low and I didn't set it properly on the touchstone chager. I tried every suggestion I read short of opening it up to charge the battery.
Finally I decided to try webos doctor. The instructions say to connect the powered-off touchpad to the USB cable while holding the volume up button. I tried this with the USB cable connected to the plugged-in charger and a battery charge icon appeared on the screen!

So, this is what worked:
1. USB cord plugged in to charger connect to power
2. hold volume up button only -- don't let go and plug USB cord into touchpad

After charging for a few minutes it automatically booted! The charge indicator showed only 3% on the battery. Right now it's still functional and charging, up to 15%. I think it's going to be OK!
Update: At 10:35, after about 6 hrs of charging with a left-right blinking home button, the big battery icon showed. Some hours later, I noticed the home button was blinking two pulses. I hit the power button and opened to the lock screen! Yeah! Back in business! Thanks so much!

Last edited by tjgriffin; 08/12/2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Update status
tjgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2013, 02:53 AM   #92 (permalink)

I purchased a new battery, installed it and still have the white question mark.

Do I have a bricked Touchpad?

How could I restore it?
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2013, 06:08 PM   #93 (permalink)

So, I have a thunder AC6 charger (Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software) and when I tried to charge the battery following the procedure above. The charger start and after 30 seconds got a message that the battery is fully charge. Any idea? Also. Can I use the deans connector (see URL Link above) to connect the battery directly to the charger?
jpmche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2013, 09:35 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamw23 View Post
If you can't pull a charge from the TP wall plug charger, and you know the cheap TP USB cable hasn't gone bad, here is the next thing to try: Go get a standard, low power, USB charger (like for your cellphone, or if need be use your computer's regular USB port). Plug the bugger in on your wimpy little USB cell phone charger and let it trickle charge at that low, 1000mAmp rate for a couple of hours and see what happens. I revived mine doing this, after the TP wall charger did nothing for 14 hours. It appears that if the voltage drops too low, the only way to charge it is using the standard USB voltage and not the higher voltage normally fed out by the TP wall plug or Touchstone. Definitely try this before you go through all the trouble of pulling the thing apart.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
After two weeks of a dead HP Tablet and trying every trick my searches suggested, I found this one above...using the charger for my cell phone and charging the Touchpad at a low voltage. I plugged it in yesterday to the wall outlet and instead of coming back to a black screen this morning and no flickering white light on the front button, I had BOTH! I also had a message that the charge was too low. It had charged to about half the battery capacity. I unplugged and then plugged in the HP charger that came with the Touchpad and, to my great happiness, I once again have a fully charged, working Touchpad.
DaisyGirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2014, 11:59 AM   #95 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistacom View Post
I found a web page Palm Support : Troubleshooting webOS Doctor
that said to charge a HP touchpad that is dead you follow these steps:
1 Hold power button and push home button 10 times. This put the Touchpad into a low power mode.
2 Now Hold the volume up and the power buttons until the battery icon and plug symbol show up (10 seconds) plug your touchpad in with the wall charger.

Charge the device until it powers up. (I am at this point right now and will update after it powers on. If it powers on.

UPDATE*

It worked. After 3 hours it booted up and is fine now. WOW

HP Touchpad dual boot webOS and CyanogenMod9 was left unplugged and battery died while running the Android OS. It would not power on or charge. The above steps worked to fix it.
I did nearly everything mentoined in this thread above that quoted post, but nothing happend.

Then i tryied this "low power mode" manual and it did not show the "the battery icon and plug symbol " but after putting it into charger now my home button flashes left-right continously first life sign since days.
Btw. don't know what kicked the battery while sitting on the Touchstone.

Btw. before, all my different the wallchargers (500mA-1A-2A) only showed a charging rate of 0,7W to 0,9W (measured with wallplug power meter) Even after days nothing happend.

Now in this low power mode and with original TP Wall charger it shows again 9W and now (after 3mins) the empty battery symbol just apeared on screen (flashing home button gone) and it shows a charging of 10.1W

Will update...
Booted up now to webos and charging @32% (TP charging also works - so don't know what happend there) - will see after some charging cycles if the battery took a hit.

Thx everyone...

Last edited by gizmo21; 03/15/2014 at 01:30 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2014, 01:12 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Btw. don't know what kicked the battery while sitting on the Touchstone.
That is something, that many Users happens. Furthermore information about this phenomen could be helpful
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2014, 01:29 PM   #97 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
That is something, that many Users happens. Furthermore information about this phenomen could be helpful
Well i would provide if i could:
Yes I have LunaCE
Yes I have ACL 0.6
Yes I have CM9 (with automatic shutdown at 25% battery)

But i usually do not leave CM running while charging or leaving it for more than a night - then i do reboot to webos.
I usually always deactivate WIFI and put screen brigness to minimum while not using.

Fishing in muddy waters:
As that weekend we had guests i did not use it the whole weekend and it could be that i rebooted and put it directly on the touchstone without waiting that it booted up webos. I had a window open so it could have gotten a bid colder, but it's not very cold atm in central europe.
I don't know...
Old 02/20/2014, 02:44 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes I have LunaCE
Yes I have ACL 0.6

But i usually do not leave CM running while charging or leaving it for more than a night - then i do reboot to webos.
I usually always deactivate WIFI and put screen brigness to minimum while not using.

Fishing in muddy waters:
As that weekend we had guests i did not use it the whole weekend and it could be that i rebooted and put it directly on the touchstone without waiting that it booted up webos. I had a window open so it could have gotten a bid colder, but it's not very cold atm in central europe.
I don't know...
Welcome back to the land of the living Touchpad!
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2014, 03:04 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes I have LunaCE
Yes I have ACL 0.6

Fishing in muddy waters:
I don't know...
To me and a friend happens without having ACL, my friend haven't use Android or LunaCE on TouchPad.
So I think we can exclude these factors.
I'm pretty sure it's a hardware thing
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2014, 05:03 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
To me and a friend happens without having ACL, my friend haven't use Android or LunaCE on TouchPad.
So I think we can exclude these factors.
I'm pretty sure it's a hardware thing
Is this what the A6 firmware flash is said to resolve?
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0