webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Does the Touchpad need to be closed for the backlight to work?
Does the Touchpad need to be closed for the backlight to work?
  Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy X

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01/28/2012, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 3
Hi all,

I'm trying to repair my Touchpad which I stupidly got water on. I opened it up to dry it out. Once I reconnected the screen and laid it on top of the back half I had it power up to the desktop but with no backlight and a poorly responding touch surface. The unit was powered when water got on it and the light was working, albeit patch with water marks. So...

Does anyone know if the unit needs to be closed for the screen to light? I can see the front button won't work without closing so could this be similar? I assumed that the LCD cable would power it up.

I did think that there might be a sensor issue while the case is open but i should get some light regardless, right?

Would anyone know what I can check for the backlight or where I could get a replacement?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)
AwaNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
woosh#WN's Avatar
 
Posts: 220
good luck. Have any pics of your project?
__________________
You plug your phone in?
woosh#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
bable's Avatar
 
Posts: 247
Did you separate the lcd panel and digitizer? I did a repair like yours for a friend, found that moisture was stuck in that little assembly, and didn't get good results until I took out the philips and separated them for drying.

Also, you should be able to get a model# off anything in there, look up it's specs, and use a multimeter to find your problem
__________________
"The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"

Last edited by bable; 01/29/2012 at 11:34 AM.
bable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bable View Post
Did you separate the lcd panel and digitizer? I did a repair like yours for a friend, found that moisture was stuck in that little assembly, and didn't get good results until I took out the philips and separated them for drying.

Also, you should be able to get a model# off anything in there, look up it's specs, and use a multimeter to find your problem
Thanks for the reply Bable :-)

I did separate the LCD and digitizer, let them dry with some silica gel and a week and a bit. I didn't see any moisture when rebuilding it. I was expecting the screen rather than the light to give me issues.

I was going to poke with the multimeter but not sure where to poke :-) Any ideas?

BTW, did the screen light up when you had the screen attached but not clipped in?
AwaNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
bable's Avatar
 
Posts: 247
I usually poke wherever there's metal with a wire running to it and then call it science! You should be able to start at the backlight and work backwards. For the digitizer issue I'm not sure, I know older digitizers always needed to be re-calibrated after working on them but I rarely hear about that anymore...

It might just be that it does need to be fully reassembled for some ***** reason, I always put stuff fully back together before testing in order to force myself to do it right the first time. How much water did you get on it? Like a shot, a pint, or a toilet?

Those stars blank out the word qeer only spelled and used correctly...
__________________
"The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
bable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bable View Post
Those stars blank out the word qeer only spelled and used correctly...
The censor has spoken! Go wash your mouth out with soap!
DrPotoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
bable's Avatar
 
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
The censor has spoken! Go wash your mouth out with soap!
Helen Keller just had to wash her hands with soap when she said inappropriate things...
__________________
"The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
bable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwaNoodle View Post
Does anyone know if the unit needs to be closed for the screen to light? I can see the front button won't work without closing so could this be similar? I assumed that the LCD cable would power it up.
The screen should light up and also respond to touch while it is open (as long as you have the digitizer screwed to the mounting panel that the glass is stuck to). I know this first hand as I had to pull my TP apart to replace the glass on Saturday night.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bable View Post
Those stars blank out the word qeer only spelled and used correctly...
Huh? That word is derogatory nowadays? Thanks for letting me know before I got myself in trouble!
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwaNoodle View Post
Hi all,

I'm trying to repair my Touchpad which I stupidly got water on. I opened it up to dry it out. Once I reconnected the screen and laid it on top of the back half I had it power up to the desktop but with no backlight and a poorly responding touch surface. The unit was powered when water got on it and the light was working, albeit patch with water marks. So...

Does anyone know if the unit needs to be closed for the screen to light? I can see the front button won't work without closing so could this be similar? I assumed that the LCD cable would power it up.

I did think that there might be a sensor issue while the case is open but i should get some light regardless, right?

Would anyone know what I can check for the backlight or where I could get a replacement?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)
Hi, sorry for bring this year old thread up, but I am now facing the exact same ordeal and wanted to know if you've had any luck bringing it back to life. I have just disassembled them and have buried them in kitty litter to absorb any remaining moisture, but am not confident this would do the trick.

I'd be really grateful for any responses! Thanks so much AwaNoodle!
kajong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,669
You're back
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kajong likes this.
Old 06/25/2013, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
You're back
Yes I am! was! ...
kajong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2013, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 3
I've not had much luck with unfortunately. When I've recently connected things back up I still have no backlight and I'm loath to close the unit because of the hassle of getting it apart again. The unit is working fine aside from the light. The issue with the digitiser was a slightly out of position ribbon cable.
AwaNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0