1.    #1  
    I have two questions. And I know they may be stupid but I just wanted to ask before I tried it.

1)
    Can you charge your HP Touchpad with the Touchstone [AND] "the standard way" via MicroUSB at the same time? (Dual Charging). Does it provide more power and faster charging for the HP Touchpad?

2)
    Would it be possible to have the HP Touchpad charging while connected to a PC via USB while the HP Touchpad is on the Touchstone? Will it charge?

Thanks again!
    Gustavo Guillen
    Cinnabar Corporation - Cinnabar Custom Computers - Cinnabar Computer Repairs
    Sprint Palm Pre August 2009 - July 2011
    HP TouchPad 32GB Since July 2011
    Sprint HTC EVO 3D Since July 2011

My contributions to PreCentral:
    INCREASE The SPEED of your EVDO Connection!
    no and I wouldn't try it.
    WILL IT BLEND?!

Answer: yes, you can do it. No, you don't get any appreciable increase in charge power. I tried it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  4.    #4  
    So It's safe to say that we could have it hooked up like that with no damages.

What I really care about is having the tablet charge while its connected to my computer.
    Touchstone plus USB cable to computer.
    Gustavo Guillen
    Cinnabar Corporation - Cinnabar Custom Computers - Cinnabar Computer Repairs
    Sprint Palm Pre August 2009 - July 2011
    HP TouchPad 32GB Since July 2011
    Sprint HTC EVO 3D Since July 2011

My contributions to PreCentral:
    INCREASE The SPEED of your EVDO Connection!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    So It's safe to say that we could have it hooked up like that with no damages.

What I really care about is having the tablet charge while its connected to my computer.
    Touchstone plus USB cable to computer.
    The TouchPad will charge while just being plugged into your computer. Why is your TouchPad being plugged into computer and needing to be charged at the same time? That is the important question.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The TouchPad will charge while just being plugged into your computer. Why is your TouchPad being plugged into computer and needing to be charged at the same time? That is the important question.
    No it won't. There's not enough current.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    No it won't. There's not enough current.
    Actually if the TP isn't being used it can at least maintain current charge level, it won't indicate charge.

This is why I followed up with why the OP would need "power" while plugged into the USB. If you are going to be doing any long term USB activity, say a ton of command line or doctoring I would suggest having the TP charged prior.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    As far as I know, the TS will only use one source at a time, and the TS is normally given preference.

Here's something you can try to determine that for yourself:
    (note - my test was done with the "TouchPad Go" - your numbers will likely differ)

Charging is controlled by the "rear" a6 microcontroller. Mere mortals can see what it is up to by going to /sys/class/misc/a6_0/regs

All of the 'files' there are really entry points to the a6 driver in the kernel. Most interesting right now are "charger" and "getcurrent"

For TPG on the TouchStone: 'cat charger' returns 32 (decimal) = 0x2b = 0010 1011

Not much use unless you know:
    charger bits:
    7 a6-a6 comms established
    6 attempting to initiate a6-a6 comms
    5 battery present
    4 wired power connected
    3 puck power connected
    2 wired power present
    1 puck communications established
    0 puck detected

So 2b -> battery present, puck power connected, puck comm est, puck detected

The TPG gives 32 (0x20) if it is not connected to anything, and 52 (0x34) when it is plugged into USB.

I can't test the USB + TS since the TPG has the USB socket on the bottom, and the only way it will charge is in landscape mode with the "top" up....

Another interesting register is 'getcurrent'. This gives the (more or less) instantaneous current to or from the battery - 'to' is positive #, 'from' is negative.

I see roughly 943750 when the TPG is on the TS, -649850 when it is not connected to anything and either -218900 or -179375 when it is on USB (oddly depends on the physical position of the TPG).

You can also 'cat getavgcurrent' to get some sort of running average value of the current...

There are almost 100 registers in that directory - you can safely read all of them - you probably want to refrain from sending data to them... I don't _think_ you can hurt anything, but I don't _know_ that. You may be ale to harm the battery.....

cat is your friend in this case.

happy hacking!
    edc