Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jessicatapley View Post
    Me too. :-)

Personally speaking, however, I have a Roku, and I found Hulu Plus to be an atrocious value for the monthly cost. Their "app" was rarely updated, cluttered, laggy, and the content was spotty.
    I'll get it for a month for use with HTPC, 360, etc when we need to catch up on something (such as the wife with grey's anatomy), catch up, then cancel. Service is vastly overpriced and only worth it since we have the most basic of basic cable.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  2.    #22  
    Hulu is a bit over priced and doesn't seem to have the same amount of shows to watch online that Netflix does.

However, it does have all the seasons to Stargate and X-Files.. Which filled up all of my free time for about 3 months this summer working a midnight shift at a hotel

But I mainly just need a tv service for my Touchpad (wouldn't care if it was hulu or netflix) just give me one of em
    just another way to justify charging.

just like data plans where you are paying for your bucket of data to your phone...
    but then they want to stick you with a separate charge if you wanna tether?!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Gotta love that a non windows tablet is a "mobile device", but a windows tablet or any OS laptop is not a "mobile device" in terms of licensing.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    just another way to justify charging.

just like data plans where you are paying for your bucket of data to your phone...
    but then they want to stick you with a separate charge if you wanna tether?!
    Oh I agree, it's just an interesting licensing agreement.

I know it's similar (but different) to the old TV shows getting put on DVD, and having to have music cleared since it was never intended for such use.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    I think playstation 3 has a hulu plus app(but not the free hulu service). I would be happy if hulu at least gave webOs users ability to access hulu plus.
    Why would Hulu spend resources on the discontinued Touchpad? WebOS has been terrible for updates since launch and there is no real growth for the hardware platform at this point.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Why would Hulu spend resources on the discontinued Touchpad? WebOS has been terrible for updates since launch and there is no real growth for the hardware platform at this point.
    I think if you read the email I received, you would see that there have been "MANY" requests to get the hulu app on the touchpad...

You are also not realizing that if there becomes a hulu app for the touchpad - then future webOS devices will also have the hulu app

WebOS isn't dead yet you know
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    I think if you read the email I received, you would see that there have been "MANY" requests to get the hulu app on the touchpad...

You are also not realizing that if there becomes a hulu app for the touchpad - then future webOS devices will also have the hulu app

WebOS isn't dead yet you know
    If Hulu made an app for the Touchpad it has no bearing on anything in the future of WebOS. See WebOS 1.4.5 as a reference of a quick death.

Why would 3.0 be any different?
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    3 updates in 7 months? Not horrible for an OS that was killed in August.

This also doesn't count updates that you and many others probably don't count, like the Open Sourcing of Enyo. Just that "update" has kept a lot of developers around webOS, while helping them earn more money.
    The problem is, tho, that any software platform needs hardware. No update including open-sourcing Enyo or even webOS itself changes that. If webOS stays stuck on the 1-3 million phones and tablets currently running it (and that number dwindles daily as people upgrade), that's not much incentive for Hulu Plus.

A platform with negative user adoption (i.e. numbers dwindling, not growing) is dying and/or dead in the eyes of content providers.

We need hardware and we need sales pronto, or it's hobbyist OS 4 life.... :-(
    I wasn't commenting on hulu plus, as I said above I don't use it so I don't care... if I really wanted to use it, I would run it through splashtop and use free hulu.

My comment was in response to
    WebOS has been terrible for updates since launch
  11.    #31  
    The problem is, tho, that any software platform needs hardware. No update including open-sourcing Enyo or even webOS itself changes that. If webOS stays stuck on the 1-3 million phones and tablets currently running it (and that number dwindles daily as people upgrade), that's not much incentive for Hulu Plus.
    Now... sorta of the reason I threw this email up on these forums was because of the positive reaction I received from Hulu about how they would 'LOVE" to get it on WebOS devices.

We can argue all day whether the incentive is there for Meggy to do the work needed to get Hulu plus on WebOS devices.. But I think that email makes a pretty clear statement that Hulu would like to be on WebOS.

That being said, i'm still awaiting Meggy's response
    I believe the only thing the Hulu response shows is that they are polite.
    UncleVanya and dignitary like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    Shouldn't the move to open source make the streaming rights moot?
    No. The content providers determine who is permitted to show their content. Hulu has agreements with them for specific platforms - some of this based on Digital Rights Management (DRM) options available to these platforms.

HP wouldn't be spending $ for this - Hulu wouldn't either. The content providers might permit it if there was a robust DRM in place on webOS... there isn't from what I understand.
    Meh, I'm not trying to troll but I recently got a Hulu plus account and I'm quite disappointed in the content. I did like how the new episodes are updated quite a bit. I would actually be more excited if Netflix landed the deal
    I'm actually glad I held out from Hulu plus and Amazon Prime to keep netflix now. All I have to do is boot to CM7 and load the app. Its the only reason I have CM7 installed. No more drama, no more hate emails. Watch how fast I reformat my device whenever Netflix comes to webOS.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Link287 View Post
    Meh, I'm not trying to troll but I recently got a Hulu plus account and I'm quite disappointed in the content. I did like how the new episodes are updated quite a bit. I would actually be more excited if Netflix landed the deal
    I use both services and have found a lot of great shows available on Hulu that aren't available on netflix and vise versa. Hulu having NEW episodes is a huGGEE plus!

.. Both have their issues though.. For instance, last month I was watching Jericho & Jeremiah.. Two great shows (both only had 2 seasons of work)

Jericho - has to be done on Netflix while Jeremiah is a Hulu show.

Switching between the two can get kinda annoying as well.. but I always check hulu first.. You can adjust the video quality your self etc..
    I had a Hulu Plus account but cancelled it. When I cancelled, my comment was that it did not have support for my device, an HP Touchpad web browser.

I don't think it's a huge hurdle for them to allow the WebOS browser in their configuration. I'm not a genius when it comes to web design or servers, etc... but I don't think it'd be a huge deal for them to add a device to allow when they do a device check.

My guess is that if enough people cancelled with this same reason, they would reconsider. Worst thing is that they don't need to develop an app for it to work, they just need to enable the TP.
    HP is not making any more Touchpads. The "bigger" companies aren't going to put any effort into a discontinued device.

The Touchpad is not a growth business as there is no more new product.
    Last edited by rnld; 03/15/2012 at 02:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    I'm actually glad I held out from Hulu plus and Amazon Prime to keep netflix now. All I have to do is boot to CM7 and load the app. Its the only reason I have CM7 installed. No more drama, no more hate emails. Watch how fast I reformat my device whenever Netflix comes to webOS.
    Netflix is the only app I have on my CM9 install that I don't have an equivalent on the webOS side. Runs very well on the new Alpha 2.

Hulu doesn't need to give us a full app. I don't care about that. More than that, I want a fast as **** browser for webOS that has user agent controls so we can easily work around dumb limitations like this. That would be more valuable to me than a Hulu app.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    I think lawyers should be engaged in Hulu an Netflix mess. If device is capable to run their content without need for an proprietary app, people with paid subscriptions should have right to access that content without being blackmailed.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast