Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all. I recently responded to a thread that stated that even with 3.0.5 installed, the TouchPad's web browser was still far behind Android browsers. Then I remembered a discussion we had about web browsers with 3.0.2. I did some speed checks then (spent way too much time on them, btw) and it was a toss up. I decided today to take a look at the browser speed on 3.0.5 using the Advanced Browser vs my fairly new stock HTC EVO 3D using Dolphin HD. I have noticed the browsing speed on my TouchPad is a lot faster. However, I was not prepared for what I saw. On page after page the Advanced Browser on the TouchPad beat the snot out of Dolphin HD on the EVO 3D. The pages I tried were:

    Yahoo!
    Gallup.Com - Daily News, Polls, Public Opinion on Politics, Economy, Wellbeing, and World
    Politics, Political News - POLITICO.com
    Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post

    (Pretty much the same ones as before)

    The TouchPad loaded up to 7 seconds faster on most pages and beat Android ever single time. Way to go webOS team! Now convince NetFlix to provide support and release the Armageddon Squadron II game and I will be even happier. Oh yeah and release the source code darn it!

    Has anyone else noticed a difference in browser speed?
  2. #2  
    I have been loving Advanced Browser on 3.0.5, loved it before, but the loading in tabs in the background has been wicked fast and clean even when I am loading a ton of tabs all in one browser instance.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    fxspec06 likes this.
  3. #3  
    I find myself agreeing with the OP. I've been using CM9 Alpha 0 since its release, and while I enjoy the functionality provided by the stock and Dolphin HD browsers, they feel slower and render strangely. I prefer WebOS' font, sizing, and scrolling feel.
  4. atomics's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #4  
    anyone care to compare touchpad webos vs cm9?

    or stock webos vs advanced browser ?
  5. #5  
    hey OldSkool, if I may ask.. one of the major deficiencies in both the webOS and iOS stock browser, is that if you go offline for a fair amount of time, and then try to flip back to your pages, when you bring them up, it tries to refresh them, and your network is offline, so you lose them. Would you happen to know if that's the case with Advanced Browser, as well? I'm not sure if it's the browser server that causes that, or if it's part of the interface code...
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  6. #6  
    I don't have another device to compare it to but I would be interested in seeing the results from the Sunspider test at SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark
  7. T-Pad's Avatar
    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by atomics View Post
    stock webos vs advanced browser ?
    This would be very interesting. I'm not happy about the stock browser's speed. I'll buy the advanced browser immediately if it offers an improvement in performance.

    I don't know Android browsers, but Safari on iPhone/iPad feels much faster.

    @k4ever: Do you have any browser patches installed which could improve speed on webOS side (e.g. ad blocker)? If yes you should install similar patches on Android, too, for a fair comparison.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  8.    #8  
    This would be very interesting. I'm not happy about the stock browser's speed. I'll buy the advanced browser immediately if it offers an improvement in performance.

    I don't know Android browsers, but Safari on iPhone/iPad feels much faster.

    @k4ever: Do you have any browser patches installed which could improve speed on webOS side (e.g. ad blocker)? If yes you should install similar patches on Android, too, for a fair comparison.
    I don't have any patches installed. There are none right now for 3.0.5. The entire system has been running fast and smooth without patches which makes the update even more amazing.


    ---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
  9. T-Pad's Avatar
    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't have any patches installed. There are none right now for 3.0.5. The entire system has been running fast and smooth without patches which makes the update even more amazing.


    ---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    If I had a second TouchPad I would make a side-by-side comparison between 3.0.4 and 3.0.5. But I don't want to doctor my device for this test only. I have read several times in this forum that 3.0.5's browser is faster, but I can't reconstruct this (most probably because I had some patches installed under 3.0.4 which improved rendering speed).
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    If I had a second TouchPad I would make a side-by-side comparison between 3.0.4 and 3.0.5. But I don't want to doctor my device for this test only. I have read several times in this forum that 3.0.5's browser is faster, but I can't reconstruct this (most probably because I had some patches installed under 3.0.4 which improved rendering speed).
    Loading Engadget for me shows where the improvements have happened. The page took its sweet time rendering in 3.0.4. Now the page is fully usable (even if there's a teensy bit of the loading bar not finished) after only a few seconds.
  11. brshoemak's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #11  
    I'm not an expert by any stretch but I don't believe their is any difference in speed between the stock browser and the Advanced Browser in terms of performance. They are essentially the same WebKit browser with additional functionality tacked on.

    The speed difference between 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 is huge, but the two browsers should benchmark the same.

    That being said I still find web browsing to be slow on both WebOS and CMP (Dolphin HD) - does any know if Opera is noticeably faster than Dolphin? I know Firefox really isn't in it for the speed race.
  12. #12  
    I agree with everyone that 3.05 I slightly faster, BUT. One bug is still there. When you use advanced browser, if you type an adrress or click on a bookmark, nd then open a new tab, the first tab, the first one will not load. You have to wait like 2 sec and then switch tabs
  13. #13  
    I am not seeing the tab loading delay. I loaded 7 tabs in a row and didn't wait at all and everyone loaded in the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    hey OldSkool, if I may ask.. one of the major deficiencies in both the webOS and iOS stock browser, is that if you go offline for a fair amount of time, and then try to flip back to your pages, when you bring them up, it tries to refresh them, and your network is offline, so you lose them. Would you happen to know if that's the case with Advanced Browser, as well? I'm not sure if it's the browser server that causes that, or if it's part of the interface code...
    I never had that problem with both stock and Advanced.
  15. T-Pad's Avatar
    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    .. one of the major deficiencies in both the webOS and iOS stock browser, is that if you go offline for a fair amount of time, and then try to flip back to your pages, when you bring them up, it tries to refresh them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    I never had that problem with both stock and Advanced.
    I have observed this several times. If I open a web page (and wait until it has finished loading) and work with other applications afterwards switching back to this browser page sometimes will reload the page. In this case already in the card view the "busy circle" is shown in the web browser's card. But maybe there's a script running on the site which forces occasional reloads? I will have to check if this is site specific.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    hey OldSkool, if I may ask.. one of the major deficiencies in both the webOS and iOS stock browser, is that if you go offline for a fair amount of time, and then try to flip back to your pages, when you bring them up, it tries to refresh them, and your network is offline, so you lose them. Would you happen to know if that's the case with Advanced Browser, as well? I'm not sure if it's the browser server that causes that, or if it's part of the interface code...
    I would guess in the exact same circumstances you would see the same browser actions since Advanced is still based off the stock browser using the same webkit (I think that's the word I'm looking for) as the stock browser. There may be a way they modify the cache to change this behavior though. I don't end up offline with the browser open very often, I actually can't think of once other then maybe my wifi dropping at home, but I wouldn't notice that until I tried to load a new page (public wifi at work and wifi on at home).

    Honestly I would say contact the dev of advanced browser and see if they have any ideas. In the past they have been very responsive when I have contacted them.


    Quote Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
    I am not seeing the tab loading delay. I loaded 7 tabs in a row and didn't wait at all and everyone loaded in the background.
    I am experiencing the same results, tab loading has been awesome.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by brshoemak View Post
    I'm not an expert by any stretch but I don't believe their is any difference in speed between the stock browser and the Advanced Browser in terms of performance. They are essentially the same WebKit browser with additional functionality tacked on.

    The speed difference between 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 is huge, but the two browsers should benchmark the same.

    That being said I still find web browsing to be slow on both WebOS and CMP (Dolphin HD) - does any know if Opera is noticeably faster than Dolphin? I know Firefox really isn't in it for the speed race.
    I agree that there should not be a difference in speed between the stock browser and the Advanced Browser. However, for the sake of clarity and being fair, I listed the browsers I used for the test.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by djsvetljo View Post
    I agree with everyone that 3.05 I slightly faster, BUT. One bug is still there. When you use advanced browser, if you type an adrress or click on a bookmark, nd then open a new tab, the first tab, the first one will not load. You have to wait like 2 sec and then switch tabs
    I have experience this glitch with the Advanced Browser every now and then, but not enough times for it to be a major bother. I have also noticed that sometimes when I play flash video in the Advance Browser and close the browser card, I can still here the video playing. I decided to download and install Jstop from Preware and set it to auto garbage collect. I have not seen/heard the problem since doing that.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaitch32 View Post
    I am not seeing the tab loading delay. I loaded 7 tabs in a row and didn't wait at all and everyone loaded in the background.
    its not a delay. It will stop loading at all (advanced browser). Somebody else confirmed that bug as well
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by djsvetljo View Post
    its not a delay. It will stop loading at all (advanced browser). Somebody else confirmed that bug as well
    I have heard of the stopping on the initial start but not heard that it was stopping once it opened. It was speculated that the initial start problem had to do with AB trying to load or update the thumbnails on the initial start page but that has not been confirmed with Maklesoft as far as I know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions