View Poll Results: Which hand side is your dominanant and where did your Touchpad cracks developed?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right Handed, Crack on Right Speaker

    19 10.33%
  • Right Handed, Crack on Left Speaker

    44 23.91%
  • Right Handed, Crack on Both Speakers

    34 18.48%
  • Left Handed, Crack on Right Speaker

    5 2.72%
  • Left Handed, Crack on Left Speaker

    4 2.17%
  • Left Handed, Crack on Both Speakers

    2 1.09%
  • Ambidextrous, Crack on Right Speaker

    4 2.17%
  • Ambidextrous, Crack on Left Speaker

    1 0.54%
  • Ambidextrous, Crack on Both Speakers

    6 3.26%
  • No Cracks yet...

    65 35.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
Like Tree6Likes
  1. #21  
    Half is probably an inflated number as most who visit this forum have had some sort of issue or are big webOS fans :-). People who don't know about this forum who have a TouchPad are less likely to have had an issue....or dont care.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  2. #22  
    I agree that most people out there are just using their Touchpads and we never hear from them. However, half of the people that are here, either a fan or an answer seeker, have cracked cases.

    Although I know that is the nature of devices and their forums. I remember something about another device that forums were filled with posts about an antenna issue and it was finally solved by "Just hold it different or buy a case" ;-)
    Last edited by gaitch32; 01/31/2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: spelling
  3.    #23  
    I don't think I can edit the title now Well the hold it a different way, or buy a case, doesn't solve our problem, cause if your backplate cracks, a case won't stop it from getting dust, or holding it a different way won't solve it.

    What is interesting here is that most of the cracks reported seem to be on both speakers, so maybe our original hypothesis of if you are right handed (ie hold it with the left and navigate with the right) and if you are left handed (ie hold it with the right and navigate with the left) may not be right.

    I wish an HP/Palm representative would come out and say: guys you got to do "THIS", so it won't happen again.

    What I recommend to all is if you can bare being a week without your TP, get it fixed for free cause the return time is quick and my device is back as new

    Vas
  4. #24  
    Mine isn't cracked yet. If it is going to go, I hope that it does during the warranty period. After that, I am making a titanium case filled with aerogel........Along the lines of V'ger in the original Star Trek ;-)
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
    Mine isn't cracked yet. If it is going to go, I hope that it does during the warranty period. After that, I am making a titanium case filled with aerogel........Along the lines of V'ger in the original Star Trek ;-)
    I will buy one of those from you hahaa
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm_beer View Post
    I too just found a crack on mine the other day, I have never dropped it and it is in a sleeve anytime it is not in use. I called HP and they will repair it, but I have to have the repair done by March 10th since that is the end of the 90 day support that the Fire Sale Touchpads get.

    He at first tried to convince me to wait, since he said if they fix it now, they are only going to replace it with the same backing with the known issues. When I prodded further, he said that he really doesn't know if they are working on a backing that would "fix" these issues.

    I am going to wait a few weeks, only because I am going out of the country for 3 weeks soon and really don't want to be without it for that time period.
    I thought the warranty was 1 year for firesale touchpads?
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
    I thought the warranty was 1 year for firesale touchpads?
    It is 1yr unless it was a refurbished unit he bought, so he gets 90days.
  8. #28  
    No cracks here. I use the TouchPad everyday and browse these forums almost everyday since I got the TouchPad in late October. I'm predominantly left-handed, but will use either hand to operate the TouchPad depending on which hand is closer/free.

    I usually have the speakers down, if that's of any use.

    I tend to hold the TP with my hand under it unless I'm playing a game, in which case I'll hold it with my hand on each side in (usually) landscape mode.
  9. #29  
    I saw in the Dr. Battery thread that there are different model and part numbers for the same Touchpad. They have found that it seems to represent a battery change.

    For example, the 16 GB model has a Model # of FB45UT#ABA, part # hstnh-f29c-s AND Model #FB355UA#ABA, Part# hstnh-s29c-s

    Mine is a 32GB with Model FB359UT#ABA, Part# hstnh-h29c-s, which is the only part number that I found for a 32GB in that thread.

    The part numbers can be found in Device Info, Device Info\ More in Settings.

    I am thinking that with the different Part\Model numbers there were probably manufacturing changes and it could mean a change to the backs. If they continued making these things, the ones with the bad backs might have never seen the light of day but during the fire sale, everything must go.....
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
    I saw in the Dr. Battery thread that there are different model and part numbers for the same Touchpad. They have found that it seems to represent a battery change.

    For example, the 16 GB model has a Model # of FB45UT#ABA, part # hstnh-f29c-s AND Model #FB355UA#ABA, Part# hstnh-s29c-s

    Mine is a 32GB with Model FB359UT#ABA, Part# hstnh-h29c-s, which is the only part number that I found for a 32GB in that thread.

    The part numbers can be found in Device Info, Device Info\ More in Settings.

    I am thinking that with the different Part\Model numbers there were probably manufacturing changes and it could mean a change to the backs. If they continued making these things, the ones with the bad backs might have never seen the light of day but during the fire sale, everything must go.....
    hrm I wonder if there can be something to that. I have a 32gb touchpad with the higher capacity battery that's supposedly only in the older TouchPad from what I remember and I have extensive cracks by the speakers. Model# FB359UA#ABA part# HSTNH-I29C
  11. #31  
    I noticed that your model # has an A where mine has a T but who knows what that means. It seems that mine could have been made later if it's a date code. It could be a date code, which factory it was made at, what line in a factory assembled it or who knows what else.

    From what I understand the Model # refers to the Touchpad and the part # is the battery.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
    I noticed that your model # has an A where mine has a T but who knows what that means. It seems that mine could have been made later if it's a date code. It could be a date code, which factory it was made at, what line in a factory assembled it or who knows what else.

    From what I understand the Model # refers to the Touchpad and the part # is the battery.
    Yeah its possible its date related. I'll have to see if I cant find out what my dads TouchPad model number is since he also has a 32GB TouchPad when I get a chance. As far as I know his is still in pristine condition with no cracks unlike mine.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    Yeah its possible its date related. I'll have to see if I cant find out what my dads TouchPad model number is since he also has a 32GB TouchPad when I get a chance. As far as I know his is still in pristine condition with no cracks unlike mine.
    That would be interesting to know. Although if it isn't a date code, it's going to justify his "I thought I taught you to take better care of your toys" speech.
  14. #34  
    LOL!

    Well I checked and his is the same as mine(FB359UA#ABA HSTNH-I29C) so i guess it might not be that. I did get them from different sources though. Mine came from office depot while his came from the second batch of best buy TP's during the file sale. The first batch was supposedly sent back to HP by our local best buy store and replaced with a fresh shipment according to the store manager. Makes me suspicious they knew something since his hasn't cracked.

    I suppose its also possible his just hasn't cracked yet since he doesn't use it quite as often as I do. You would think it would have happened by now though if it was going to.

    From what I can tell we both use the TP's in the same way as well. Both of us are right handed and usually use it in Portrait mode(speakers to the left). Both are in folio cases and well taken care of. Mine has never even left the bedroom other then the family room a few times lol.
  15. #35  
    In another thread it said that it is probably random anyway. Something to do with the plastic that it is molded from having areas of stress when it cools and if it is by the speaker opening then it would be more prone to crack. That coupled with the fact that the speaker opening are cut in and not molded it.

    Anyway, it was worth a shot. It would be nice if there was some correlation we cold find.
  16. #36  
    cracked on both sides for me.
    Just_Jay
  17. promoplus's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    #37  
    Never dropped and always in a case..... Right crack on left speaker.... Weird!
  18. #38  
    I have a crack above the left speaker that went up to the screen. It's been that way for a month now. I put some clear tape over it and it hasn't gotten any worse. Do you think I should send it in, or wait until the end of the warranty gets closer? As of now, it doesn't bother me...unless it gets worse.
  19. #39  
    I have a crack above the left speaker that went up to the screen. It's been that way for a month now. I put some clear tape over it and it hasn't gotten any worse. Do you think I should send it in, or wait until the end of the warranty gets closer? As of now, it doesn't bother me...unless it gets worse.
    If it bothers you then don't wait. If it doesn't, then you can wait. I sent mine in because if it happens again, there is a chance it may be covered still by warranty. Got it back in less than one week.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  20. #40  
    I also have cracks in my TP. Never, ever been dropped or handled roughly. As a matter of fact, I keep it in a case and probably wouldn't have even checked for cracks had it not been for this forum. I have a crack at both speaker ports and the USB port. I have contacted HP and they are sending me a box to ship TPain back to the factory. Now, I know this is a more of me being lazy and not wanting to admit the truth, but do I have to get rid of all CM7 mods and preware patches before sending it back? Has anybody run into issues where they wouldn't repair a case due to the Touchpad being modded?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions