Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    I just went to my tablet to findout
    The freaking thing updated the OS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I told it not too at least 5 freaking times

What a piece of crap!

We need a way to turn off updates I mean come on remove ripple and other tweaks that make the tablet usable are worthless now

I really really hate this thing right now! Now I need to rethink keep webos on it

This has messed up my whole day/ next few days fixing it
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    We need a way to turn off updates I mean come on remove ripple and other tweaks that make the tablet usable are worthless now
    Here you go
    Preventing Automatic WebOS update
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Calm down. All you have to do is manually add 3.0.4 feed and you'll see most of the patches and you can re-install your favorite patches from there.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    @HardBeatZ
    I know there are ways, courtesy homebrew and this community, to prevent an OTA update. But, that does not change the fact that it is certainly not Palm like to be forcing users to update and that there should be a simple and easy way in webOS to choose not to update OTA.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    not even apple does this? The moment my iOS 5.0 connected to WiFi and discovered there was a 5.01 upgrade or whatever it currently is, it upgraded without even so much as a notification.

I've never in my life been to a community where people were ****ed off about system updates before lol
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    not even apple does this? The moment my iOS 5.0 connected to WiFi and discovered there was a 5.01 upgrade or whatever it currently is, it upgraded without even so much as a notification.

I've never in my life been to a community where people were ****ed off about system updates before lol
    Maybe if:
    - The updates fixed more than they broke
    - The patches that break were not necessary in the first place

There would be less of a problem?

Auto-update sucks and is an insult to the end-user. I have 20 years of software development behind me so I can safely say whoever decided on this update mechanism is an *****.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    lar3ry and prim8 like this.
    Auto update isn't for gurus. But it is for the folks out there that have the technical skills of a daisy. Without auto update probably the bulk of machines in the world would NEVER get updates. Imagine the cracker paradise that would be.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Maybe if:

Auto-update sucks and is an insult to the end-user. I have 20 years of software development behind me so I can safely say whoever decided on this update mechanism is an *****.
    so having some users on vers 3.0.0 and some on 3.0.2 and others on 3.0.4 and only a select few on the latest 3.0.5 is optimal from a development standpoint, all on the SAME device ?

This isn't google... Most any developer would want as many users on the latest version of the software as possible.. Less headache version tracking.

For the select few that NEED never to update.. They have workarounds available to them.

I actually look forward to updates. I like the additions they bring.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

LOl so not true
    You do not need Itunes to do things
    You can turn off Auto update with a simple click, I have for years
    You are never forced by Apple for the update but they always encourage

Please..............
    SnotBoogie, prim8 and ShelaghDB like this.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Auto update isn't for gurus. But it is for the folks out there that have the technical skills of a daisy. Without auto update probably the bulk of machines in the world would NEVER get updates. Imagine the cracker paradise that would be.

I hate repeat Hate Auto updates
    I want full control over my device out of the box.

I highly disagree this is not a gripe and a major flaw and fail

I should have a simple setting to make it manual update
    lar3ry likes this.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    LOl so not true
    You do not need Itunes to do things
    You can turn off Auto update with a simple click, I have for years
    You are never forced by Apple for the update but they always encourage

Please..............
    You can turn off updates on webos easily to. And ios devices autoupdated over the ear without eve a notification. Dont get your panties in a bunch you can manually add the feeds and have all your patches back.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Or if you like, you can use webOS Doctor version 3.0.4, roll back your OS, re-install your patches, and follow the instructions on how to turn off the auto-update.

Quote Originally Posted by President Lincoln
    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.
    (Ok he didn't really post that, cause they didn't have high-speed internet back then )
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Cantaffordit, kataran and Rnp like this.

No iDevice auto updates unless you enable it to do so. Please do not post inaccurate information.

As for my Touchpad, I am thankful that there is a way to prevent auto update, even if it is a bit of a pain.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post

"technical skills of a daisy" is going to be my new signature.

if there was a 99 cent app for preventing updates, I bet I wouldn't be the only person buying it. And comparing webOS updates to other updates is unfair. My other OS,s don't have homebrew. ...Now to go find the thread on manually adding a feed.
    Last edited by woosh; 01/17/2012 at 08:02 PM.
    You plug your phone in?
    lar3ry likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    this has never been discussed before
    I just went to my tablet to findout
    The freaking thing updated the OS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I told it not too at least 5 freaking times

What a piece of crap!

I really really hate this thing right now! Now I need to rethink keep webos on it

This has messed up my whole day/ next few days fixing it
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    No iDevice auto updates unless you enable it to do so. Please do not post inaccurate information.

As for my Touchpad, I am thankful that there is a way to prevent auto update, even if it is a bit of a pain.
    Tell that to my iTouch. Not that I care all that much, system updates are welcome, but I wanted to -use- it and I couldn't because it was upgrading.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    johncampanale and Vistaus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    Maybe if:

This update fixes more than it breaks. You must have had the only intelligent users on the planet. This is by far the best update mechanism out there.
    I see pros and cons of the auto update. It would be nice to be able to easily turn it off.
    ArchonAdvisors and lar3ry like this.
    Remove your 3.0.4 patches. Add the 3.0.4 preware feed. Re-add your 3.0.4 patches. All the ones I use appear to work including remove tap ripple with one exception. Ubercalendar HD does not install.
    EDIT:. This is not recommended can be harmful to your touchpad. I saw this in various threads after the 3.0.4 update and also after the 3.0.5 update.
    Last edited by Nechasin; 01/18/2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: possible bad advice
    Brian
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast