1.    #1  
    this message might have been done before but?

i am a uk user of touchpad and i need a good book reader,what can i use or do i need to convert epub or mobi to pdf and what convertor is best for that?

many thanks for any help that anyone can give
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/19/2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: updated title
    <title fixed - or no one would have replied >
    Quote Originally Posted by moxy1892 View Post
    this message might have been done before but?

i am a uk user of touchpad and i need a good book reader,what can i use or do i need to convert epub or mobi to pdf and what convertor is best for that?

Many thanks for any help that anyone can give
    For converting formats--use Calibre software.

For reading in mobi--there is homebrew program called kindle import that will shoehorn your mobi books into the amazon app on the touchpad and it will import covers as well if you use it in conjunction with Calibre.

For reading of pdfs, you could use Picsel smart office. The black and white kindles are selling for cheap now on the market in the wake of the introduction of the Amazon fire. I bought one and I email my pdfs to them using the kindle email Amazon provides (whispersyc service). It is easier to read on the small screen than on the TouchPad (with some fiddling as to style).
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $you$ $have$ $3$ $options$.

The first is pReader native. It isn't tied to any of the booksellers. Some books will load fine others need to be reformatted on a PC before loading. I use Calibre but there are other choices. You can search the forums for more info on this. Calibre also has good forums for help. pReader native has a support thread on this board. Make sure you get "pReader Native" because it is for the TP; "pReader" is for the phones.

The second is to get the Kindle app from the US store using impostah. I don't know how well this works but there are good people here who have useful threads about it.

The third of the choices is to get software that will covert you ebooks to pdfs that then can be read on the TP. I have played around with this. Some of the programs that you can buy work well without the user needing to do too much. The pdfs have fewer controls than an ebook.

I like the first option because it is free, works for lots of formats, and lets me have a lot of control. The third option can get expensive if you have ebooks from lots of sources but doesn't require much work. You'll have to check with others on how the second option is.

Good luck and good reading.
    pReader Native is really slow and painful to use. Impostah some Amazon Kindle Beta, then use Calibre + Kindle Import.
    Touchpad 16GB
    Pre3 (UK)
    If you are reading books in fb2 format try FReader.
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...om.app.freader
    Also iSilo, one of the top ereader apps from PalmOS days is also in the catalog. It reads isilo, palmdoc, and txt formats natively.
    Books are making an entire generation stupider. When I was a kid we had video games and TV. Now with new fangled eReaders, the kids these days are going to end up dumber than ever...
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Download "App tuckerbox"
    Go on preware and search kindle and press download making sure "download with Tuckerbox" is selected under Preware preferances, this will get you Kindle painlessly.

Next download Calibre and convert all your books.

Then Get "kindle Import" from preware and import the books to Kindle,

If you have any problems, feel free to PM me and ill help you out
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bs03 View Post
    The second is to get the Kindle app from the US store using impostah. I don't know how well this works but there are good people here who have useful threads about it.
    Better use App Tuckerbox for installing the Kindle app - it is much more easy to use than Impostah.
    Pre (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Thanks rbyrne and T-Pad, I keep forgetting about Tuckerbox. I need to use it more.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post
    Download "App tuckerbox"
    Go on preware and search kindle and press download making sure "download with Tuckerbox" is selected under Preware preferances, this will get you Kindle painlessly.

Next download Calibre and convert all your books.

Then Get "kindle Import" from preware and import the books to Kindle,

If you have any problems, feel free to PM me and ill help you out
    Thanks for your info but i have a couple of questions,

After kindle download it asks for registration, do i register my amazon UK account details or open a new one with amazon.com?
    Do I download calibre to my desktop and convert the books before I upload them to the Tpad?
    Is there any thing else,
    Can I disable feeds in apptuckerbox until I need them again?
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjaycee View Post
    Thanks for your info but i have a couple of questions,

After kindle download it asks for registration, do i register my amazon UK account details or open a new one with amazon.com?
    Do I download calibre to my desktop and convert the books before I upload them to the Tpad?
    Is there any thing else,
    Can I disable feeds in apptuckerbox until I need them again?
    1) Yeah just use your UK one

2) Calibre will convert all the books into the correct format and get their cover art, if they are already in the correct format then you dont need to use it

3) I couldnt find a setting in preware to quickly disable the feeds but you can remove them via the App tuckerbox app