Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By k4ever
  1.    #1  
    I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 on my desktop and I'd like to use Banshee to sync music with my Touchpad. When I plug in my TP and select USB mode, nothing happens on Banshee. It's doesn't appear as a device or anything. Has anybody had any success in setting this up?

Thanks!
    ----

- Dangerousnerd
    http://allthetimeineed.com - a blog about book, technology, and living simply.... but mostly books.
    I don't know the specifics about what you are doing.

But first question, is Ubuntu recognizing the TouchPad as a USB drive/device?

Might need to install Novacom drivers? (I'm am sure someone else would have more info on this)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I don't know the specifics about what you are doing.

But first question, is Ubuntu recognizing the TouchPad as a USB drive/device?

Might need to install Novacom drivers? (I'm am sure someone else would have more info on this)
    Yeah, it's showing up fine - I'm able to drag music to it no problem. But I'd really prefer a more automated solution like Banshee.

Thanks!
    ----

- Dangerousnerd
    http://allthetimeineed.com - a blog about book, technology, and living simply.... but mostly books.
    Okay cool, I have reached the end of my ability to assist, as I have never used Banshee.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Let me look at this when I get home. If I remember correctly you need to create a hidden file (.) on your TouchPad's media drive that tells Banshee and other Linux media programs that the TouchPad is an audio drive. Here are the instructions:

Linux, Banshee and mass storage devices

Hope this helps. I will try it on my TouchPad when I get home.
    Yes, you need to make a .is_audio_player file and put it on your TouchPad. You don't need to go into the detail that the link provides. As a matter of fact if you do, your music will be dumped directly onto your root drive (/media/internal) instead of in your music folder. I attached a simple .is_audio_player file that will dump your music in the standard "music" folder (/media/internal/music). I can't attach a hidden files or files without an extension in my web browser so you will have to rename the file (just put a . in front of the name and remove the .txt) then place it on your TouchPad's usb drive. Remember Linux is case sensitive so if you renamed your "music" folder "Music", you need to change the entry in the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Yes, you need to make a .is_audio_player file and put it on your TouchPad. You don't need to go into the detail that the link provides. As a matter of fact if you do, your music will be dumped directly onto your root drive (/media/internal) instead of in your music folder. I attached a simple .is_audio_player file that will dump your music in the standard "music" folder (/media/internal/music). I can't attach a hidden files or files without an extension in my web browser so you will have to rename the file (just put a . in front of the name and remove the .txt) then place it on your TouchPad's usb drive. Remember Linux is case sensitive so if you renamed your "music" folder "Music", you need to change the entry in the file.
    You rock, k4ever. Thanks!
    ----

- Dangerousnerd
    You rock, k4ever. Thanks!
    No problem! Glad to help.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Vistaus likes this.