webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > TP needs daily re-boot
TP needs daily re-boot
  Reply
Like Tree12Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09/04/2012, 08:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 6
09/01 - Was occuring sometime between midnight and 6:00 am. Turned off the automatic back up and still happened.
09/02 - go up this morning, expected to reboot and all accounts were there.
09/03 and 09/04 - all accounts still present and no need to reboot. I have done nothing other than turned off the automatic backup for one day, but it still required a reboot the next day.
theronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: shanpalm61
Old 09/11/2012, 01:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by theronco View Post
09/01 - Was occuring sometime between midnight and 6:00 am. Turned off the automatic back up and still happened.
09/02 - go up this morning, expected to reboot and all accounts were there.
09/03 and 09/04 - all accounts still present and no need to reboot. I have done nothing other than turned off the automatic backup for one day, but it still required a reboot the next day.
I started having same problem a few days ago. I will try your remedy. Thanks
shanpalm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 04:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 248
Hi all with these strange problems on TouchPad !
Please read my thread http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...gets-full.html and let us know if some of you did encounter this "full /var" problem on your TP.
Install wterm or similar to find out the disc free space (df /var).

My TouchPad is back to normal after cleaning up the /var file partition.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 05:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by theronco View Post
Just recently had this problem with my touch pad. Must reboot daily to be able to use facebook, e-mail, map, HP app store, etc, and anything that has a synergy account. No response, jut the spinning wheel, but I am still commected to the Netowrk. Latest OS version installed, no homebrew, no preware, no new applications loaded for months, and problem began occuring last week.

When I check my accounts, It doesn show any. After the reboot, they appear and all work fine until the next day.
Have you found a fix for this problem yet? I'm having the the same problem and its been going on for at least a month. I've tried different suggested fixes but nothing works. I have discovered that it happens at 1:38.02 am every night.
shanpalm61@gmail.com
shanpalm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 06:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
Hi all with these strange problems on TouchPad !
Please read my thread http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...gets-full.html and let us know if some of you did encounter this "full /var" problem on your TP.
Install wterm or similar to find out the disc free space (df /var).

My TouchPad is back to normal after cleaning up the /var file partition.
Martin, what did you remove in the /var partition? I run df and it is showing that /var is only 42% used. I am thinking the issue might not be the size, but some file causing problems.
va20171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2012, 06:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by va20171 View Post
Martin, what did you remove in the /var partition? I run df and it is showing that /var is only 42% used. I am thinking the issue might not be the size, but some file causing problems.
I give hints on that thread right after Martin's post. Ask if you need details.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 03:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 136
Martin, I followed your instructions on the full var file etc. It did help me be able to download apps again but I still have to restart my Touchpad every morning. I loaded up lumberjack and I found that this is happening every night at 1:38 am pacific time. I have even been using it a that time and it still happens.
I'm starting to see a few more frustrated people. I even contacted Derek, our super man, and he made some suggestions. My problem is I don't have a pc to do a doctor. I saw in one post someone said there has to be a screwed up file of some type. I'm wondering if it isn't some kind of virus.
thanks for your hard work on this matter. At least we still have some family left here.
shanpalm61@gmail.com
shanpalm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 03:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Just wondering, what's up with the 1:38 am? What stops working? AFAIK the TP doesn't have anything linked to that odd time.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 03:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Moderator
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Just wondering, what's up with the 1:38 am? What stops working? AFAIK the TP doesn't have anything linked to that odd time.
the only thing I was thinking is backup... but backup doesn't run at exact same time in my experience....

Maybe a weird network WiFi glitch? Or it's some weird webOS easter egg like the time on HTC phones...
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 03:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
the only thing I was thinking is backup... but backup doesn't run at exact same time in my experience....
And backup shouldn't be a showstopper. I've ran my TP well into the night and it doesn't experience any hitches.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 03:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Moderator
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
And backup shouldn't be a showstopper. I've ran my TP well into the night and it doesn't experience any hitches.
Agreed, just thinking maybe something corrupt and backup (at least for me) usually runs over night on every webOS device I have ever had.

I'm really leaning towards a network DHCP/IP issue.

I haven't read through every post completely, has anyone tried power cycling router and modem instead of rebooting the TouchPad. I have a lot of devices on my network wired and on WiFi and do come up on some conflicts (way to lazy to track em down) that require a power cycle of network and modem.


Just thinking it may be a different issue than what others have seen if it's the same time every night. Other idea is there any devices that stay on the network that may have some automated action in the middle of the night (virus scan, update, etc). I know I'm grasping at straws but this is a weird one, the wife and I never turn our TouchPads off and never have this issue.
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by shanpalm61 likes this.
Old 10/04/2012, 07:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Agreed, just thinking maybe something corrupt and backup (at least for me) usually runs over night on every webOS device I have ever had.

I'm really leaning towards a network DHCP/IP issue.

I haven't read through every post completely, has anyone tried power cycling router and modem instead of rebooting the TouchPad. I have a lot of devices on my network wired and on WiFi and do come up on some conflicts (way to lazy to track em down) that require a power cycle of network and modem.


Just thinking it may be a different issue than what others have seen if it's the same time every night. Other idea is there any devices that stay on the network that may have some automated action in the middle of the night (virus scan, update, etc). I know I'm grasping at straws but this is a weird one, the wife and I never turn our TouchPads off and never have this issue.
I am wondering if something triggers on an event, like a sync or a backup. Mine does this at random hours, but it is daily. I

I lose bookmarks and the browser won't connect. I lose my inbox on a google mail account, 2 pop 3's, and an exchange account including calendar.

Sometimes I leave mail open, and it's there when I try to open a message, then the inbox disappears.

Occasionally, connectivity is there for my browser and apps, but I will get a "must be connected" message, even while the page is loading. At that point, I know I will be able to use it for a while, but I know mail is gone and the bookmarks will be ready to disappear any moment until it reboots.

Unrelated, but something that just started yesterday, when on battery power, the screen will not time out. Down come back to a dark room and the screen will be as bright as ever.

I have plenty of devices on my network - a cell phone, laptop, wired desktop, bridge connecting my receiver, TV, slingbox, and DVD player plus occasional guests.
howdydooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 09:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
Moderator
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
All I can add is that I don't once remember power cycling network for any of our webOS devices (2 phones at least and 2 TouchPads always with a 3rd randomly powered up for dev/testing/etc). Don't ever recall an event of continually rebooting a webOS device for this reason either.

That is what it leading me to wonder about other network devices... or network settins in general.
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 03:48 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Just wondering, what's up with the 1:38 am? What stops working? AFAIK the TP doesn't have anything linked to that odd time.
I am loosing my accounts. I know this 1:38 am thing is weird. One night I was even in my gmail and gmail went dead. I checked the time and it was again 1:38 am. I then checked my accounts and the where all gone so I had to reboot and all my accounts where back.
Not every Touchpad out there is doing this loosing accounts so those us that are having this problem have something in common with what we have done with our Touchpad. Maybe we have all downloaded a program others haven't .
shanpalm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 03:45 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgaither View Post
My TP loses its accounts just after midnight every day. It requires a reboot to restore the accounts. This happens regardless of whether the TP has been used the day before.

I have 5 synergy accounts, plus the WebOS account. They are box.net; Dropbox; email account compuserve.com; and 2 calendar accounts at gmail. I am running OS 3.0.5, UberKernel, and Govnah On DemandTcl 1512. Homebrew apps include: Add Launcher Tabs, Homebrew JS Service Framework, and FileMgr. I tried App Tuckerbox, but unregistered it later.

Anybody with ideas? Thanks in advance.
I use my TP as an alarm clock so it is catastrophic that it loses my alarm settings. I also notice that all my music has disappeared. Internet connection just fine. A reboot always clears.

1) I would agree that it seems to happen after Midnight

2) This just started to happen I hadn't add an an app or upgraded anything.

I might try disabling gmail
zzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2012, 01:17 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Just wondering, what would happen if you disconnect the TP from the Internet? I'm trying to figure out whether this is a local thing or if it only occurs when there is a network connection.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 06:04 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Just wondering, what would happen if you disconnect the TP from the Internet? I'm trying to figure out whether this is a local thing or if it only occurs when there is a network connection.
Last night I had no wifi connection. Checked 00:06 Everything OK next morning same problem no alarms or music.

What is backup? -- just found it in settings and have switched it off

Last edited by zzapper; 10/10/2012 at 06:13 AM.
zzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 07:26 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzapper View Post
Last night I had no wifi connection. Checked 00:06 Everything OK next morning same problem no alarms or music.

What is backup? -- just found it in settings and have switched it off
Backup gathers your data and settings, zip them up, and upload them to the backup servers daily so in case you have to wipe your device, the next time you register the device with your Palm Profile it will try to restore your original data using the last backup. Turning off backup removes all backups on HP's servers as well as stopping automatic uploads.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2012, 02:44 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 136
I have been running Lumberjack to help me keep an eye on this problem. Now today before I rebooted I checked it and Lumberjack is running 7 hours ahead of time and the there is so many Enyo errors I was in awe. I'm not in anyway a tech or developer but I've been trying some of the suggestions you all have put on here. I don't have a pc right now so doctoring is out. But I'm amazed at how many Enyo errors there was. Also before I rebooted I went into Preware and searched Enyo. To my amazement Enyo's web site domain name is up for sale.
I hope this helps as I know many of you are as tired of this daily reboot as I am.
shanpalm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2012, 11:28 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 5
Hi
Well it was tricky to test if backup was the problem because it seems to re-enable itself. But in the end I've decided that backup was not guilty. However if I disconnect wifi then I don't have to reboot.
zzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0