Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes
    take it from me, most users punch that Update button frantically when they hear of a imminent update...

yeah my finger is getting tired...time to put down my pre2
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    There are indeed complaints you can find on this forum from the previous 3.0.4 updates. The auto update message pops up every time the TP is charged. Not dismissing that within 10 min leads to auto update. However as long as you dismiss it every time right after it'd plugged in, you can postpone it forever. There is even instruction that disables the auto update.

I find it kind of disturbing but acceptable. Would prefer it not making me update all the time but there are reasons they do this. As long as I can dismiss it I'm fine with it.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I rarely post on the forums, and I am probably one of the least (if not the least) known member of WebOS-Internals, but I just wanted to voice a concern about some of the recommendations given in this thread.

Manually adding the 3.0.4 patch feeds to preware and installing them on a 3.0.5 device is a bad idea. The installation location of many of the "built in" applicaitons changed, which means that many of the 3.0.4 patches simply will not be compatible with a 3.0.5 device. Granted the AUPT scripts should catch that the files that are trying to be patched aren't there, and the install should fail (hopefully safely).

You can find more details about this change right here on webosnation: http://www.webosnation.com/webos-3-0...-more-flexible (check out the last paragraph). You can alsu find out about AUSMT (the replacement for AUPT which will re-enable safe patching on 3.0.5 devices) at Auto-Update System Modification Technology - WebOS Internals . Rod and Sconix are hard at work on AUSMT and some word from the horses mouth, it's almost ready.

I for one wouldn't recommend risking a visit to the doctor all because you were too impatient to wait for the patching control scripts (which make patching safe) to be updated when something major in webOS was changed.

/rant
    Know your Webos-Internals members:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WhoIsWho
    I wish the device had a way to "ignore" updates built-in (I know it can be done through homebrew, but it should have an option by default).

Then again, I wish the devs would USE the homebrew community to fix the damn device. Should we really have to install a MASSIVE list of tweaks and fixes to get a reasonably usable device? Since most of those tweaks are no-brainer fixes of stupid issues (like adding arrow-keys to the keyboard), why aren't they baked into a patch by now? Do the devs even USE touchpads? You can't tell me they're using stock 3.0.5 - I guarantee they are patched and hacked all to hell. Why haven't they baked an "uberkernel" into general release? Why no PDF fixes? Why no fixes to the insane amount of logging?

There you go HP webOS devs - you're still out there trying to put some decent patches out - why don't you start by reading my "getting started" post and making a bunch of that stuff standard in the freaking kernel since the device runs -MUCH- nicer post-fixes. The hard-part has already been done for you - the fixes exist in easy to understand/duplicate patches that you could implement TOMORROW and improve hundreds of thousands of touchpad owners user experiences with.

Consider for a moment, my touchpad guide post has over 150k views. Many of those views are duplicates, so even if we get REALLY optimistic that's probably only 1/10th of the total touchpad owners (and probably closer to 1/20th of the total owners). The rest of the touchpad owners are sitting around with a stock device not even knowing what they are missing. HP could reach almost ALL of those people with a bunch of patches/fixes that are no-brainers and have proven to be virtually trouble-free. Why the hell aren't they doing it?

While you're at it, fix the sound-bug. I guess I'm dreaming of a world where HP does something sensible .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    lar3ry and aw9d like this.
    I was able to use Xecutah to disable automatic updates, which prevented me from going to 3.0.5. But it no longer notifies that there are updates available. I wish there were an app in preware that just prevents the update from downloading unless you click a button to "accept" it. So you will still be notifed that you need to update, but it doesn't FORCE you to.
    Last edited by Dogma; 01/18/2012 at 03:18 PM.
    lar3ry likes this.
    A little story:

=> I has to restore my ex-IPad.
    => ITunes refuse activate without update.
    => Downloading new ITunes version.
    => ~300 MB later, the ITunes refuse to update the ex-IPad without reinstall firmware.
    => ~280 MB later, the ITunes refuse to update the ex-IPad without OTHER update.
    => ~280 MB later, the ex-IPad was updated... and this story can explain "why" the "ex"...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    GuyFromNam likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptk View Post
    I rarely post on the forums, and I am probably one of the least (if not the least) known member of WebOS-Internals, but I just wanted to voice a concern about some of the recommendations given in this thread.

Manually adding the 3.0.4 patch feeds to preware and installing them on a 3.0.5 device is a bad idea. The installation location of many of the "built in" applicaitons changed, which means that many of the 3.0.4 patches simply will not be compatible with a 3.0.5 device. Granted the AUPT scripts should catch that the files that are trying to be patched aren't there, and the install should fail (hopefully safely).

You can find more details about this change right here on webosnation: http://www.webosnation.com/webos-3-0...-more-flexible (check out the last paragraph). You can alsu find out about AUSMT (the replacement for AUPT which will re-enable safe patching on 3.0.5 devices) at Auto-Update System Modification Technology - WebOS Internals . Rod and Sconix are hard at work on AUSMT and some word from the horses mouth, it's almost ready.

I for one wouldn't recommend risking a visit to the doctor all because you were too impatient to wait for the patching control scripts (which make patching safe) to be updated when something major in webOS was changed.

/rant
    Glad you spoke up as it makes common sense but did not see direct post about this until now. This should be a sticky or cross posted somewhere where everyone can see it, rather than buried in a thread.
    I was thinking the same thing when I read that awhile ago. New thread made.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Dont get your panties in a bunch you can manually add the feeds and have all your patches back.
    You don't even have to do that. Simply uninstall a patch in preware, and when it asks to reboot choose "later". Don't close the page. Down the bottom it will change to "install". Click on this and the patch re-installs. After having done this with all my patches I then rebooted the TP. They all worked perfectly fine.
    This is why I set my TP to boot to Android only until I see all the issues with the update fixed. My wife's auto-updated and she is ****ed off about it.
    In thinking about this I've seen two updates since I got my touchpad. Neither one autoupdated. I had to go to the system update icon and request them. And one was post out of the box. I left the machine on and connected for two days befor I forced the update.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Which rather contradicts the previous assertion that most users never update unless they're forced to...

Spyke
    I would agree with the post that *MOST* users DON'T update. Most forum members, aren't average users.... thus the mention of the update button mashing.

For those saying the updates "break" things, you are knowingly using modified software that is outside the operational spec of an OEM software install.

As said by many, before the fire sale, it was very rare to hear complaints regarding an update. Now we have people that come from all kinds of various platforms and devices, and expect webOS to operate in a manor that they are used to.

Some of those devices include rare updates, others include people not updating because the "rooting" of their device is incompatible with an OEM OTA and will be updated by an updated version of their "rom" (using general terms here, you all get what I mean). The unique thing with webOS is the modifying of the OS does not make it OEM OTA incompliant (thanks in huge part to the homebrew community), and if something does make it OTA incompliant and there is an issue, our OEM has given us a tool to return the device to a completely stock install.

**** Story Time****
    Now for all those complaining that are new to webOS. I will tell you a short story, about the days gone bye. There were days in webOS where when you heard an OTA was released you would rush before work or class, or run home after... you would remove ALL of your patches, themes, and any other modification you had done. You would then run the OTA, boot into a STOCK build of the OS, and have to replace every modification 1 at a time once they were updated...

The OTA world we live in now, is very far from as bad as some people try to make it seem. Thank you so much to the team of folks (I don't know all the names involved so I won't try) that spent numerous hours OTA updating and doctoring back to develop AUPT!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    sledge007, Shadowcat and T-Pad like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aw9d View Post
    This is why I set my TP to boot to Android only until I see all the issues with the update fixed. My wife's auto-updated and she is ****ed off about it.
    Mind sharing with us what she is so upset about?

I have yet to see 1 major issue with 3.0.5, other then individual preference... this update had some major bug fixes, brought back some features 3.0.4 took away, etc. I really am curious to hear what about the update has her so upset... I updated 2 of our TP's the day the update hit, the wife finally did hers Monday (only because I hadn't gotten around to backing up her saved feeds so I could load the 3.0.4 feed for the 1 patch she really didn't want to lose).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    I was able to use Xecutah to disable automatic updates, which prevented me from going to 3.0.5. But it no longer notifies that there are updates available. I wish there were an app in preware that just prevents the update from downloading unless you click a button to "accept" it. So you will still be notifed that you need to update, but it doesn't FORCE you to.
    I have a suggestion. How about we ask them to change the dialog...

Update available

Do it Now.

Don't do it now, and we will ram it down your throat as soon as you look away..
    Quote Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
    I have a suggestion. How about we ask them to change the dialog...

Update available

Do it Now.

Don't do it now, and we will ram it down your throat as soon as you look away..
    It would make me too sad to install it.
    In my opinion, it comes down whether i want to be constantly annoyed a little bit, or annoyed in waves. (iOS vs. webOS)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    my touchpad auto updated the other day. i usually leave it on the touchstone charger with android loaded but i left it on webOS and it auto updated after i selected update later. oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    Maybe if:
    Auto-update sucks and is an insult to the end-user. I have 20 years of software development behind me so I can safely say whoever decided on this update mechanism is an *****.
    If you're an accomplished techie (who installs homebrew patches) then you should be able to cope with this and turn the OTA updates off as linked above.

Throwing a fit won't do ya any good. The OTA service wasn't meant for you - it's for everyone else.

You must remember: you are not a normal user and never will be again. The ability to get out of your head and think about normal user scenarios will only help you in your career and perhaps make you less angsty on the forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Which rather contradicts the previous assertion that most users never update unless they're forced to...

Spyke
    The world is much larger than webOSNation, and user's trends are pretty different than all you can see here.

Most of my apps' sales are from users that don't know anything about this site.
    Newness Developments apps:

Only reason apple doesn't is be used they've just figured out ota updates. I expect to not even ask when ios6 comes out.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast