webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > TP needs daily re-boot
TP needs daily re-boot
Like Tree12Likes

Old 12/19/2012, 10:51 PM   #121 (permalink)

I've managed to get a replicated TouchPad going on the emulator. It seems that it can connect to Palm Profile properly, and will let me into the App Catalog. I'm just missing tokens, and I'll need to recompile the nduid module to provide the right nduid to Key Manager and such.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 04:31 AM   #122 (permalink)

Hi all,

Yes my TP needs re-booting every day.

I have had the TP since October 2011 and it has been fine.
Then just over a month ago, I downloaded the latest version of the App catalog (ending 34 instead of 33 I think).
From then on I needed to re-boot every day.

Could this help you technical people out there as this was definitely a 'cause and effect' event.

I hope this can help.

Jim (jambutti)
jambutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 05:13 AM   #123 (permalink)

Forgot to add that my wife also has a TP bought at the same time.
She did not update the App catalog and has had no problems.

Jim (jambutti)
jambutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 08:17 AM   #124 (permalink)

ImageUploadedByWebOS Nation1356013019.896023.jpg
Does this happen to anyone else? When I loose the accounts, etc. and I open up preware, I get this error.
knightjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 11:08 AM   #125 (permalink)

The problem has reproduced itself on the emulated TouchPad. I think I can get a good look at it now.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Liked by va20171 likes this.
Old 12/20/2012, 03:03 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightjorb View Post
Attachment 66483
Does this happen to anyone else? When I loose the accounts, etc. and I open up preware, I get this error.
I've never tried to go into preware, I've just restarted every morning. If I remember I'll try tomorrow.
shanpalm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 04:01 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Attachment 66483
I got that this morning with your emulated TouchPad.

Not very many findings so far. The DB service appears to be frozen or otherwise nonresponsive when trying to execute a query. I've set the DB service on DEBUG logging, so when it comes around again I can check what last accessed it.
Liked by knightjorb likes this.
Old 12/20/2012, 09:14 PM   #128 (permalink)

Just a thought, but could this problem be caused by any installed patches from webOS? Such "muffle system logging", or "unthrottle download manager"? Just a thought because these seem to be somewhat connected to what is causing the database to freeze up.
Old 12/20/2012, 09:53 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Just a thought, but could this problem be caused by any installed patches from webOS? Such "muffle system logging", or "unthrottle download manager"? Just a thought because these seem to be somewhat connected to what is causing the database to freeze up.
knightjorb,

I do not think it was caused by any patch. My touchpad did not have preware, when the issue started. jambutti posted yesterday that he noticed the issue after the HP Catalog app update.
va20171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 12:17 AM   #130 (permalink)

Interesting to note, the few reports I received all indicate that something went wrong in connection with the App Catalog.
Old 12/21/2012, 03:49 AM   #131 (permalink)

Checked the logs, and it seems a culprit could be the database compacting process. However, it seems the database is still operational after that. In fact, the DB answered to a request 40 minutes after compacting, but then stopped responding 3 seconds after that. The service is still live and shows that it received requests, but doesn't answer them. I'll check later if I can perform a manual compact and see if it stops responding again.
Old 12/21/2012, 08:06 AM   #132 (permalink)

What are we looking for? What would the db compacting look like?
Old 12/21/2012, 12:33 PM   #133 (permalink)

If you set the logging level to INFO, it'll show that it's compacting.
Old 12/21/2012, 02:40 PM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Attachment 66483
I tried it this morning and got the same exact message.
shanpalm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 02:49 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
If you set the logging level to INFO, it'll show that it's compacting.
I set it to info, but I don't know what to look for. What does compacting mean.
Old 12/21/2012, 03:19 PM   #136 (permalink)

Compact means to reduce possible gaps in the database files so everything is packed together and takes up less space. It also entails deleting old entries.
Old 12/21/2012, 03:26 PM   #137 (permalink)

Started a manual compact, and either the database is working hard to do the compact, or it's freezing up.

Does anyone experience a lot of battery drain after the DB fails?

I'm thinking that it may be easier to export all the database entries with the backup system, reinitialize the entire DB, then import the data back in.
Old 12/21/2012, 07:37 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
Started a manual compact, and either the database is working hard to do the compact, or it's freezing up.

Does anyone experience a lot of battery drain after the DB fails?

I'm thinking that it may be easier to export all the database entries with the backup system, reinitialize the entire DB, then import the data back in.
Not too much, but it drains more than usual. Looking at the logs, it seems the touchpad does go to sleep, preserving some juice. Also, when using the touchpad it seems to run slower but not too bad (maybe because it is overclocked at 1.5).

When you say reinitialize the entire DB, would not a hard reset followed by a profile restore do this? I tried that before, but the issue came back after a few days.
Old 12/21/2012, 07:44 PM   #139 (permalink)

When I ran the manual compact it seems it never ended, and used 99.4% CPU, so that's why I'd expect a power drain.

Can more people confirm that they had the problem after something failed with App Catalog?
Old 12/21/2012, 07:53 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
When I ran the manual compact it seems it never ended, and used 99.4% CPU, so that's why I'd expect a power drain.

Can more people confirm that they had the problem after something failed with App Catalog?
Is it possible to run manual compact from the terminal? Would you mind posting the command? I do not remember if this started after the App Catalog update, but it is possible.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0