1.    #1  
    This morning I received my new 32gb WiFi HP TouchPad in the mail. I opened up the contents and than began to charge the device; following the start-up guide. When I plugged in my microUSB charger the center button began flashing (alternating left and right). I then left for class for a couple hours a returned (4+ hours had elapsed). I returned home to find my HP TouchPad with a blank screen and the center button button still flashing as before.

I have attempted simply holding the power button (for over a minute), holding power+center (for over a minute, causes the center button to temporarily stop flashing then resume), holding power+repeatedly selecting center, power+volume-up (usb mode), but none of these actions yielded a different result. No low battery indicator, no HP logo, just the same flashing center button. I'm hoping that the device simply doesn't have enough of a charge yet, but with every passing hour I am beginning to think more and more that this is not the issue at large.

Has anyone experienced similar symtoms as myself, and if so, what steps did you take to get your device to boot up the first time? Also just for clarification, should I be attempting the hard-reset with the power still connected? (Which is what I have been attempting)

This troubleshooting process seems quite useless and it's starting to make me anxious. A solution from the community would be much appreciated before I have to go visit my shrink for counseling.

All humor aside, thank you in advance for your feedback.
    -Devin
    Last edited by devingn; 02/02/2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Yes my touchpad can do this if I let the battery completely die. Sometimes when I plug the USB charger in it tells me to plug it in.

Most of the time its a simple fix for me by putting it on the touchstone charger till at least it boots up.

It should take no more than 30mins for the device to wake if the battery is dead.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Two things I might try:

1. Make sure that the charger is engaged correctly - On the barrel part of the charger (the part that plugs into the outlet), there is a piece that can be twisted. Twist that and make sure that it is on correctly. If it's not in correctly, you should be able to pull off the prongs.

2. Might be time to visit the doctor.
    A completely dead battery can take many hours to show up. Check the charger is together properly as joen said (some came somewhat loose, I hear), plug it in, and check it tomorrow.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Yes my touchpad can do this if I let the battery completely die. Sometimes when I plug the USB charger in it tells me to plug it in.

Most of the time its a simple fix for me by putting it on the touchstone charger till at least it boots up.

It should take no more than 30mins for the device to wake if the battery is dead.
    As of this point in time, I have to no way of identifying whether or not that battery is truly discharged, as nothing has yet to appear on the display.

I also think that I should not that I am using the stock adapter and microUSB cable (provided by HP), not the TouchStone device.

Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    Two things I might try:

1. Make sure that the charger is engaged correctly - On the barrel part of the charger (the part that plugs into the outlet), there is a piece that can be twisted. Twist that and make sure that it is on correctly. If it's not in correctly, you should be able to pull off the prongs.

2. Might be time to visit the doctor.
    I have previously performed this step multiple times, as it seems to be causing many tablets not to power up. Even if this was the case, wouldn't that mean that the center button shouldn't be illuminated (which it is). Also, I can verify that the cable is getting power because my HTC phone charges fine.

Do you think there's any chance I could get HP to cover the co-pay?
    Thanks for the speedy responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by devingn View Post
    Do you think there's any chance I could get HP to cover the co-pay? Thanks for the speedy responses.
    This is covered by warranty so there would be no costs to get it repaired. The fact you are getting the flashing button at the bottom means it is receiving enough output from the charger to charge this but it wont wake, well yet. Can you put the device into recovery mode by any chance?
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    A completely dead battery can take many hours to show up. Check the charger is together properly as joen said (some came somewhat loose, I hear), plug it in, and check it tomorrow.
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will try this and report back tomorrow with my results!

Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    This is covered by warranty so there would be no costs to get it repaired. The fact you are getting the flashing button at the bottom means it is receiving enough output from the charger to charge this but it wont wake, well yet. Can you put the device into recovery mode by any chance?
    I have tried this but I attempted this once again just to make sure, however nothing came of it. For the sake of verification, these are the steps I took:
    1. Performed a hard-reset (Power + Center)
    2. While holding power, I selected center ten times.
    3. Selected Power + Volume-Up
    4. Connected USB to Windows 7 (64 bit)
    -Nothing ever appeared on the device display and my PC showed no indication of new hardware being connected

Also I was thinking that maybe the LCD is defective, which would explain the lack of output. Is this a possibility? Today is a sad day.
  8.    #8  
    I have found a solution! (A quite ghetto one at that)

The microUSB cable for my HTC phone is slightly damaged, it easily becomes disconnected and can be jiggled around while connected to the handset. Using this cable, along with the AC adapter provided by HP, I connected the microUSB end to the TouchPad. Using the end of a pair of tweezers, I then propped up the connector so that it would sit flush with the device. About five minutes later, the back-light then turned on and displayed the low battery indicator.

I have attached a photograph in case anyone else experiences this issue in the future. CM9 here I come!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It would seem that you have a defective HP Micro USB Cable (or TPad Socket). There have been reports of faulty cables here before.

I like the Nokia Ca-101 Cable which is of better build quality than the HP one
    Genuine Nokia CA 101 Micro USB Data Cable | eBay
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Or just that you finally waited long enough for the completely dead battery to charge enough to wake the unit up. Whether the USB cable is defective or not is unproven.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    It would seem that you have a defective HP Micro USB Cable (or TPad Socket). There have been reports of faulty cables here before.

I like the Nokia Ca-101 Cable which is of better build quality than the HP one
    Genuine Nokia CA 101 Micro USB Data Cable | eBay
    Thank you for the suggestion. I plan on purchasing this tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Or just that you finally waited long enough for the completely dead battery to charge enough to wake the unit up. Whether the USB cable is defective or not is unproven.
    I really doubt it. I left the device charging for over six hours today. By the time I got past the low battery indicator, I had 3% of a charge remaining. That or I had an extremely defective battery.

Also, I just tested the HP provided cable and it does not work! Now I need to find where I put those tweezers...
    it doesn't work, yet it was able to get the light running? sounds suspect. Could be the case, though. Or possibly your other cable shorted the pins that enable the higher current draw, causing it to be able to charge faster. Either way, glad you got it. And you might want to play with webOS for a while before you go and soak up the Android user-hostile interface.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Instead of buying a new cable, why dont you contact HP to have yours replaced under warranty. They will overnight or 2 day ship you a new cable with about 5 to 15 minutes worth of time in the HP chat in the help program on the device.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    it doesn't work, yet it was able to get the light running? sounds suspect. Could be the case, though. Or possibly your other cable shorted the pins that enable the higher current draw, causing it to be able to charge faster. Either way, glad you got it. And you might want to play with webOS for a while before you go and soak up the Android user-hostile interface.
    I'm just going to stop asking questions. My device is running and I'm satisfied! This is certainly a good idea though. This is actually my first time using WebOS, and I say this as an Android fan boy, that I really enjoy using the interface. I find it to be very natural and the controls are quite intuitive, this was far more pleasant than my experience of moving from iOS to Froyo (way back when).

With that said, the deciding factor for me getting the TP was that there is steadily growing community for CM9 on the device. I can't wait for 100% integration!