Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP Slate 2 Tablet PC - Laptop & Tablet PC Deals & Offers

Amazed they are backing Windows only in the mobile space. The Slate 2 runs 32-bit Windows... no thanks.
    It would be a great strategy if they wanted everyone to purchase a webOS tablet.

Oh, wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Amazed they are backing Windows only in the mobile space. The Slate 2 runs 32-bit Windows... no thanks.
    Guaranteed to be a flop. Just like so many Windows tablets before.

The first Tablet Windows that has any chance will be W8. And even there I think MS (and therefore HP) will have to struggle to make that a success.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Midway99 and Trlsmn like this.
    The price is about the same as the original Slate - maybe 50 bucks more.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This is not a product intended for consumers - so comparing it to the touchpad is comparing chalk to cheese. It's a product with a limited use case and a limited market.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is not a product intended for consumers - so comparing it to the touchpad is comparing chalk to cheese. It's a product with a limited use case and a limited market.
    Exactly. This thing will be perfect for me at work. However, it will make a terribly expensive connected picture frame and internet reader like my TouchPad is at home.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    If it was half the price, I'd buy one.
    Rnp and NoICon like this.
    The pricetag alone is gonna keep it from making any real $$$ but if this product doesn't have much upkeep nor much production costs then it wont matter.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Agreed. We use these in specific situations at my company. I couldn't imagine having one for my own personal use.
    Quote Originally Posted by pctechies View Post
    Agreed. We use these in specific situations at my company. I couldn't imagine having one for my own personal use.
    In the healthcare field a lot of clinics and hospitals use similar devices for patient charts, orders, etc... I'm sure they could market it to companies looking increase productivity or speed up data-input on the go. Like you, I don't see any good it would do me personally.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    I have read ZDNet's review of the Slate 2 and my personal conclusion is HP could have done much better:HP Slate 2
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    If you think the HP Slate 2 is a 'dumb idea' then it is just not for you. However, those of us that are avid TabletPC users do see the value in the device and rely on them on a daily basis.

Microsoft will be hitting the market heavy with Windows 8, but most specifically, Windows 8 on ARM (WOA). You will see all sorts of Touchpad like devices running WOA.

As for the price of the HP Slate 2, I do not see that as much a hinderence to swallow for what it can do over a $599 Touchpad or $799 iPad. It will do everything either will do plus put the rest of the usefulness of a full PC in your hands.

So, if it is too much device for you that is fine, just don't make it sound like there is no need for these devices because there is...

Just saying...
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    HP Slate 2 Tablet PC - Laptop & Tablet PC Deals & Offers

The Slate is a big POS. demo'd it for work and would never suggest it to anyone for anything other then a paper weight
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri86 View Post
    In the healthcare field a lot of clinics and hospitals use similar devices for patient charts, orders, etc... I'm sure they could market it to companies looking increase productivity or speed up data-input on the go. Like you, I don't see any good it would do me personally.
    As far as the original slate not true, Citrix sessions were sluggish at best. Screen real estate is a big thing with most EMR/EHR applications that only support nothing under 1024x768 and doing that on a 8.9" screen size.... not happening.
    MINKIN2 likes this.
    Better make it out of Metal......cause plastic is not their "thing".
    Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    It will do everything either will do plus put the rest of the usefulness of a full PC in your hands.
    Unfortunately, that will also include all of the security holes, bugs, and bloat that comes with Microsoft products.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Unfortunately, that will also include all of the security holes, bugs, and bloat that comes with Microsoft products.
    I don't see that as an issue at all. You may, but I don't. I have a full-blown PC in my hand that I use all day to update my databases while I walk the floor of my building, and I can create real-time floorplan diagrams for my lab and email them to my customers. I also use project management software to manage my project tasks; huge budget programs that need daily 'status reports' to management, give Powerpoint style presentations, and edit spreadsheets. I can load the full OpenOffice, FireFox, and FreeMind and complete mind maps, documents, edit PDF files, and transfer files via usb drive or SD card. Since I have an active digitizer I can mark-up pdf documents and digitally sign forms.

My point is that some of us have needs that a Touchpad will not fulfill. I joined this group back before the TP was released and watched it come out, read all the reviews, and decided it was not right for me but my love for figuring out new ways to be productive while mobile keeps me here. I like to read about solutions to mobility issues; it gives me other ideas.

In short, this is not about love for Windows, I just need more than Android, iOS, WebOS, or Linux can give right now. Once one of those allows me to do what I need to do I will likely be evaluating it in depth. Until then, Windows is what I need and this may not be the case for others.

In the mean time I did obtain a Pre2 about 8 months ago now and I do like it. I use FreeTether a lot now as a mobile hotspot for my Fujitsu Q550!
    Last edited by dceggert; 02/26/2012 at 03:39 PM.
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
    My problem with all tablets is they cost about the same, or a little more than a PC. Why bother then. The price for a tablet needs to get down to about $200 to get real.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    The only thing is as long as Apple can sell their iPads for $500, every other fool is going to mark theirs up to match them since they're all deluding themselves into thinking they're just as poplar; sure a few might even have better tech specs, but they still run Android (well that's dependent on your feeling for it I guess) and they all lack Apple's name recognition.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast