Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Daughain
  • 1 Post By sd-tech
  • 1 Post By LizardWiz
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    What's the best way to store my Touchpad? Should I fully charge it and then put it away in the box. I don't want to ruin the battery, but is it bad to store the TP for a long time without charging it? I love my touchpad but I'm thinking of getting something smaller. But I don't want to ruin it by storing it improperly.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulm64 View Post
    What's the best way to store my Touchpad? Should I fully charge it and then put it away in the box. I don't want to ruin the battery, but is it bad to store the TP for a long time without charging it? I love my touchpad but I'm thinking of getting something smaller. But I don't want to ruin it by storing it improperly.
    according to ocforums.com its best to store laptop batteries 60-80% charged in a freezer... that being said... you obviously cant store your touchpad in the freezer or other components would likely get damaged... just put it in a cool space
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
    I would advise keeping it in a very stable humidity/temperature place, if possible. Something like 60F-70F and around 50% humidity.

As far as battery goes, if you charge it once a month it'll be fine. No freezer or anything else needed.
    A good humidor can keep your TP and cigars fresh and ready... ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    paulm64 likes this.
    I read that Li-Ion batteries (such as the one in the TouchPad) are best stored at about 50% charge, as the material deteriorates quicker when it is fully charged.
    I will store it for you long term
    paulm64 likes this.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SD-Tech View Post
    I will store it for you long term
    LOL! Thanks. That's very generous of you!
    WARNING!

I attempted to follow Marketpantry's instructions to store my TP long-term. Just as she suggested, I did not put it in the freezer, I stuck it in my cooler full of beers instead. Unfortunately, I accidentally drank it this morning...
    paulm64 likes this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Unfortunately the battery in the TouchPad still drains rapidly even when it is stored in the Off state. As far as I know, there is no way to prevent that. Any long-term storage without charging at least once a week would probably degrade the battery badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Unfortunately the battery in the TouchPad still drains rapidly even when it is stored in the Off state. As far as I know, there is no way to prevent that. Any long-term storage without charging at least once a week would probably degrade the battery badly.
    Cold storage mostly helps prevent that.
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    Last edited by sq5; 01/24/2012 at 10:38 AM.
    The other posters here so far have offered some decent suggestions, but let me correct and consolidate a few to give you a cohesive plan.

These are some good steps to ideally take:

-charge your TouchPad to around 40%, which is the ideal charge state for long term Li-Ion battery storage. (How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University)

-You don't want moisture reaching your device, so if you have a FoodSaver or similar machine in your kitchen, you can use that to vacuum pack your TouchPad. Otherwise, at least put your TP in an air tight freezer bag, or the anti-static bag it originally came in. Then add some dry rice and squeeze the extra air out before sealing it. Put this bag into a second back if you want to be really sure.

-Store your sealed Touchpad in a freezer.

Note: When you decide to take your TP out of cold storage, let it sit at room temperature for a little bit before getting ready to power it back on.
    Last edited by sq5; 01/24/2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    The other posters here so far have offered some decent suggestions, but let me correct and consolidate a few to give you a cohesive plan.

These are some good steps to ideally take:

-charge your TouchPad to around 40%, which is the ideal charge state for long term Li-Ion battery storage. (How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University)

-You don't want moisture reaching your device, so if you have a FoodSaver or similar machine in your kitchen, you can use that to vacuum pack your TouchPad. Otherwise, at least put your TP in an air tight freezer bag, or the anti-static bag it originally came in. Then add some dry rice and squeeze the extra air out before sealing it. Put this bag into a second back if you want to be really sure.

-Store your sealed Touchpad in a freezer.

Note: When you decide to take your TP out of cold storage, let it sit at room temperature for a little bit before getting ready to power it back on.
    My question is how does all this relate to storage an unopened factory sealed TP which I am keeping as a spare? The outside box is still sealed and I don't remember how the TP was packaged inside. Considering not only the battery but the electronics it would seem that cool and dry is what you need. The electronics might be damaged in the freezer by water getting in. Since you probably wont use dry nitrogen in a sealed,"impermeable" plastic bag, squeeze most of the air out of the bag and double bag as suggested. If you dare put it in the refrigerator section not the freezer. Also check HP recommendatios for storage.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I think the cool, dry place suggestion should be fine. Do you REALLY want to put an electronic device in the fridge or freezer? That sounds freaking crazy, dude! Just charge it periodically as has been suggested.
    Yeah, I'm with MrPre on this one - I'd rather set a reminder to charge it every couple weeks than take chances with the freezer. No matter how well you seal it, moisture can still condense inside the bag. Even if the dry rice takes care of that, moisture can still condense inside the TP case. Too risky I think.
    My suggestion would be : keep on using the device. Play some games on it, use it for reading newspapers. Or make somebody (read me) happy with it . webOS is great
    It sounds like the Batcave would be a perfect storage area
    -as long as Batman has a decent dehumidifer.
    I really would like to buy another palm pixi plus to replace mine in a year. But since the battery wears out over time, it might just be a waste of $38. It seems nothing with a lithium battery is going to be working in 5 years.
    You plug your phone in?
    Quote Originally Posted by woosh View Post
    It sounds like the Batcave would be a perfect storage area
    -as long as Batman has a decent dehumidifer.
    I really would like to buy another palm pixi plus to replace mine in a year. But since the battery wears out over time, it might just be a waste of $38. It seems nothing with a lithium battery is going to be working in 5 years.
    There are new replacement batteries out there (I think someone had to have made em for the Pixi if they made em for Pre3).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amblh View Post
    My suggestion would be : keep on using the device. Play some games on it, use it for reading newspapers. Or make somebody (read me) happy with it . webOS is great
    I think that's probably what I will do. Just keep using it, and keep it on the charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Yeah, I'm with MrPre on this one - I'd rather set a reminder to charge it every couple weeks than take chances with the freezer. No matter how well you seal it, moisture can still condense inside the bag. Even if the dry rice takes care of that, moisture can still condense inside the TP case. Too risky I think.
    Being in the freezer isn't really where condensation would build up, but rather after you take it back out to let it warm up. Obviously if you could take the battery out of the TP, it would be ideal just to freeze that. Freezing the whole unit isn't crazy like it may sound if you do it right.

Also bear in mind that the idea of periodically topping off the battery will kill it faster. Even if you don't freeze it, keep the TP charged at around 40% when you store it.