Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 248
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Loiter's Avatar
    Posts
    682 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #201  
    The problem stopped all of the sudden these past few days, without me doing anything out of the ordinary.
    But then I opened the Backup "app" and I discovered that the last backup was on February 26th.
    I don't know why automatic backups stopped, I didn't change anything but it seems that the reason is indeed this.
  2. #202  
    Hi there,

    It's a while since my reboots are not needed anymore... I did nothing to it, just that DB-recover.

    Since then, my HP Pre 3 feels some how slow, it's been gradually worsening, slowly developing over time till now it is almost useless, has TERRIBLE slow-downs: it sits on a blank page, spins that whirlpool and does nothing, it feels like it has 33Mhz CPU and 640 kB RAM.
    WORSE, when it finally loads the web page, suddenly the screen goes blank and WHIRPOOL start all over again.. this is crazy. So much powerful hardware smashed down to its knees by system software issues
    I guess I will have to factory reset it and start all over from scratch or get rid of it.
    If anyone wants this phone, drop me a pm (ships from Germany).
  3. #203  
    Even though I don't need to do a reboot because of this daily problem, I still reboot about once every two weeks, or so, because the browser slows down, pages freeze, the whirling disk shows up more often, and the general web experience degrades noticeably, etc. I was generally doing this during the months before the daily problem appeared. The reboot resets enough stuff to restore the browser to more normal performance .

    -------

    The daily problem appeared for me last July. Sometime earlier, I do remember reading on this site something about automatic backups. I noticed the backup icon under settings, and was surprised that it was turned off. I'm sure I set it when I first got my TP, but doubt I checked on it when the 3.0.5 upgrade happened - or any time since then. So for me, I must have gone many months without backups ...?

    The other thing that happened to my TP last summer, somewhat coincident with the daily reboot problem, was that I got a message saying to the effect that that photos was filled up and I couldn't save anymore. (Maybe some 150ish photos at some 300k? in size. My old iphone had pretty much the same photos plus 4 times that amount.)

    Anyway, I've always been suspicious of 'backup' for the daily reboot problem.
  4. #204  
    Quote Originally Posted by tstraetker View Post
    Even though I don't need to do a reboot because of this daily problem, I still reboot about once every two weeks, or so, because the browser slows down, pages freeze, the whirling disk shows up more often, and the general web experience degrades noticeably, etc. I was generally doing this during the months before the daily problem appeared. The reboot resets enough stuff to restore the browser to more normal performance .

    -------

    The daily problem appeared for me last July. Sometime earlier, I do remember reading on this site something about automatic backups. I noticed the backup icon under settings, and was surprised that it was turned off. I'm sure I set it when I first got my TP, but doubt I checked on it when the 3.0.5 upgrade happened - or any time since then. So for me, I must have gone many months without backups ...?

    The other thing that happened to my TP last summer, somewhat coincident with the daily reboot problem, was that I got a message saying to the effect that that photos was filled up and I couldn't save anymore. (Maybe some 150ish photos at some 300k? in size. My old iphone had pretty much the same photos plus 4 times that amount.)

    Anyway, I've always been suspicious of 'backup' for the daily reboot problem.
    If you have Lumberjack or something that continuously logs, try emptying the log files, they will bog things down. That's my best guess.
  5. #205  
    I've also been having the daily reboot problem. I read through this thread, but haven't tried any of the proposed fixes yet.
    The first thing I saw on mine is that /var is 199 MB. I see in the "troubles when /var file partition gets full" thread that the /var partition is only 64 MB. I'd like to clean it, but I didn't see the details on what is safe to delete from there.
    I also did the reboot just now, and /var only went down to 194 MB.
  6. #206  
    Sounds like the var partition was resized, or you may be reading something else. I have no clue what would take up 100MB of space on the var partition.
  7. #207  
    I think I was using the wrong method to see the size of var. I had used Internalz and selected the Info of /var to get 199MB When I use df /var through wterm, it says 63472 1K blocks, 44436 used, 19036 available, use% 70%.
    That may be higher than a comfortable level, but I don't think it should cause a concern. I'll try some of the other suggestions in this thread next.
    Thanks for the work on this problem.
  8. #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhamle01 View Post
    The problem has seemed to have disappeared.


    I had disabled backups = no effect.

    Shutdown TP and removed from touchstone overnight for 3 nights = normal use after boot in the A.M. with no reboot needed.

    Turned off radios (Airplane Mode) for the next two nights = no reboot required.

    Forgot to turn on Airplane Mode on 3rd night = everything was working normally in the A.M. This has been the case now for 3 mornings.

    Next step is to enable backups again. It is so nice to not have to reboot every day.
    I've tried every combination of nightly shutdowns, overnight "Airplane Mode", and enable/disable backups and still now require daily reboots. Whatever it was that gave us a reprieve for a few days eludes us.

    With the sale of WebOS to LG, it may be time to consider alternatives to the TP (at least running WebOS), unless a fix for this annoyance can be found.
  9. #209  
    Lets face it,

    it looks like a defect in the database which may vary in criticality and thus has different effects to differents users. This seems to explain, why some people can find workarounds and others not.

    I visited the Doctor some weeks ago and yes it was a pain to rebuild all my apps and data including look and feel, but the doctor rebuilt the database from scratch and finaly "solved" the problem. I hope that the time period until next "daily reboot" will be more than a few months.


    My concern will then be the question, how can I reinstall all my (paid) apps when LG finally closed the app store?
    - will the doctor work at all then, as it tries to connect the server in an early stage?
    - should I package all my apps with IPK-packager right now?


    Regards,

    Berzerk.
    Last edited by berzerk; 03/13/2013 at 09:14 AM.
  10. #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerk View Post
    My concern will then be the question, how can I reinstall all my (paid) apps when LG finally closed the app store?
    - will the doctor work at all then, as it tries to connect the server in an early stage?
    - should I package all my apps with IPK-packager right now?
    - LG does not control the cloud servers, HP does
    - The Doctor does not connect to the internet for use, only when you sign in with First Use a connection is neede.
    - I made a patch for that. Do you know how to make an IPK properly?
  11. #211  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    - LG does not control the cloud servers, HP does
    - The Doctor does not connect to the internet for use, only when you sign in with First Use a connection is neede.
    - I made a patch for that. Do you know how to make an IPK properly?
    1) Yes I meant the sign in phase! Can I skip that phase? (Is there a documentation on how to do that without signing in?
    2) what patch do you mean and what is it for?

    i never repackaged an app, but I read somewhere how to do it.
  12. #212  
    today, my HP Pre 3 finally died:
    It asked for reboot, because storage was full and after the reboot it looked like it was factory reset with language choice prompt on the screen...
    worse:
    I chose the language and since than it is sitting with the whirlpool on the screen endlessly.... how can I recover it from this?
    I tried several resets and it can not get past the message "setting the language"
    Is there any way to factory reset Pre 3 using keys combination?
    "ALT(that white square key) + SYM + Power button" for 10 seconds do not help...
    Last edited by babeliak; 03/20/2013 at 03:22 PM.
  13. MikeN68's Avatar
    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    #213  
    I know this is not fixing the problem, but fixing seems to be more difficult and 'varied' than first hoped. I know GMMan has put in substantial time and effort in tracking down the cause and answering questions, but some are still having the problem of the TP freezing.

    I now restart my TP as I leave the office everyday and have no problem. If however I miss a daily restart, my TP freezes on the way home.

    So, as the TP seems to run well between restarts, is there an app out there that could restart the device at a set time?
  14. #214  
    have any of the people with the same problem checked their device logs for recurring error messages (esp around and before the times of the day they notice their issues) that others could investigate as a possible suspect for bogging down their systems.

    could be a common link somewhere?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  15. #215  
    It's most likely to be the database implementation.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    So, as the TP seems to run well between restarts, is there an app out there that could restart the device at a set time?
    I'm sure it's possible to create an activity that calls the reboot command at a set period.
  16. #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    It's most likely to be the database implementation.



    I'm sure it's possible to create an activity that calls the reboot command at a set period.
    i think someone mentioned such an app quite a while ago, (preset reset?) but im sure it ran in the phone emulator, so assumed it wouldnt work correctly, might work perfectly for all ii know ofc. Only other app i know like this is mode switcher2 which is ofc phone only as well.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  17. #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    So, as the TP seems to run well between restarts, is there an app out there that could restart the device at a set time?
    If you have preware install "Reboot Scheduler". You can set the time for daily reboots. I tried this in my touchpad and it worked fine.
    MikeN68 likes this.
  18. #218  
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerk View Post
    Lets face it,

    it looks like a defect in the database which may vary in criticality and thus has different effects to differents users. This seems to explain, why some people can find workarounds and others not.

    I visited the Doctor some weeks ago and yes it was a pain to rebuild all my apps and data including look and feel, but the doctor rebuilt the database from scratch and finaly "solved" the problem. I hope that the time period until next "daily reboot" will be more than a few months.


    My concern will then be the question, how can I reinstall all my (paid) apps when LG finally closed the app store?
    - will the doctor work at all then, as it tries to connect the server in an early stage?
    - should I package all my apps with IPK-packager right now?


    Regards,

    Berzerk.
    I too visited the Doctor and all is well for the last 4 days, no reboot required. Thanks.
  19. MikeN68's Avatar
    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by va20171 View Post
    If you have preware install "Reboot Scheduler". You can set the time for daily reboots. I tried this in my touchpad and it worked fine.
    va20171 - Works like a treat, thank you.

    Maybe I'll get round to Doctoring one day, but until something major happens that can't be fixed/avoided, I'm happy.

    Cheers.
  20. #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    va20171 - Works like a treat, thank you.

    Maybe I'll get round to Doctoring one day, but until something major happens that can't be fixed/avoided, I'm happy.

    Cheers.
    You're welcome. I used the Reboot Scheduler before until I decided to change the mojodbpurge schedule. I set it to 7 days, so now I manually reboot my TP once a week.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions