webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > TP needs daily re-boot
TP needs daily re-boot
Like Tree12Likes

Old 12/18/2012, 11:01 PM   #101 (permalink)

I'd really want to get to the bottom of this, but since the problem isn't actually occuring on my device, I can't do much to solve it. So let's step it up a notch. I'd like someone to send me their entire /var and /tmp/tokens so I can put it on the emulator and simulate the conditions that cause the problem.

/var is pretty much where all the non preinstalled data lives. It's one part of four variable file systems on the TouchPad: store-var (misc user data), store-media (USB drive), store-db (MojoDB), and store-filecache (browser, mail, etc. cache). /var has the DB and file cache mounted, so that takes care of three. I don't need the media partition because it's purely for user files (and app storage, which does not matter). The other bit I need are the tokens, so that I could connect to cloud services (the emulator does not have tokens, and therefore can't authenticate). With all those pieces, I can approximate a real functioning TouchPad with the same problem on the emulator. Hopefully that'll be a good approximation and I can see the problem first hand.

PM me if you're interested. Yes, I'll have access to your accounts, but only for the purposes of debugging the database. Your data won't be abused.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: va20171
Old 12/19/2012, 03:57 AM   #102 (permalink)

Would I use lumberjack to get these things and send them to you?
knightjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 02:14 PM   #103 (permalink)

I agree. I applied the db_recover last night, rebooted TP, but it did not help. After seeing that all accounts were gone and mojodb CPU usage was at 90%, I bounced mojodb process, then everything came back.
va20171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 03:31 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightjorb View Post
Would I use lumberjack to get these things and send them to you?
You'll need to have shell access to your device, either through Novaterm or SSH.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/19/2012, 06:36 PM   #105 (permalink)

I'm working on shell access right now. I feel stupid asking, but what is SSH? And could I do this on a Mac, or should I use windows?
Old 12/19/2012, 06:54 PM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm working on shell access right now. I feel stupid asking, but what is SSH? And could I do this on a Mac, or should I use windows?
Install the Novacom package from opensource.palm.com and you can run novaterm from Terminal to access your device.
Old 12/19/2012, 07:04 PM   #107 (permalink)

Sorry, but that didn't really answer my question. I already have the novacom drivers that were required to install preware, but only those, and they are on a Mac. Would a Mac work? Once again, I'm sorry but I know basically nothing about coding, so expect a lot of questions.
Old 12/19/2012, 07:11 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry, but that didn't really answer my question. I already have the novacom drivers that were required to install preware, but only those, and they are on a Mac. Would a Mac work? Once again, I'm sorry but I know basically nothing about coding, so expect a lot of questions.
Yes, a Mac will work. Just open Terminal and type in
Code:
novaterm
Alternatively, you can also use webOS Quick Install to open up a shell. I think it's under Tools->Linux Commandline.
Thanked By: knightjorb
Old 12/19/2012, 07:33 PM   #109 (permalink)

So I have terminal up right now and can type commands, what do I type?
Old 12/19/2012, 07:37 PM   #110 (permalink)

Make sure you're in a shell from the device. Check that the prompt begins with "root@{your device name here / webos-device}".

Code:
tar cfzv /media/internal/var.tar.gz /var/*
tar cfzv /media/internal/tokens.tar.gz /tmp/tokens/*
Find the files var.tar.gz and tokens.tar.gz from the USB drive, and upload them somewhere. PM me a link. DO NOT UPLOAD TO THE FORUMS. You don't want everyone to be able to access your email accounts and such,
Thanked By: knightjorb
Old 12/19/2012, 07:47 PM   #111 (permalink)

One more thing, I am not currently having the accounts/database problems, so should I wait until after the problem occurs?
Old 12/19/2012, 07:52 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
One more thing, I am not currently having the accounts/database problems, so should I wait until after the problem occurs?
If it has occurred at any time prior you should send the files to me. It occurs repeatedly, so it doesn't really matter at what time you take the files because something's wrong the whole time. I'll probably leave it running on the emulator and see when this occurs, and when it does I'll do some tests.
Old 12/19/2012, 08:12 PM   #113 (permalink)

So it will be 69 pages at 8pt in open office. It makes no sense to me, but does that seem right to you?
Old 12/19/2012, 08:15 PM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
So it will be 69 pages at 8pt in open office. It makes no sense to me, but does that seem right to you?
That doesn't make any sense to me either. You're trying to send a compressed file that's like a ZIP file, and having it open in OpenOffice doesn't make sense. It's binary.

(I'm asking for pretty much a replica live system, because I haven't found any good way to tackle it from the logs.)
Old 12/19/2012, 08:19 PM   #115 (permalink)

I copied and pasted the code you gave into the terminal, and it loaded all that. It didn't really seem useful though. I copied what was in the terminal over into open office so I could then put it in Dropbox.
Old 12/19/2012, 08:24 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
I copied and pasted the code you gave into the terminal, and it loaded all that. It didn't really seem useful though. I copied what was in the terminal over into open office so I could then put it in Dropbox.
You could just pull it off the USB drive and upload from your computer. Putting it through Quickoffice will corrupt the files because Quickoffice wasn't designed for binary files.
Old 12/19/2012, 08:30 PM   #117 (permalink)

When I plug in the touchpad, should I put it into USB mode?
Old 12/19/2012, 08:31 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
When I plug in the touchpad, should I put it into USB mode?
Yes you should. Plug it in just as if you were transferring a Word document out of it.
Old 12/19/2012, 08:47 PM   #119 (permalink)

Sorry I'm so slow, but its in USB mode and connected, I used the code you gave me and pasted it into the terminal which had root@myhptouchpad:/#. I put the code after the # sign. And I got the same stuff, pages of non binary stuff.
Old 12/19/2012, 08:52 PM   #120 (permalink)

Could you PM me your email address or Skype so I can walk you through this? It'll be faster than the back and forth through the forums.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0