Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    one of the best features of the original palm was the wave launcher. Why would they feel the need to remove it from the touchpad 3.0?
    I could answer that, but that would involve saying some unpleasant things about HP.
    Game over!
    ariker01, trowany and Sanjay like this.
    no gesture area.
  4. pml
    I doubt that you need the gesture area for the wave launcher, as showing the cards overview and launching the apps menu by wiping up from the bottom of the screen works nicely without it...
    I think webOS 3.0 as a whole was planned without the gesture area, or gestures of any sort. The swipe-up to enter card view was a last-minute addition, and a badly-implimented one at that (in my opinion).

The wave launcher and gestures in general are completely possible on the touchpad, all that's required is the right software and implementation. I expect that if HP doesn't bring it back with Open webOS 1.0, the open-source community will.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    mauro1 likes this.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I thought it was simply that the OS had to fix the hardware which was available, so it was removed for that reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I thought it was simply that the OS had to fix the hardware which was available, so it was removed for that reason.
    'fix' the hardware? How do you mean?
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    typo - "fit".
    Oh I see, yeah that's pretty much it. There are at least two other solutions to that particular problem though- an onscreen gesture area, or multi-finger swipes. And since the code already existed on 2.x, it wouldn't have been that much effort to adapt it.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I really dislike multi finger on screen gestures, whenever I'm playing some sort of game on an iPad I always end up back at the home screen...

But TBH, I have no idea why HP skimped out on a gesture area, it makes switching apps and going back to much easier, even the BB Playbook gets gestures.
    when i saw the title i was like, "oh i have to read this. What insane person is trying to argue why there is no google wave?"
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    ShiftyAxel and carguy303 like this.
    As much as I loved this feature but it was the one I used the least and I bet they saw that way too. When adding new features into a partition with a set space, somethings your gotta take out stuff to make room for the new as we saw with Classic. With webOS going open-source, there's bound to be a maker that will bring this back as a differing feature from other webOS devices.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I don't think it took up any significant space, especially in comparison to classic. The code + wave image file probably took up less than 1Mb. Classic needed both an app and the original Palm OS ROM, which weigh in at 11.9Mb total.
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 02/06/2012 at 11:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    As much as I loved this feature but it was the one I used the least and I bet they saw that way too. When adding new features into a partition with a set space, somethings your gotta take out stuff to make room for the new as we saw with Classic. With webOS going open-source, there's bound to be a maker that will bring this back as a differing feature from other webOS devices.
    I never use the wave either. Flick to get into card view, then either launcher bar or just type (mostly just type).

As others have said, the TouchPad flick to card view was last minute, so no gesture area planned, no wave programmed into webOS 3.x. With the implementation of the flick to card view, technically you could implement a wave launcher, but it would be spotty at best since you are already dealing with a much smaller area to since that upward gesture before you are on the screen itself.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I never use the wave either. Flick to get into card view, then either launcher bar or just type (mostly just type).

As others have said, the TouchPad flick to card view was last minute, so no gesture area planned, no wave programmed into webOS 3.x. With the implementation of the flick to card view, technically you could implement a wave launcher, but it would be spotty at best since you are already dealing with a much smaller area to since that upward gesture before you are on the screen itself.
    Spotty and conflict with the design of the touchpad. Flick for card view or quick launch? Could intro the multi-touch flick but that's for discussion of next-gen device.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Oh and I would much rather have card view... I am so used to it from 2+ years of webOS phones.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    It may be spotty in the current implementation, but some clever design could work around that. I have a great big list of stuff I want to try out when Open webOS comes, and this is one of them.
    I, for one, would LOVE to see the return of the wave launcher. The launcher ribbon is already present on the home screen, it seems like there would not have to be any conflicts to implement either an onscreen gesture area (another differentiating feature that I appreciate tremendously--I continuously find myself swiping back on my TP, before I remember that I have to find the "back" button somewhere on-screen) or a more constrained gesture that pulls up the wave launcher only.

I think this would be a winner--still creating a differentiated user experience--and I am looking forward to some enterprising homebrewer who can pull it off. (hope, hope)
    I'd like to see the return of the wave launcher as well. There are some patches that incorporate swiping from the sides, extra browser buttons etc, that I don't even really use. Might be a good spot to incorporate something like that, without affecting the card-view swipe.

Hey....you could have TWO (L+R) wave launchers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'd like to see the return of the wave launcher as well. There are some patches that incorporate swiping from the sides, extra browser buttons etc, that I don't even really use. Might be a good spot to incorporate something like that, without affecting the card-view swipe.

Hey....you could have TWO (L+R) wave launchers!
    Yo if we are talking left and right, I want it to switch between cards!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast