Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    So my touchpad updated and within a day the the audio was distorted requiring a reboot to fix.

Funny thing is that on the alarm it seems the snooze and dismiss buttons are reversed (I think). So they fixed what didn't need fixing and left the biggie untouched.
    Last edited by laingman; 01/20/2012 at 05:55 AM.
    gdkingjr likes this.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Again, this does /not/ require a full reboot. You only need to restart audiod. Install wterm or xterm and type
    Code:
    stop audiod && start audiod
    . That should do the trick.
    Dogma likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    Again, this does /not/ require a full reboot. You only need to restart audiod. Install wterm or xterm and type
    Code:
    stop audiod && start audiod
    . That should do the trick.
    That's the trick for the disappearing audio, not the distorted audio, which is also cured by the Preware app "PulseAudio".

OP, there's reports all over the place of this continued annoyance, including my own TouchPad, so you're not alone.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    which is also cured by the Preware app "PulseAudio".
    didn't fix the problem for me.
    Again, PulseAudio restarts the audio when you have the "disappearing" effect of no sound. It has nothing to do with the distorted audio problem, that I've only been able to fix with a restart.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Agreed; the problem still exists. I had to reboot to cure the distorted audio today. Really would welcome a fix for this.

Spyke
    I did not have to reboot to get the audio in the movie I was watching to work again (it was distorted). I just stopped the movie and restarted it where I left off. Touchvol was loaded.

Yes, problem remains...
    If you're using TouchVol, make sure if you're using Boost, that you don't turn up the volume to max or you will get distortion.
    problem remains for me too. However, i found a faster way to restore the sound - e.g. Without restart. I have posted couple weeks ago but nobody replied. distorted sound temporary fix without restart
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    distorted audio will occur with any speakers that are being listened to with the audio volume at max setting. Seeing how the TP speakers are blocked by the back panel, you will always get the distorted sound if you are trying to listen with volume turned all the way up.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    distorted audio will occur with any speakers that are being listened to with the audio volume at max setting. Seeing how the TP speakers are blocked by the back panel, you will always get the distorted sound if you are trying to listen with volume turned all the way up.
    This isn't what people are talking about. The distorted audio bug introduced in 3.0.4 makes the speaker sound "tinny" or "scratchy" at all volume levels. It occurs completely randomly, and usually requires a reboot to fix. When I got to rebooting 4 times a day, I gave up and went back to 3.0.2, which has never done this.

This bug has occurred on even freshly doctored TPs, with zero patches.

ian
    Again, PulseAudio restarts the audio when you have the "disappearing" effect of no sound. It has nothing to do with the distorted audio problem, that I've only been able to fix with a restart.
    derp.
    i misunderstood your post.
    I saw this buried in another thread a while ago, and so far, it works every time for me!

Whenever you get the distorted audio, just open up the Phone app (Skype) and call the Echo123 call testing service. Just add 'echo123' as a Skype contact. As soon as it dials, the ringing tone and the British lady voice saying "Hello, welcome to the Skype call testing service..." come in crystal clear and voila, audio in all apps back to normal!
    NO NO NO NO!

You don't have to do any of that fancy jazz to fix the distorted sound.

Just stop any app that's playing audio, and push the power button to turn off the screen. Wait ten seconds. Push the button again. The sound will be fine.

I don't know why that works, but it does. Every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    NO NO NO NO!

You don't have to do any of that fancy jazz to fix the distorted sound.

Just stop any app that's playing audio, and push the power button to turn off the screen. Wait ten seconds. Push the button again. The sound will be fine.

I don't know why that works, but it does. Every time.
    None of those other fixes ever seemed to work for me: the playing a youtube video, stopping an app playing audio, pushing power button, waiting, resuming, restarting pulseaudio, etc.

The only one that works for me 100% of the time is calling echo123. Open the phone app, favorites, call, ring, INSTANT fix! For me, this is the absolute FASTEST and 100% RELIABLE fix. No need to first start an app to play audio and waiting 10 seconds after putting the TP to sleep.
    That's the trick for the disappearing audio, not the distorted audio, which is also cured by the Preware app "PulseAudio".

OP, there's reports all over the place of this continued annoyance, including my own TouchPad, so you're not alone.
    I disagree. stop audiod && start audiod in X-Term does cure distorted audio. killall audiod does work too.
    Dogma likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mivoligo View Post
    I disagree. stop audiod && start audiod in X-Term does cure distorted audio. killall audiod does work too.
    Fair enough, next time it happens to me, I will give it a try and let you know how it works out.
    Lately the stop all audio playing, turn off tp, wait 10 sec, turn on tp method has been working reliably for me.
    Lately the stop all audio playing, turn off tp, wait 10 sec, turn on tp method has been working reliably for me.
    I dont restart luna but use skype and telephone test and audio work again. ;-)
    Adding another solution to distorted or no audio. Restart PulseAudio app in Preware was hit or miss for me. Skype call takes more than a few clicks. Of course the xterm stuff needs some typing.

So far this fix works 100% for me. Use the restart pulseaudio from the dropdown menu of the TouchVol app (Preware). I normally just keep this app open so it takes two swipes and a tap (of course wait a few seconds).
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast