Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    So far I've tried the stock player, audiophile HD, and homebrew remix, the stock player seems to be the best on my 1.8ghz panda which isn't saying a great deal. With about 40gigs of music the stock player has the least lag when flipping through artists and such, audiophile is useless as the indexer never finishes and even if I force past that it's still slow and jerky, and homebrew remix also lags more noticeably than the stock player. Is paid Remix very smooth? After Audiophile I don't want to waste beer money on another unsatisfying audio app and I can't find a recent version of Remix to pirate so I can't test it out, which is never a good sign for the software.

Does anyone know of an app that can smoothly scroll through a large library, quickly switch songs, and preferably produce a bacon smell as it does so? Or, am I possibly just doing something wrong? I have her overclocked through uber with most(if not all, probably all) of the performance patches installed. I've avoided trying out CM9 audio options since I'd rather keep WebOS as my audio OS so friends can see how awesome it is but right now it's hardly a good advertisement.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, I don't care about the look or features beyond listing by artist, a search function, little pause when switching tracks, and >smooth scrolling< through lists.

ADD1/29: Remix is the best option, it's the bacon of music players.
    Last edited by bable; 01/29/2012 at 12:40 PM.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    The app catalog version of Music Player (Remix) is only available on webOS 2.0 or later. If you're using the homebrew version, then presumably you're using a webOS 1.x device. (EDIT: I just noticed this is in the "TouchPad" forum. So if you're using a TouchPad, then yes the catalog version of Remix will work).

In regards to the differences between the catalog and homebrew versions of Remix, the catalog version is light years ahead of the homebrew version in features and stability. The homebrew version is simply an old beta version that I released to homebrew so webOS 1.x users could use some version of the app.

Since I'm the developer of Music Player (Remix), I'll let others comment on the pros and cons of it vs. other music apps.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 01/28/2012 at 07:30 PM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    5 stars from me and a multitude of others.

It's THAT good!

....and a responsive developer as well.
    I use the catalog version Music Player (Remix) on both my TouchPad and my Pre 3, well worth the money!
    I use music play remix also but it's not too intuitive. That's mostly my fault though, because I don't want to explore and set up so I usuall just shuffle all and go. Mainly, I like the huge buttons for forward/back. Then again, I use the stock player sometimes also.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies folks! Is scrolling through long lists smooth with the catalogs Remix though? That's the main trait I'm looking for, it destroys that wonderfully oppulant joy of mindlessly perusing music if the list jumps whole fixations and cumulatively lags in responsiveness. I've noticed artists after "G" are rarely played(all Beatles, no Stones) because scrolling through the list is so annoying and usually more effort than going and getting another device.
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    ...I don't want to waste beer money on another unsatisfying audio app and I can't find a recent version of Remix to pirate so I can't test it out, which is never a good sign for the software.
    Dont you just hate that??? I mean, the other night I stood in an alley waiting and waiting for someone to rob and no one showed up; not one! That is such a bad and disappointing sign for people these days. They have gotten so unreliable. (/s)

What is particularly distasteful is the fact that you prefaced things w/ "I actually have disposable funds, but you know, beer is like oxygen to me." The avatar and sig references to God aint exactly helpful either, but hey, I'm hardly the believer, so I'd leave that alone.

Remix is beyond great. Scrolling is buttery smooth on the Pre3 - overclocked or at defaults, and I cant recall having stutters. I use it often for all sorts of listening and love the flylists and bookmarking features. Its highly configurable - just take the time to watch the videos and know the app. The only other thing I personally want out of Remix is total control - local storage of all DBs - but I havent requested it as its a minor issue. A 5- or 7-band EQ would make it the best ever but thats not in his control for now (open source would change that).

You'd have to experience it yourself. Take a look at some videos then take the plunge. The brain cells you save will thank you later, as will your liver.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Ignoring the idiocy about pirating (ye gods, you'd think people would learn...),

2 questions:

1. Does Music Player (remix) play in landscape mode? From the web site (https://developer.palm.com/appredire...sicplayerremix) all the pictures are in portrait mode (I'm not in front of my TP at the moment).

2. Will it link to a uPNP server?

Thanks for any updates.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    1. Does Music Player (remix) play in landscape mode? From the web site (https://developer.palm.com/appredire...sicplayerremix) all the pictures are in portrait mode (I'm not in front of my TP at the moment).
    All the app's screens are optimized for both portrait and landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    2. Will it link to a uPNP server?
    No, it only plays files found by the webOS media indexer (i.e. locally-stored files).
    Last edited by DanPLC; 01/29/2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

I really like this app a lot, but it's just missing two things......

1) The ability to add radio streams (URLs) manually, this would be awesome to be able to use a single audio player for not just local music, but also for my streaming radio needs too.
    One player to do all.

2) "Cover Flow" A add-on option, if you include this it would make scrolling through my artists collection with just a simple swipe a breeze. Please consider these two options for future updated version.

Thanks a bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoutcastR View Post
    I really like this app a lot, but it's just missing two things......

1) The ability to add radio streams (URLs) manually, this would be awesome to be able to use a single audio player for not just local music, but also for my streaming radio needs too.
    One player to do all.

2) "Cover Flow" A add-on option, if you include this it would make scrolling through my artists collection with just a simple swipe a breeze. Please consider these two options for future updated version.

Thanks a bunch.
    Radio streaming is not going to happen. The only streaming I would consider is something like Google Music if the API becomes public.

Cover Flow is something I may consider one day.

Incidentally, if you have specific feature requests or questions about the app, you can post them in the official forum thread here: Music Player (Remix)

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Radio streaming is not going to happen. The only streaming I would consider is something like Google Music if the API becomes public.
    Fair enough, I understand. It was worth a shot.

Cover Flow is something I may consider one day.
    Cool!, looking forward if you do happen to add this. Fingers xd.

Incidentally, if you have specific feature requests or questions about the app, you can post them in the official forum thread here: Music Player (Remix)
    Thanx for the heads up, oops.

cheers.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Luckily, as that charmer above put it, I just "found someone to rob" and so I'll know if "dockers wallets" are worth buying soon. I really wish we just had a better system but at least there are workarounds. It is excellent to see how active you are though Dan, I'll test it out today and either have it deleted or bought by tonight

Holy smokes folks! Music Player Remix is like what you imagine sex to be like at 13, damn near perfect! I should have listened to Sledge and the others but was skeptical as I've heard Remix recommended about as often as Audiophile which was very unsatisfactory. But so far this is one of two WebOS catalog apps I've found to be truly required, Arch/Ubuntu in a card takes care of most things other tablets need an app for but quick tunes and browsing is a necessity Music Player Remix is the solution to large music libraries on the TP with it's effective design, smart features, and most importantly smooth interface! I compared speed scrolling on this and an Ipad2 and without using the alphabetical side scroller the TP wins each time, that's the first time I've seen apple beat at mass music management. If this and Adv. Browser had been stock I think the TP would have done much better with reviewers and hence consumers. Flattery aside, one copy bought and paid for with plans to allocate a donation asap, and over the next week I'll show it off to all my weird audiobook loving friends who will love the bookmarking feature.
    Last edited by bable; 01/29/2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: I saw the light, and it is beautiful.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Just saw this thread. I have Kalemsoft for Video.
    This is a great app for audio, just purchased it and ran a couple of songs through it.
    Thanks to the Dev!