webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   HP TouchPad (http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/)
-   -   TP needs daily re-boot (http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/311220-tp-needs-daily-re-boot.html)

Dee McKillop 02/01/2012 03:21 AM

TP needs daily re-boot

Hi folks, it's been a while but....is there anyone who can offer advice? My partner's TP has recently needed to be re-booted every day. It affects her access to both Calendar and Kindle. Although the re-boot does work, it's both annoying and worrying. Any suggestions?

tholap 02/01/2012 04:26 AM

What do you mean with "needs" reboot?

I don't have to reboot - but I don't have access to the Kindle app and hardly ever use the calendar.

Nobody can help you if you don't explain what the actual problem is that gets fixed by rebooting.

andyc247 02/01/2012 05:31 AM

I find that after using the Kindle app that the next time I want to use it the app just hangs on its splash screen. A reboot always fixes this but, I agree, it is very annoying. Does anyone know why this happens and is there a way of fixing it without resorting to a reboot ?

Dee McKillop 02/01/2012 05:36 AM

[QUOTE=tholap;3292257]What do you mean with "needs" reboot?

I don't have to reboot - but I don't have access to the Kindle app and hardly ever use the calendar.

Nobody can help you if you don't explain what the actual problem is that gets fixed by rebooting.[/QUOTE]
Apologies if I was not clear. If my partner tries to update her calendar or access her Kindle app, access is NOT possible until she re-boots the TP.

andyc247 02/01/2012 05:38 AM

I forgot to mention that after using the Kindle app it also seems to affect other apps afterwards. So, for example, when I next start Preware it hangs trying to read Preware details. Again the reboot fixes this too.

suprolla 02/01/2012 05:40 AM

i just opened my Kindle app, browsed though a book, then closed and swiped away. I then reopened the app and it worked fine. I am using 3.0.5 and have not opened the app since the update. My TP is fairly standard with minimal patches and no uberkernel.

Dee McKillop 02/01/2012 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=suprolla;3292272]i just opened my Kindle app, browsed though a book, then closed and swiped away. I then reopened the app and it worked fine. I am using 3.0.5 and have not opened the app since the update. My TP is fairly standard with minimal patches and no uberkernel.[/QUOTE]
as with suprolla (thanks), my partner's TP is a standard build, no patches etc.

noseph 02/01/2012 06:31 AM

[QUOTE=Dee McKillop;3292245]Hi folks, it's been a while but....is there anyone who can offer advice? My partner's TP has recently needed to be re-booted every day. It affects her access to both Calendar and Kindle. Although the re-boot does work, it's both annoying and worrying. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

If you want to live with the re-boots, there is [I]Reboot Scheduler[/I] in Preware that will let you schedule a reboot. It really sounds like you may need to visit the Doctor though.

gaitch32 02/01/2012 06:51 AM

Try downloading wTerm. It's an app were you can type in linux commands. Type in the word "top", no quotes, after you get the problem. It will give you a list of running processes and you might be able to see if there is one that is hogging the processor which might mean it is hanging up and causing problems.

netwrkr9 02/01/2012 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=suprolla;3292272]i just opened my Kindle app, browsed though a book, then closed and swiped away. I then reopened the app and it worked fine. I am using 3.0.5 and have not opened the app since the update. My TP is fairly standard with minimal patches and no uberkernel.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I use my Kindle app frequently, opening and closing without having to reboot. My TouchPad is running the Uberkernel and many patches.

OldSkoolVWLover 02/01/2012 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=Dee McKillop;3292277]as with suprolla (thanks), my partner's TP is a standard build, no patches etc.[/QUOTE]

The kindle app seems to have issues for some folks, I don't use it so I cannot help with that.

Information that was still left out to help troubleshoot. What OS version are you running? I ask mainly because lots of people have been needlessly avoiding updates.

If you are on 3.0.5, and the issue is adding events to the calendar... the big question left out there is.... what is the calendar syncing with, how many synergy accounts are being used, please include all... gmail, palm profile, facebook, exchange, etc. Also please include what account the default events are being saved to. Also include any "server side" calendars being used, for example in google calendars you can enable various automatic calendars (weather, holidays, sports schedules, religious events, etc).

For example: I have 2 gmail accounts, facebook, and a palm profile. Default events save to my main gmail, that account also syncs US Holidays, and weather forecast.

I have no problem adding events from phone or TP and they sync correctly. I added an event with phone at around 12:30 yesterday and the reminder went off 5 minutes to 5:00 last night right after the phone went off.

addiarmadar 02/01/2012 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=Dee McKillop;3292269]Apologies if I was not clear. If my partner tries to update her calendar or access her Kindle app, access is NOT possible until she re-boots the TP.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the device is having issues accessing the data on the device. Remove the kindle account from the device, remove all synergy accounts from the device, restart the device, and put them back in.

Afterwards give it a whirl for a few days.

OldSkoolVWLover 02/02/2012 11:28 AM

I wouldn't blame webOS or synergy on this one... something else is wrong. Been using webOS and synergy for 2 1/2 years now over 10 webOS devices, including multiple devices syncing the same cloud accounts at the same time.

GuyFromNam 02/02/2012 11:45 AM

If I don't reboot once a day, I can't access my calendar either.
And reading is just next to impossible.

Sylo 02/02/2012 02:35 PM

I rarely reboot, and I haven't had this problem. Same with my girlfriends touchpad. Neither touchpads have any patches installed.

chargemaster1953 04/12/2012 07:00 AM

Rebooting

I have a similar problem on my UK touchpad. I have the latest version but when I put down the touchpad after searching the web or using an app, and then try to use it again after resting for a short period of time, it will not load any app or display the HP catalog untill I reboot. This happens several times a day and is annoying.

Is there any solution to this problem

amgaither 04/25/2012 08:15 AM

My TP loses its accounts just after midnight every day. It requires a reboot to restore the accounts. This happens regardless of whether the TP has been used the day before.

I have 5 synergy accounts, plus the WebOS account. They are box.net; Dropbox; email account compuserve.com; and 2 calendar accounts at gmail. I am running OS 3.0.5, UberKernel, and Govnah On DemandTcl 1512. Homebrew apps include: Add Launcher Tabs, Homebrew JS Service Framework, and FileMgr. I tried App Tuckerbox, but unregistered it later.

Anybody with ideas? Thanks in advance.

howdydooit 08/27/2012 11:08 AM

Touchpad requires daily reboot...

all of a sudden, I have this same problem. I went on vacation, and when I logged into.a new router, everything was good. The next morning I couldn't see my mail or calendar. Then, when trying to use the browser I got an error message that I had no connectivity - as my browser page was loading! Although "type anywhere" did not bring up search engines, and all of my bookmarks were gone.

After rebooting all was back to normal. The next morning, I needed to reboot again.

Subsequent visits to coffee shops caused the exact same process. Even when logged in and everything is working, I have the same issue when changing locations.

I also have to reboot daily when on my home network, regardless of whether I have been on other networks or not. Basically, I see no changes to my calendar or mail (if already launched from a previous day) until I reboot. If I launch mail, calendar, or the browser fresh, then I have an empty calendar, no mail, and no bookmarks, yet I do have connectivity 9even though I get the warning message)

just for the record I have:
1) 2 x pop 3 mail accounts
2) 1 x google mail account
3) 1 exchange mail and calendar account
4) a google calendar which I don't use, so can't tell if its missing anything

This is really becoming a pain, I am wondering if there is anything going on with my profile? Soon after the touchpad went wacky my pre2 decided arbitrarily to erase itself. I had to reset it, and I changed my password on both my pre and my touchpad' but of course this didn't happen until the touchpad problem started.

incidentally - have these exact accounts on my pre with no issues.

Daughain 08/28/2012 09:29 AM

I've noticed random memory leaks on mine, but can't afford to try and trace them down.

[color=#999999]-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities[/color]

theronco 08/31/2012 01:32 PM

Just recently had this problem with my touch pad. Must reboot daily to be able to use facebook, e-mail, map, HP app store, etc, and anything that has a synergy account. No response, jut the spinning wheel, but I am still commected to the Netowrk. Latest OS version installed, no homebrew, no preware, no new applications loaded for months, and problem began occuring last week.

When I check my accounts, It doesn show any. After the reboot, they appear and all work fine until the next day.