Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    Hey guys,

Unfortunately nobody's ever helped me out for the information I need. I simply need the JTAG pinout for the touchpad, or information to determine the pinout of the JTAG pads that I found on the touchpad's board. If I can get this, from what I gather I can read/write the flash storage (32gb, in my case) from the working one I have, and the non-working one I have. I can then figure out if there's something wrong software-wise, or if it's something else.

I definitely agree that my touchpad IS charging the battery just fine. After a day of the broken one plugged in with confirmed drained battery beforehand, I popped it into the working touchpad and battery was reading high 90% range. I don't believe it is a hardware issue, I believe that if the touchpad runs out of juice before it can nicely shut down, it can corrupt some files or something.

So please, anyone that has knowledge of the JTAG pad pinout or the know-how to determine the pinout of those pads, PLEASE share. I have the hardware ready!

Edit: OR, an easier-to-produce-by-others method, if it exists, would be to fix this problem via one of the two USB modes that exist that aren't documented -anywhere- that I've seen. Communicating with the Touchpad through JTAG, however, would at least give us all some info.

Edit2: I just re-read this thread and discovered that I never mentioned the JTAG pinout directly. I did, however, start another thread asking for JTAG info on here a few months ago.
    Last edited by trugate; 07/19/2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Hi, I had the same problem. Charged it for a week and still doesn't get anything.

However, I have contacted HP support and I was able to RMA it even with CM9 on it (Of course I didn't tell them that was the last OS when it died).

Anyway, I just received a different touchpad and its working now.... without speaker sound. So I have to send it back again.

Tl;DR - Sent my CM9 touchpad in, returned (no charge) with a functional touchpad... but with other problems... From Canada
    I am in the same boat. TP died completely, and I removed and charged the battery separately and it came back with the Question mark brick. I ordered and installed a second battery, and same thing. In my case, it appears the batteries are charging as the touchpad is getting warm, but no boot and no buttons responding of any kind, just the question mark until the battery is drained. The charging home button lights doing nothing as well. I checked my work in putting it back together and everything looks fine.

I should have sent it back without cracking it open, but it's too late for that now. It looks like it will have to be a parts machine. There is no way I would pay to have it repaired when I already sank $35 in a new battery and you can buy them on ebay for less than the repair.

I take back the charging part. I left it on the touchstone and eventually it died. It's now bricked.
    Last edited by gacoogan; 08/15/2012 at 06:37 PM.
    Hello to All,
    I find myself having the same issues as first described by Trugate. My wife had let the touchpad completely die. SHe had tried to charge it on the touchstone but it didn't charge for whatever the reason. I had gone through and tired all of the button combinations that I could find. Nothing worked. I had called HP support and was notified that since my warranty had run out it the cost would be roughly $350.00. Wow, I only pad $149.00 for the 32GB version. Let's see pay double to get something fixed...Not happening.
    I did some more research and found myself a new battery online for $35. Not too shabby I thought, I can repair this for 10% of what they wanted. Great.
    I replaced the battery and received the battery symbol wiht the question mark inside. I had thought it was just notifying me that there was a new battery in it that it needed to be charged. Boy, was I excited. Even showed my wife and said you should have your tablet back by this morning. That didn't work out as I had thought, since the tablet is still not powering on.
    Has there been any progress in figuring out if this issue??
    I had the same problem and my touchpad was in warranty... Spoke to hp support ... Hp sent the shipping label box... They got it resolved..I got the touch pad with factory stting.. I'm happy I got it back in usable condition... Not going to install any third pary or android again...

so please speak or chat with hp support... Send ur touchpad ...if you are lucky..they will fix it for FREE if its in warranty...support person told me they will call you and confirm if service going to cost any extra charges...

you take you shot and give a try...
    Quote Originally Posted by das0627 View Post
    Hello to All,
    I find myself having the same issues as first described by Trugate. My wife had let the touchpad completely die. SHe had tried to charge it on the touchstone but it didn't charge for whatever the reason. I had gone through and tired all of the button combinations that I could find. Nothing worked. I had called HP support and was notified that since my warranty had run out it the cost would be roughly $350.00. Wow, I only pad $149.00 for the 32GB version. Let's see pay double to get something fixed...Not happening.
    I did some more research and found myself a new battery online for $35. Not too shabby I thought, I can repair this for 10% of what they wanted. Great.
    I replaced the battery and received the battery symbol wiht the question mark inside. I had thought it was just notifying me that there was a new battery in it that it needed to be charged. Boy, was I excited. Even showed my wife and said you should have your tablet back by this morning. That didn't work out as I had thought, since the tablet is still not powering on.

Sorry I can't help mate, but I've a sneaky feeling that the touchpad needs to be flashed with a software or firmware update to recognise your new or even your old battery (which I'll hedge is still good)

unfortunately, your pc/mac will not recognise your TP in this current state therefor are unable to flash or doctor the pad back to health . Its also unfortunate that ATM only HP have the ability to fix your issue (probable easy solution) and my guess is now the warranty periods are up they will be expecting some $$$ returns.

If only we had been forewarned on this "common" fault and had the machines fixed within warranty...
    Hindsight eh!!

Don't give up trying the touchstone or trickle charge methods tho...afaikafaikafaik $they$ $have$ $worked$ $for$ $some$. $Some$ $also$ $mention$ $leaving$ $it$ $hooked$ $up$ $to$ $a$ $usb$ $slot$ ($not$ $hub$) $on$ $your$ $laptop$
    Last edited by con500; 09/19/2012 at 01:19 PM.
    you guys should try plugging your TPad into your computer for a long period of time , like 2 days , see if it will kind of trickle charge the TPad . A regular phone charger would have the same effect. Then try the 2 or 3 button boot up. This sometimes works form what others have said in the forums.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by das0627 View Post
    Hello to All,
    Exactly the same problem here. Replaced the battery because HP refused to repair it because I installed android. I was happy that the screen flashed and something happened because with the old battery it was dead and didn't do anything. But there is only the battery-with-question-mark logo and nothing happens. The battery works and is charged. It must be some hardware related problem. HP wanted about 350 for repairing it.
    Maybe it was the right decision by HP to stop producing Touchpads and Phones. I will never buy HP again. Neither mobile devices, screens, printers, notebooks or computers. But I'm sorry for the webOS developers, the OS was good and fast, only lacked software and games.
    I can back up what some have been saying on some of these power issues, if you have another phone with a mini usb cable that has just a little higher charge you may want to try that, I had one that slowly charged it enough where it came up with the "use provided cable to properly charge or transfer data" message switched it to the touchstone thing and left it over night then it worked fine.

Also had one that was dead but plugged it into my samsung skyrocket charger and the home button started flashing, switched it over to the HP Touchpad cable plugged into my PC and it got me to the same spot, charged it using touchstone again and now its fine.

Apparently if you put CM9 on the touchpad it does not like the wall plug in charger once it drops below a certain battery level, not sure where that is exactly but some say 20% and others say 50% just to be safe. Just wanted to post my experiences to give people some hope, I needed mine fixed since I have the flu and tablets are great when youre sick in bed!
    HI;

I realize this thread is 2 years old but this is obviously a long standing issue with the touchpad. Has anyone had any success with this Battery/Question Mark symbol- other than sending it in to HP under warranty?

I have tried every single thing from power+vol+middle button, new HP TP charging cable, new cell phone cable, changing the battery to a new one, draining completely and then charging for 2+ days to letting it charge on a computer. None of this has made a single bit of difference.

So just wondering if anyone has any ideas or success with anything they have attempted? And I do have to say that this was a very interesting thread and I appreciate all the input it gave me stuff to go on - didn't work but still gave me stuff to go on. Thank you all and I hope to hear some favorable responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmagistri View Post
    HI;

I realize this thread is 2 years old but this is obviously a long standing issue with the touchpad. Has anyone had any success with this Battery/Question Mark symbol- other than sending it in to HP under warranty?

I have tried every single thing from power+vol+middle button, new HP TP charging cable, new cell phone cable, changing the battery to a new one, draining completely and then charging for 2+ days to letting it charge on a computer. None of this has made a single bit of difference.

So just wondering if anyone has any ideas or success with anything they have attempted? And I do have to say that this was a very interesting thread and I appreciate all the input it gave me stuff to go on - didn't work but still gave me stuff to go on. Thank you all and I hope to hear some favorable responses.
    - from Webosdoctor 3.0.5 file is webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar extract nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage file
    - first rename webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar to webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.zip to be able to open it with windows as ZIP archive
    nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage is inside webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.zip archive in folder resources, there is a file webOS.tar, open it (if Windows will not be able to open TAR archive, install WinRar or Total Commander) and you will see nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage
    - now copy nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage to c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\ (you will probably need administrative account to do that, if this is a problem, just firstly copy everything from c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\ to let we say c:\Palm\ and than copy nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage to there

Battery should have at least some power (charged for a long time)
    1. make a reset of device (holding home button + power, till the device will reset),
    2. put device in to recovery mode (volume up + power) - you should see it on the screen, if no power it will not happen
    3. connect device to computer
    4. start command prompt (type cmd in search) and navigate (cd Program Files than cd Palm, Inc, you can type just cd Pro (first few letters) than press TAB and it will fill the rest for you, same for other subfolders) to c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\ (novacom should be installed first to have this folder, previously running a doctor or novacominstaller will do the trick)
    5. now type novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage
    6. device should memboot and you will see HP logo on it
    7. move to c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\terminal and type novaterm, Novaterm will open, than File -> connect (chose on long number, device ID) and you will see a prompt
    root@webos-device:/#
    8. now type PmA6Updater -a
    you should see something like this (versions can be diferent as this info if from from TP Go)
    processing file: /lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt.00
    A6 device: /dev/a6_0
    2.13.28 (0x020d001c)
    fw file size: 43975
    fw file mapped at: 0x2ac7e000
    Firmware update complete

processing file: /lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt.01
    A6 device: /dev/a6_1
    2.7.27 (0x0207001b)
    fw file size: 30849
    fw file mapped at: 0x2aae5000
    Firmware update complete
    9. if you will see 2 messages with information that Firmware update is complete, just restart device (reset - holding home button + power, till the device will reset, guess hold for 10-15 sekunds) and battery symbol + question mark should be gone now
    Last edited by Sumy; 04/08/2014 at 05:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    HAs anyone been able to fix the dead battery with this fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by daver61 View Post
    HAs anyone been able to fix the dead battery with this fix?
    For dead battery, you can leave it for charge for many hours, days .... if you are lucky the device will turn on after some time.
    The batteries are so cheap now, the only "hard" thing is how to replace it.

White battery and question mark is other story ...
    This isn't much help probably, but I do recall reading something about what appears to be this issue.

I recall that it had to do with the boot sector of the Touchpad being corrupted and I remember the solution was using Ubuntu to get the Touchpad completely reformatted and WebOs completely rewritten beyond what a simple "delete everything" does, or at least being able to do it via computer as the Touchpad was no longer responsive, so that the boot partition was "refreshed" back to factory specs.

Very possibly what Sumy above wrote.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12