webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > TP needs daily re-boot
TP needs daily re-boot
Like Tree12Likes

Old 01/08/2013, 07:05 AM   #161 (permalink)

Something you can try:
Remove the activity
- Open up a shell, and type
Code:
luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.db palm://com.palm.activitymanager/cancel '{"activityName":"mojodbpurge"}'
You will need to call the database purge command periodically so the DB partition does not fill up.
Code:
luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.activitymanager palm://com.palm.db/internal/scheduledPurge '{"$activity": {"activityId":-1}}'
Set a new interval (so you don't have to reboot as often)
- Open up a shell and type:
Code:
luna-send -n 1 -f -a com.palm.db palm://com.palm.activitymanager/create '{
"activity": {
  "name":"mojodbpurge",
  "description":"Scheduled mojodb purge activity",
  "type": {
      "background":true,
      "bus":"private",
      "persist":true,
      "power":true
    },
  "schedule": {
      "interval":"1d",
      "local":true
    },
  "callback": {
      "method":"palm://com.palm.db/internal/scheduledPurge"
    }
  },
"replace":true,
"start":true
}'
Replace the "1d" in interval with something longer, something like "4d" or however often you're willing to reboot your TP.
- Reboot

Note if you removed the activity this is the same command to restore the activity.

(Peek original activity definition: https://github.com/openwebos/db8/blo....db.purge.json)

The above has not been thoroughly tested, but they seem to carry out their designated actions.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by GMMan; 01/08/2013 at 08:00 AM.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 07:46 AM   #162 (permalink)

I seem to get this on my 64GB white beast too. Prewared and patched until it's unrecognizable and dual booting CM10 for good measure with Ubuntu gathering a little dust! :-)

This affects me on my way home reading (pReader) on the train. If I don't restart before I leave the office it lasts for around 45 mins, becomes sluggish, laggy and then just freezes. I have to hold the power and repeatedly press the 'home' button to get it to restart. It doesn't seem to matter when I leave the office, if it goes, it goes pretty much the same time lapse after leaving the office.

The TP is fine in the morning and is on the touchstone all night (with wi-fi on) and all day at work too!

I'll give GMMan's 'adjustment' a go tonight and report back on it in a couple of days (if it works). Because of the different times though, I don't know if this will help my situation.
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 01:43 AM   #163 (permalink)

Bump. Yes, I know it's only been a day, but I'd like to hear reports of whether or not the above commands actually run. Just report here if you've run the commands or not. I'll have the instructions moved out to a separate thread if they are confirmed to work.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 01/09/2013, 06:44 AM   #164 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Checked Activity Manager, and there's an entry that seems to fit the bill. An activity for com.palm.db named mojodbpurge has an interval of 1d, and I'm sure immediately after purging old entries the DB wants to compact, then become unresponsive during the compact.

If you have Impostah you may want to check the time listed when the activity last finished and see if it matches the time your DB stops working.
Impostah->Activities->Service Persistent/db : mojodbpurge->Show->schedule->lastFinished
There is no "last finished" under schedule. I have interval 1d and local true.
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 07:51 AM   #165 (permalink)

GMMan, failed at the first hurdle I'm afraid!

Using Xserver I get after the first line of code:

{"errorCode":2,"errorText":"Activity name/creator pair not found","returnValue":false}

I can't play now as I'm at work but I have checked spaces etc to make sure I copied yours correctly.
Old 01/09/2013, 10:20 AM   #166 (permalink)

Quote:
Bump. Yes, I know it's only been a day, but I'd like to hear reports of whether or not the above commands actually run. Just report here if you've run the commands or not. I'll have the instructions moved out to a separate thread if they are confirmed to work.
I tried twice, but I had a typo in both attempts. I will try again later, after work. In Impostah, there is no information about last run and I am thinking maybe because it never completed.
va20171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 10:37 AM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
GMMan, failed at the first hurdle I'm afraid!

Using Xserver I get after the first line of code:

{"errorCode":2,"errorText":"Activity name/creator pair not found","returnValue":false}

I can't play now as I'm at work but I have checked spaces etc to make sure I copied yours correctly.
If you can, try copy and pasting it from a computer using Novaterm. Alternatively, look up the activity in Impostah, and type this:
Code:
luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.db palm://com.palm.activitymanager/cancel '{"activityId":your_id_here}'
where "your_id_here" is the activityId you obtained from Impostah.
Old 01/09/2013, 02:25 PM   #168 (permalink)

I tried to set the interval for 3d. Apparently command was accepted, but after reboot I still see 1d as interval. Was I supposed to remove the activity before changing it?
Old 01/09/2013, 02:31 PM   #169 (permalink)

Hmm, it could be possible for DB8 to automatically reinstate the original activity on reboot. I'll take a look at it again.
Old 01/10/2013, 07:15 AM   #170 (permalink)

Sorry, same error message using novaterm session:

root@MikesTouchpad:/# luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.db palm://com.palm.activitymanager/cancel '{"activityName":"mojodbpurge"}'
root@MikesTouchpad:/#

This was from a copy/paste from here. :-(

Last edited by MikeN68; 01/10/2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old 01/10/2013, 07:44 AM   #171 (permalink)

OK, using the Impostah ID I managed to get this to run.

The entry disappeared from Impostah after doing this so I restarted to see if it was recreated and it was.However, the Interval period is still showing as 1d, not 4d.
Old 01/10/2013, 09:38 AM   #172 (permalink)

The system could be automatically reinstating activities on reboot. The file responsible for this activity is in /etc/palm/activities/com.palm.db/com.palm.db.purge.json. Using Impostah with Master Mode enabled, go to that path, and either edit or move it elsewhere, so the system will either not find and can't put it back in, or it will use your new settings. Do the commands in the earlier post, then reboot.
Old 01/11/2013, 04:29 AM   #173 (permalink)

Does this happen the same time for everyone?
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 03:43 PM   #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
nope various times of the day for me, but usually linked to when I take it off charge.
Thanked By: Loiter
Old 01/11/2013, 11:11 PM   #175 (permalink)

Quote:
mine does it every morning at 1:48 am while charging.
shanpalm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 11:32 PM   #176 (permalink)

Quote:
In my case, 1:05 am EST. That's when the mojodb purge kicks in, consuming CPU.
Old 01/12/2013, 02:40 AM   #177 (permalink)

Hi,
this is interesting:
My Pre3 had no data loss (needed no reboot) since my last post before Christmas.
I did travel, went through several roaming countries, to Slovakia (home country for the used SIM card),
now I am back to Germany since 2.1.2013, no data loss, no reboots needed!
Actually the divice is in roaming mode here, there is Slovak SIM card in it (as was before/all last year).

I did nothing since my last db restore attempt.

Hope it lasts.

Strange

I'll leave message when it occurs again.
babeliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 07:05 AM   #178 (permalink)

Quote:
The system could be automatically reinstating activities on reboot. The file responsible for this activity is in /etc/palm/activities/com.palm.db/com.palm.db.purge.json. Using Impostah with Master Mode enabled, go to that path, and either edit or move it elsewhere, so the system will either not find and can't put it back in, or it will use your new settings. Do the commands in the earlier post, then reboot.
This leads me to ask, "Why not simply edit the com.palm.db.purge.json file, changing 24h to 72h (or something else), and then reboot the system?" Should that take care of it, or does one still have to run the commands that you specified above?
bowportes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 09:48 AM   #179 (permalink)

I'm not sure how the activity is actually put in. I'm assuming it uses configurator, and the last time I used configurator it didn't change anything unless you force a rescan.
Old 01/15/2013, 02:59 PM   #180 (permalink)

Haven't needed a restart for eight days now!?

-------

After restarting my tp every morning for six months, I monitored the time I could use the tp before needing a restart. For three days, it was 10 minutes to 2 hours.

On Monday of last week, I decide my 'user data free' tp didn't really need a backup. When I turned it off, I got nasty messages that all data would be deleted, and then the 'whirling death screen' started. I dumped the screen, and thought I reenabled backup.

After not needing a restart for three days, I noticed that backup was disabled. I turned backup back on, and expected to have to do restarts again. Nope - backup is on and running, and I still haven't needed a restart either!

I'll see how long it lasts!?
tstraetker is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0