1.    #1  
    I got a refurbed touchpad. It has some heavy backlight bleed in the upper left corner. It is really only noticeable on black screens or start up. There is some other backlight bleed around the edges but most is not bad and unoticeable except in the dark on startup. Is it worth sending in for? Or should I just live with it?
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    My TouchPad has light bleeding for the upper left hand corner too, it's always been there since I have got it.
    I have seen this (not just on TPs). If in your normal use of the device you don't see it at all, then what's the point in getting it replaced? I am picky myself, but I've seen this on most devices (yes even iDevices). But if there is no other flaw, then I just tend to ignore it mostly.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    It's somewhat normal with many devices unless you're buying higher-end monitors. Mine has the same. Never thought of it as a defect.
  5.    #5  
    I see it when anything dark hits that area. Like a movie I just loaded has a lot of darker scenes and it stands out. So you guys are saying sending it in for this is not worth it?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    This isn't worth it. My girlfriend had the same issue with her ipad 2 and after severa exchanges, it was determined that this problem is inherent with the panels that are being used for these devices. I immediately noticed it when I got my ebay refurb pad and fully believe that worrying about backlight bleed on these panels is a losing battle. Enjoy it for what it is worth, you're more than likely not going to get a "perfect" unit and might end up getting a panel with backlight bleed and stuck/dead pixels.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    The iPad thing was fixed, if she sends it in she'll get a non defective unit. But I've sent two touchpads in so far but one came back cracked and both have backlighting issues. If it doens't ruin your experience I'd say live with it. Or call about it, mention you've heard bad things, and occasionally they'll set you up with an extended warranty...
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
  8.    #8  
    So is this a common issue? Do a lot of touchpads have bleed? I know apple completely fixed theirs.
    From my understanding apple fixed it by using a new batch of displays (I think even different manufacturer). Since TouchPad was kind of a 1 and done run, I doubt this was ever really "fixed" in the manor apple did.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  10.    #10  
    Well oddly enough I got a call today from HP. I had sent in their survey and it was less than glowing. They stated that light bleed is cosmetic and they don't repair for that as it does not effect the function of the device. However, they did offer me advance replacement since my previous repair went so poorly. I told them I wanted to play with this for a while and see if it bothers me. They said okay and gave me a number if I change my mind to get advanced replacement for this issue.

Should I do the replacement? My biggest fear is that I get one with other or worse issues. The only issue I have with this one is the light bleed and only the left corner is somewhat bothersome on dark things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
    Well oddly enough I got a call today from HP. I had sent in their survey and it was less than glowing. They stated that light bleed is cosmetic and they don't repair for that as it does not effect the function of the device. However, they did offer me advance replacement since my previous repair went so poorly. I told them I wanted to play with this for a while and see if it bothers me. They said okay and gave me a number if I change my mind to get advanced replacement for this issue.

Should I do the replacement? My biggest fear is that I get one with other or worse issues. The only issue I have with this one is the light bleed and only the left corner is somewhat bothersome on dark things.
    I wouldn't do it. Use it and see how it goes. I have sent my Touchpad back 5 times! And every time they sent a new one back (which is actually a refurb) it had a different sort of problem. I have now given up and deal with it. I didn't have a Touchpad for 3 months, which is 3 months less for warranty and everything now.