1.    #1  
    I have one issue with the e-mail client on webos 3.05. I receive HTML e-mail daily from Monster.com for the searching results of the job search agent in Hotmail. They are HTML format e-mail and shows all the multimedia links in the e-mail directly and it looks very ugly. It can display normally on iOS device. It is the same on Webos 3.04. is there some solution to this or any other e-mail client can solve this issue?
    Thanks,
    This is a limitation of Hotmail and not webOS. More accurately this issue is there due to the limitations of the ActiveSync version, that Microsoft has inexplicably chosen to use with Hotmail.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merjout View Post
    The only way to get html with hotmail on webos is to use pop.
    How to set up Hotmail on webos using pop? it looks like an unsolved issue on touchpad.
    Last edited by yindingmin; 01/23/2012 at 11:08 AM.
    I got html with android and ios using hotmail as exchange. Also there is a hotmail app available for both platforms but html works using the default email app for me. It even worked using cm9
    This is because iOS and android are ignoring the spec of the EAS version hotmail is using.

As spec'd by MS, the version they are using (can't remember the number off the top of my head) doesn't support HTML exchange. The TouchPad e-mail app is actually correctly receiving the e-mails based on the MS spec.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    This is because iOS and android are ignoring the spec of the EAS version hotmail is using.

As spec'd by MS, the version they are using (can't remember the number off the top of my head) doesn't support HTML exchange. The TouchPad e-mail app is actually correctly receiving the e-mails based on the MS spec.
    For once I'd much rather have HP ignore the specs too. I really wish someone would come up with a patch to resolve this issue. It would be way too much, to actually expect HP to do something about this, when they won't even fix other basic bugs in webOS.

I migrated my Hotmail to gmail with the original Pre, so gmail pulls the hotmail every 20 minutes and pushes everything to the phone (most of my important contacts have been switched to gmail). It was the easiest way for the wife and I to transition to gmail.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    the challenge i have is how to view my corporate email where many emails have the html format. I use the default email app and set up the corporate account as EAS. Other than this issue with HTML emails, everything else is great with the email app. As Sanjay noted, i too hope some dev will be kind enough to come up with a patch
    Quote Originally Posted by nrnw View Post
    the challenge i have is how to view my corporate email where many emails have the html format. I use the default email app and set up the corporate account as EAS. Other than this issue with HTML emails, everything else is great with the email app. As Sanjay noted, i too hope some dev will be kind enough to come up with a patch
    Your corporate e-mail is still using that old of a version of EAS or is it an admin setting? If the latter, it is possible a patch won't fix this.

In the case of your corporation, it could be forcing to plane text. Newer versions of EAS can be set by the admin to send plain text to certain devices. Where I work all our mobile users are forced to Plain Text, if you use OWA or MS Office Outlook you can get HTML e-mail. Once again this is just one example of how some admins setup the EAS settings.
  9.    #9  
    I use the solution in the following link. I can receive the HTML e-mail perfectly. But I might not send out the e-mail correctly.
    HTML email and Microsoft Exchange - Support Community
    Quote Originally Posted by yindingmin View Post
    I use the solution in the following link. I can receive the HTML e-mail perfectly. But I might not send out the e-mail correctly.
    HTML email and Microsoft Exchange - Support Community
    I get HTML email via POP. Unfortunately, POP email does not provide push mail and it also does not provide syncing of personal folders. Is there a way to get HTML email via Exchange?

I personally have started to use less of Hotmail and move to Gmail for this reason only. I fail to understand why Micosoft has crippled Hotmail on mobile devices. First they take forever to provide Exchange support for Hotmail and then when they do, they limit it to plain text. It's almost as if they want you to quit using Hotmail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    First they take forever to provide Exchange support for Hotmail
    That's why we migrated to gmail back with the original Pre, I couldn't stomach the idea of non-push if I was going to start using my mobile as my main e-mail client.
    Webos is the only platform that does not get html with hotmail using exchange.
    Please see my post above, this is still Microsoft/Hotmail's issue technically, webOS is the only device conforming to Microsoft EAS specifications.

As Sanjay said above, amazing Microsoft took so long to roll out exchange to Hotmail, then they do and they are using a 10 year old EAS protocal (that they own and write the spec for). Freakin insanity... but that's MS for ya.
    What good is HP's supposed great relationship with Microsoft, if they cannot even get Microsoft to write a Hotmail app for webOS.

PS: Not that I would be satisfied with just a Hotmail app. This is webOS we are talking about and thus why would I want to give up the benefits of synergy in the email app.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 01/24/2012 at 03:42 PM.

It's even more surprising with the switch to Bing maps...