webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > [TIP] Unlimited Skips in Pandora
[TIP] Unlimited Skips in Pandora
Like Tree10Likes

Old 01/28/2012, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

One of the main complaints of Pandora radio is that it limits the number of songs that you can skip. With webOS, this can be easily solved.

Prerequisites:
Internalz Pro (preferably with Master Mode on.)
Basic system knowledge (you're here, you have it.)

This works in all Pandora apps available, even Pandora Tablet.
(what? Pandora Tablet? That sounds cool. http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...pandora-tablet )

*********Patch files*************
For webOS phones (Veer, Pre, Pixi): Pandora Unlimited Skips.patch
For Touchpad: Pandora Tablet Unlimited Skips (TouchPad).patch
*********/Patch files*************

1. Open internalz Pro.
2. Navigate to media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.pandora/app/core
(In Pandora Tablet, it would be com.drewksparks.pandora-tablet instead of com.palm.pandora)
3. Open the js file "skip_limit_service.js"
4. Go to the bottom of the page where it says "60 * 60 * 1000"
5. Delete the second 6. It should now read "60 * 0 * 1000"
6. Save the file, reboot Luna.

(What? You liked this? Make your mother proud and say thanks.)

Decide you like having your skips limited? Put that 6 back in there. Bam. Limits.

@drewksparks_dev on Twitter

Devices: Palm Pre 2 and 32gb Touchpad

I'm a webOS freak, according to my mother.

Last edited by drewksparks; 04/27/2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: fixed patch files, typo
drewksparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by propwashz, pinoyrepn1124, cshrader and 4 others like this.
Old 01/29/2012, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Didn't realize there is a Touchpad version for Pandora in app catalog. Thanks a lot for this!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
matchqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
Didn't realize there is a Touchpad version for Pandora in app catalog. Thanks a lot for this!

Yep! Please give feedback on it, so I can fix all the bugs. It's still in web distribution, hopefully it'll graduate to the Catalog soon.

Old 01/29/2012, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nice! Thanks for this.

I tried to also do this on my Pre2, but com.palm.pandora was not there. Is this not possible on phones, or is it located elsewhere?

EDIT: NM. Navigated to wrong folder - . All set now. Thanks again!!

Last edited by davidtm; 01/29/2012 at 09:18 AM.
davidtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think the working notification icon and exhibition mode are the two most important features in a TP pandora app, and you have them. Some overlap on the controls in the main app screen, but no doubt that will be fixed in future updates. Initial account login screen is stretched.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
I think the working notification icon and exhibition mode are the two most important features in a TP pandora app, and you have them. Some overlap on the controls in the main app screen, but no doubt that will be fixed in future updates. Initial account login screen is stretched.
The initial screen is one of the main issues I'm working on. The app will be receiving a lot of small updates in the next few weeks. This week might be slow, I have to send my Touchpad in for repairs. (Cracked speaker haha) I'll be making the icons look more clean in all.

Thanked by Kneelbeforezod, Willard
Old 01/29/2012, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hey Drewksparks, do you think you can add the skip button in notification controller?

Liked by drewksparks likes this.
Old 01/29/2012, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Initial login screen rendered somewhat bizarrely. I was able to sign in my guessing where to tap to enter my username and password. Play screen not as bad. Here are some screenshots. Notice that some channels have the extra digital info in brackets, and the album cover doesn't match on one song (probably another issue?)
Old 01/29/2012, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

how do you get this? Can't find it in app catalog or with app tuckkerbox...
joedisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
how do you get this? Can't find it in app catalog or with app tuckkerbox...
Check the link in original post. It's in palm beta app catalog.

Thanked By: drewksparks
Old 01/29/2012, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
Initial login screen rendered somewhat bizarrely. I was able to sign in my guessing where to tap to enter my username and password. Play screen not as bad. Here are some screenshots. Notice that some channels have the extra digital info in brackets, and the album cover doesn't match on one song (probably another issue?)
The initial login screen is the first thing on my list to fix. It's so bad, I left instructions on how to type in your information on the main description. Attached is a mock-up of how i would like the play screen to look in an ideal situation. That extra digital info is some that needs to be converted from HTML. Remember, this is a really rough version, and if you guys have any suggestions to improve the UI, let me know. (Especially the Exhibition side of things.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Concept.jpg (99.6 KB, 33 views) Email Attachment

Thanked By: davidtm
Old 01/29/2012, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
R_E

Two things come to mind about this post.

1) Pandora is a great free and legal application. It however is only able to stay free based on revenue from people who buy their unlimited service because they actually pay for each song they stream. By not paying for unlimited, you are cheating Pandora and leading to their demise. It not like they are some big software company charging hundreds of dollars. Just pay.

2) I assume Pandora Tablet is based on the source code for the Pre Pandora app and that it is not sanctioned by Pandora (If either of these is not true, please disregard this). That would make this app copyright infringement. There are actual legal ways to distribute something like this other than distributing Pandora's IP. One such way is to make a patch.

Part of what makes the WebOS community so great is it commitment to legal device enrichment and in my opinion it should stay that way.
R_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 12:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quick comment about Pandora Tablet. There doesn't seem to be a way to get back to the main screen from 'preferences' screen.

Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: drewksparks
Old 01/30/2012, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E View Post
Two things come to mind about this post.

1) Pandora is a great free and legal application. It however is only able to stay free based on revenue from people who buy their unlimited service because they actually pay for each song they stream. By not paying for unlimited, you are cheating Pandora and leading to their demise. It not like they are some big software company charging hundreds of dollars. Just pay.

2) I assume Pandora Tablet is based on the source code for the Pre Pandora app and that it is not sanctioned by Pandora (If either of these is not true, please disregard this). That would make this app copyright infringement. There are actual legal ways to distribute something like this other than distributing Pandora's IP. One such way is to make a patch.

Part of what makes the WebOS community so great is it commitment to legal device enrichment and in my opinion it should stay that way.
For the record, there is an open source program that has made the Pandora javascript controllers avalible to all, called Open Pandora. The controller files I used are open source. I have contacted Palm and Pandora by email making them aware of the application. At their request, I will push out an update that renders the application useless.

Thanked by R_E, Willard
Old 01/30/2012, 02:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ah bummer. Would be willing to pay for pandora unlimited to use this app. Guess html5 it is. Thank you for your diligence and honesty.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 03:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Ah bummer. Would be willing to pay for pandora unlimited to use this app. Guess html5 it is. Thank you for your diligence and honesty.
Oh no, they haven't requested I pull it yet. I was simply saying that if they ask me to, I will. Sorry for not being clear. I did contact them with the app information.

Thanked By: Willard
Old 01/30/2012, 05:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Would love to see unlimited skips for Slacker. I use slacker way more than Pandora.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 06:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
R_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewksparks View Post
For the record, there is an open source program that has made the Pandora javascript controllers avalible to all, called Open Pandora. The controller files I used are open source. I have contacted Palm and Pandora by email making them aware of the application. At their request, I will push out an update that renders the application useless.
That is great to hear that. Sorry if I sounded accusatory, I didn't know about Open Pandora (though I still feel the same way about the unlimited skip thing but that's a separate issue). Personally, I hope Pandora allows you to continue because I think a table version of Pandora would be great.
R_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 07:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

R_E, no hard feelings here.

Everyone, just submitted an update, fixes the digital stuff next to the stations, as well as the sign in screen. I'm also trying to get a developer forum, so I can manage everything there. If anyone has any suggestions on UI, coding, etc, your input would be welcome. PM me if you have any grand ideas.

Old 01/30/2012, 08:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
Check the link in original post. It's in palm beta app catalog.

Do I need to do anything to enable beta apps or how do I access the beta app catalog? It's not showing up in the app catalog for me and google doesn't have much info...

Tags
music, pandora, tips

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0