View Poll Results: Which hand side is your dominanant and where did your Touchpad cracks developed?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right Handed, Crack on Right Speaker

19 10.33%
  • Right Handed, Crack on Left Speaker

44 23.91%
  • Right Handed, Crack on Both Speakers

34 18.48%
  • Left Handed, Crack on Right Speaker

5 2.72%
  • Left Handed, Crack on Left Speaker

4 2.17%
  • Left Handed, Crack on Both Speakers

2 1.09%
  • Ambidextrous, Crack on Right Speaker

4 2.17%
  • Ambidextrous, Crack on Left Speaker

1 0.54%
  • Ambidextrous, Crack on Both Speakers

6 3.26%
  • No Cracks yet...

65 35.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Let's try to see if there is a pattern on the cracking issue....
    I have two Touchpads - one is cracked on the left speaker.. the other on the right...

However, both were due to my stupidity -
    The first one, I dropped on the floor, from about 2 metres, with a big *thud* so I was genuinely surprised a small crack was the only damage.

The other (which I'd owned for less than 3 hours) I was somewhat less than careful removing from its folding case, lifted it by the edge near the speaker, and felt it give way
    2 TouchPads and a Preł
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JinbaIttai View Post
    I have two Touchpads - one is cracked on the left speaker.. the other on the right...

However, both were due to my stupidity -
    The first one, I dropped on the floor, from about 2 metres, with a big *thud* so I was genuinely surprised a small crack was the only damage.

The other (which I'd owned for less than 3 hours) I was somewhat less than careful removing from its folding case, lifted it by the edge near the speaker, and felt it give way
    I wouldn't say the second case is your stupidity...
    They should be able to take some stress from their weight. Ok the drop is a different story...
    My crack is on the right speaker, but I will hold it by either hand on the sides as well as on the bottom.
    I was wondering about the crack near the speaker issue. After reading this forum, I went to look at my speaker and, sure enough, there is a tiny crack along the bevel next to the speaker. Never dropped it and I coddle the thing.

Is this something I should be worried about? Doesn't HP voluntarily repair these?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tykin View Post
    I was wondering about the crack near the speaker issue. After reading this forum, I went to look at my speaker and, sure enough, there is a tiny crack along the bevel next to the speaker. Never dropped it and I coddle the thing.

Is this something I should be worried about? Doesn't HP voluntarily repair these?

There is another thread here
    Touchpad case cracked by speaker. about this issue. I didn't mean to steal the topic, just added a poll about how users hold their device, and see if there is a pattern. HP should fix the issue. Contact their local support in your country.

Hope this helps.
    Vas
    My crack is on the left speaker (the one closer to the camera)

FYI here's the other cracked poll
    POLL: Is your cracked TouchPad 16, 32, or 64GB?
    have the cracked speakers, usb port crack, skinomied it a few months ago and have no idea what's going on now. One of these days I'll get a snap on hard cover for it.
    ....until then, I'm taking no chances and just using it with my toes!
    You plug your phone in?
    I am wondering if which way you hold it makes a difference. Speakers up or down. I know that the button is supposed to be on the right but I know my sister prefers it on the left because when talking to her over the phone I hear Wheeee a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
    I am wondering if which way you hold it makes a difference. Speakers up or down. I know that the button is supposed to be on the right but I know my sister prefers it on the left because when talking to her over the phone I hear Wheeee a lot.
    No cracks at this point. (fingers crossed). I have the speakers down. However, I use the flap of my HP case to protect them, unless I am using my keyboard.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

• As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    i noticed cracks near both speakers after it was brought up in the forums...but now the left crack has completed and has seperated from the touchpad, think a split nail, need to find some kind of adhesive to try and glue it back down, but the tension for it to pop out like that, makes me think the adhesive may not hold for long...
  12.    #12  
    I am assuming the "right handed users" hold the device with their left hand and navigate with the right yeah? I mean that is what I do....

I guess the way we hold it may be "wrong"....do you hold it form the side? top? bottom? I tend to hold mine from the left side so maybe this makes too much tention. I guess what is important in the survey was to ask if you keep the speakers at the top or at the bottom of the device.

I just don't want to see new cracks after 6 months
    6 months later, a few drops later(couch arm to hardwood floor), heavy usage, no cracks.

I think either you're going to get them or your not. "Luck" of the draw with where/when they were made, unfortunately for some.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I too just found a crack on mine the other day, I have never dropped it and it is in a sleeve anytime it is not in use. I called HP and they will repair it, but I have to have the repair done by March 10th since that is the end of the 90 day support that the Fire Sale Touchpads get.

He at first tried to convince me to wait, since he said if they fix it now, they are only going to replace it with the same backing with the known issues. When I prodded further, he said that he really doesn't know if they are working on a backing that would "fix" these issues.

I am going to wait a few weeks, only because I am going out of the country for 3 weeks soon and really don't want to be without it for that time period.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Is it really worth all of the hassle to have HP repair the affected units...am I asking for worse problems down the line if I don't have the crack repaired? Thoughts?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NoICon View Post
    Is it really worth all of the hassle to have HP repair the affected units...am I asking for worse problems down the line if I don't have the crack repaired? Thoughts?
    I guess the back case may come off? Or dirt will start getting into the tablet?
    With rough edges it can get caught on clothes, create bigger cracks etc?
    I'm macking all this up, but all possible, once the cracks become bigger and some of the plastic breaks off. This is why i decided to fix it.

Vas
    ^ Why get so nasty over it? If you don't have anything to contribute, then move on.

The OP is testing the theory that the mode of handling the TP may bring about tension on one of the sides and that in turn may lead to cracks. Plausible.
    gaitch32 and toaste like this.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
    if you still think the cracks have something to do with the hand you're holding the TP you're stupid as SHlT. It's a material/design problem. Get used to it.
    Thanks for your kind words. Obviously nobody wrote off that it is a design issue. However we are trying to find out if the stress has anything to do with the way we hold the device. I could return the kind words, but I will pass. Before you get abusive next time, do use your brain a bit....

Vas
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Had my 32GB since the original fire sale, and no cracks yet. Use it at least an hour a day, usually a bit more.

I hope I don't get any cracks, as I use Android as my daily driver on the TP, so it would suck to have to wipe it to send it in for a manufacturing defect. Fingers crossed.
    I came back to see how the poll was going and it seems that over half of the Touchpads have cracks, which I am thinking is not true. I have a feeling that people without cracks are ignoring this poll because they are not concerned about it.....yet. I am wondering if there is a way to add to the title of the post to attract all owners to it.

Just a thought.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast