Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by akpro View Post
    I took my battery out and I wasn't able to get the voltage to measure on my voltmeter from the right poles. If I took the yellow wire and another, I was able to read 1.8v. Otherwise I didn't get anything on just the red and black.
    Same situation here, cells measure 2.5V and there is 2.5V on the test points but nothing on the positive (red) wires, there doesn't appear to be a surface mount fuse on the battery packs pcb any ideas?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    In hindsight I wish I would have measured where the battery connector is so that if this happens again I can just cut out a small opening through the back of the case, charge it, and cover the opening with a nice looking black metallic sticker.
    That's a great idea!

This dead-battery syndrome is probably going to happen to all of us sooner or later. I already had one close call. If all else fails the last resort is going to be hitting the battery terminals directly with a charger for a few minutes to get some charge on the battery. The TP wouldn't be the first device I've had to to that for.

Instead of removing the case and breaking the tabs that hold it closed, is it feasible to go in through the back? Could we just drill a couple of holes in the case if we knew exactly where to drill?

If this would work, maybe the next person who does this could take some photos right after the back is pulled off and do some careful measurements of where the battery terminals are located?
    One of the apps in the apps catalogue called "what's inside" might be of some use as it gives a virtual picture of the internal layout. I haven't used it but take a look see if it might help.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    There's a set of teardown photos here: Cracking open the HP TouchPad | TechRepublic

It doesn't look good - looks like there's some stuff between the inside of the back case and the battery connector. It might be possible to slip through beside the inductive charging pad. But it's hard to tell for sure since they went in from the top, and didn't remove everything attached to the back side of the case after they got the battery and the main circuit board out. It may be that you have to crack it open the first time to get at the connector and install wires leading to the back case surface.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scott.ranieri View Post

Go get a standard, low power, USB charger (like for your cellphone, or if need be use your computer's regular USB port). Plug the bugger in on your wimpy little USB cell phone charger and let it trickle charge at that low, 1000mAmp rate for a couple of hours and see what happens.
    Thanks for this - mine has been completely dead for 2 months (kid was playing games on the Android side and put it back on the Touchstone crooked) and I charged it for about 5 hours via computer USB, restarted it, and it accepted input from both the Touchstone and the charger. Saved me taking it apart (thanks to OP though - I would have tried your method next if this hadn't worked!).
    Before sleeping I left the TP on the touchstone to charge(on ICS boot) and the clock appeared so I knew that touchstone was charging as it should .

Then I turned off the power button and when I woke up the TP was completely dead.
    I tried every hard reset combination .....not working. I tried every charging method* for some minutes...not working.
    I know that my original charger is working because my HP Pre3 is charging perfectly on connect and I suppose that touchstone is working as TP is getting warm on the back .

My TP is running the cm-9-20120623-NIGHTLY-tenderloin version.

I presume that is a drained problem as resets are not working. Not even the plug mark is appeared...(could it be something else apart energy drain ? )

What should I do ? I am completely lost now....Do I have to follow kjhenrie's instructions or there is something else to try before ?

* car charger, original charger with cable, original charger with touchstone, pre3's charger even if it's not the right voltage.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanail View Post
    What should I do ? I am completely lost now....Do I have to follow kjhenrie's instructions or there is something else to try before ?
    I had a same problem. I revived it by using this method as described by team23w,

"If you can't pull a charge from the TP wall plug charger, and you know the cheap TP USB cable hasn't gone bad, here is the next thing to try: Go get a standard, low power, USB charger (like for your cellphone, or if need be use your computer's regular USB port). Plug the bugger in on your wimpy little USB cell phone charger and let it trickle charge at that low, 1000mAmp rate for a couple of hours and see what happens. I revived mine doing this, after the TP wall charger did nothing for 14 hours. It appears that if the voltage drops too low, the only way to charge it is using the standard USB voltage and not the higher voltage normally fed out by the TP wall plug or Touchstone. Definitely try this before you go through all the trouble of pulling the thing apart. "

In my case I used non-HP usb charger to charge the touchpad for 6 housrs or so Disconnected. Pressed various buttons. One that lighted the menu button light was: Pressed and hold down menu button while rapidly pushing the power button. Menu button started to flash, then the power plug symbol appeared. I placed the Touchpad onto touchstone. After 5 minutes, low battery symbol appeared on screen. After couple of hours of charging it rebooted. I made sure it rebooted to WebOS and not CM9. It's been working fine ever since. Only change I made is to make sure battery doesn't fall below 30% level while on CM9 or I charge via Webos.

Hope this helps.
    The problem is that I have left it to boot on CM9 by default and not on WebOs (by using the cyboot). I will try a couple of mini usb chargers I allready have (0.55 and 0.7 mA) and the original HP Pre3 charger that is exactly 1000mA.
    This is the way that revived my so dead TP :

I charged for at least 15 hours the TP with a handsfree mini USB charger at 5v, 0.7mA (instead for the original TP charger of 2mA).

Then I holded the power button and pushed rapidly 15-20 times the home button.
    I did the opposite holding the home button and pushed rapidly 15-20 times the power button.

I really do not know which one of these two combinations make the TP wake up.
    After two-three minutes after my attempts the plug icon appeared on the screen and I rapidly connected with the original TP charger via cable. Home button was glowing for first time after days.
    After half an hour moboot menu appeared and I choosed fast to boot on the webos. That's it !!
    It now is charging on webos nice and easy. To be sure that I am not going to live this situation again I choosed to boot on Webos by default instead of ICS through Cyboot.
    Till these wonderfull guys stabilize the ICS for the TP use cyboot to avoid such problems.
    cbosdell likes this.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    The key is to not give up, there are a couple other threads in which everyone has always gotten it to come back without taking it apart. Button mashing, patience, persistence and charging with various chargers all seem to be the key.

Pluggin mine in to a PC USB port for an hour or so is what did the trick for mine.
    Well charged my battery and can now get is into qualcomm download mode and the useless non novacom bootie mode but no lights, no action of any other kind so it would appear my bootloader is fecked, I suspect somone in the family has installed something that bricked it, oh well it'll do for parts for the other one when the kids inevitably drop it.
    Mine wouldn't charge on the HP charger, and I tried all button combinations to no avail. NO response. Dead.
    I took some of the advice I found here and let it sit on the USB cable on the computer for several hours, during which I saw at one point the alternating flashing on the home button light. When i disconnected it from the computer, it seemed dead still, but NOW when I tried the on button/home button combo, it flashed the low battery image in the middle of the screen. I connected it forthwith to the HP charger, upon which it resumed the alternating flashing home button light. A few minutes later, it booted up CM9 and said "Charging - 17%"
    w00t!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcftl View Post
    My Touchpad had an issue with the Touchstone where the Touchpad would just keep saying "Charging" over and over.

I would usually catch this and take the Touchpad off the Touchstone until it settled out. It had happened once before and I woke up to the dead battery icon and an overnight charge fixed it.
    My Touchpad does this occasionally, too. I've found that a reboot fixes it. So far, it's only ever done this when I first set it on the Touchstone. I've gotten out of the habit of leaving my Touchpad on the Touchstone when I'm either asleep or away from the device.

I had the apparently dead TP issue this morning- a little time with its wall charger fixed that. The odd thing was that when it came on, it reported its battery level at 95%.
    If you are going to open your touchpad, do yourself a favor, and use a heating pad to warm up and expand the back case first. I was able to open mine without breaking any connectors by this method.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    I revived mine by pointing a gun at it and screaming "DON'T MAKE ME DO THIS!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by gacoogan View Post
    If you are going to open your touchpad, do yourself a favor, and use a heating pad to warm up and expand the back case first. I was able to open mine without breaking any connectors by this method.
    Thanks for the heating pad suggestion. Can you post how long you kept it baking - I am presuming on high? Also, would be curious to know whether you then disassembled fully or just recharged the battery using the method of the original post here. (And if you did recharge, at what voltage/settings and length of time?). THANKS
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    My touchpad is in this precarious situation. I rebooted the touchpad from CM9 and the screen went black but still had the back light on. I held the power and home button and the touchpad turned off. I tried to turn it on, but the screen wouldnt do anything. I did all the combination of buttons to turn on the touchpad, but nothing happened. So, I left it charging over night. Tried the same thing again, but the screen doesnt turn on at all. My tablet is still under warranty, so I dont know if I should send it in or if theres something I can do. Please help!!!
    I have ordered a battery from Ebay but I am very much not wanting to take mine apart. Still reading the posts on the different forums looking for answers. Here are a couple of links for those like me who are still looking:

Battery dead, question mark, blinking home LEDs - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki - Page 3

Dead Screen or Nearly Dead Battery Issues - xda-developers

REVTV - HP Touchpad Charging Issues - Solution

I charged for at least 15 hours the TP with a handsfree mini USB charger at 5v, 0.7mA (instead for the original TP charger of 2mA).

I did the opposite holding the home button and pushed rapidly 15-20 times the power button.

After two-three minutes after my attempts the plug icon appeared on the screen and I rapidly connected with the original TP charger via cable. Home button was glowing for first time after days.
    After half an hour moboot menu appeared and I choosed fast to boot on the webos. That's it !!
    It now is charging on webos nice and easy. To be sure that I am not going to live this situation again I choosed to boot on Webos by default instead of ICS through Cyboot.
    Till these wonderfull guys stabilize the ICS for the TP use cyboot to avoid such problems.
    Such method really works. Thank you very much!!!
    cbosdell likes this.

I can third that this method works. My White TouchPad 4G has been dead for about a month if not a little longer and I had tried everything. I finally tried this today and and after about four minutes my home button started glowing. I connected it to one of my TouchPad chargers and a few minutes later the battery icon came on the display. I am so thrilled to finally get to use my TouchPad again and try out LunaCE for the first time!!!
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast