1.    #1  
    Since my touchpad died and no key combination works I am considering opening the touchpad removing the battery and plugin the tablet to the charger to see if it boots. similar to what they do for the pre:
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Any thoughts about this?

last thread about this:
    White battery logo with question mark screen - can... - Support Community
    No idea if it will boot without a battery, but have you tried using the official touchpad charger? It's 5.2v instead of 5, and has a 2 amp output instead of 1. I notice that when my touchpad is dead dead like if I don't charge it for a few weeks, it requires the original touchpad charger to start the charging process. Once it gets to 10% or so and can power on, I can switch to a smaller regular 5v 1amp charger.
    FrankenPre+ on Sprint SERO 500 Premium
    You can hot swap a battery, but you only have so long till it turns off
    Haven't tried for a long time, but in the past the device did not boot without a battery.
    A hot swap was possible in the past but doesn't work each time: Swap Battery in 1.3.1
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    You can hot swap a battery, but you only have so long till it turns off
    Thanks. what do you mean by "you have so long till it turns off". If I remove the battery and then plug the charger in can I boot the device and then use it as a wired device? If so, can I then apply webosdoctor to recover to factory settings and hopefully be able to charge the battery again?

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by bsan View Post
    Thanks. what do you mean by "you have so long till it turns off". If I remove the battery and then plug the charger in can I boot the device and then use it as a wired device? If so, can I then apply webosdoctor to recover to factory settings and hopefully be able to charge the battery again?

Thanks again.
    No the device actually checks for a battery during the attempt of the boot process. It's unlikely you'll be able to boot up the device run the doctor and reflash the device without the battery actually being in it.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    No the device actually checks for a battery during the attempt of the boot process. It's unlikely you'll be able to boot up the device run the doctor and reflash the device without the battery actually being in it.
    what about following this:
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals

3Remove the battery
    4Connect the USB cable and wait for the battery image to appear on the screen (or wait around 10-15 seconds)

It mentions remove the battery (although not specifically for hp TP).

Is it still impossible to recover?
    that is for the phones,not the TP. TP must-have battery installed.