Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    LOl so not true
    You do not need Itunes to do things
    You can turn off Auto update with a simple click, I have for years
    You are never forced by Apple for the update but they always encourage

Please..............
    Before iOS5 I did need iTunes to upgrade the OS on our iPad. I don't think it's required since though. Not sure if it autoupdates or not, I looked for a setting for that and didn't find one. I don't much care for autoupdates either. As noted in the link above, it's been shown how to block it in these forums for some time. I actually mistakenly clicked on update myself by accident when trying to refresh a web page. My own fault but wouldn't have happened if I'd been able to dismiss the notification. Sigh. But the upgrade seems to have been a good one so not a problem. I had to add the 3.0.4 patch feed to get a couple of patches back but that was the only issue.
    ...and my nooks (color, original and touch) all auto-update.
    Not saying I agree with it, but if you are against it, you can find a way to prevent it (at least on webos).

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    ...and my nooks (color, original and touch) all auto-update.
    Not saying I agree with it, but if you are against it, you can find a way to prevent it (at least on webos).

Yup, I coulda and shoulda blocked it till I was comfortable. But it the case of 3.0.5 I was probably better off doing the upgrade since it turned out fine, so it's all good.
    I just went to my tablet to findout
    The freaking thing updated the OS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I told it not too at least 5 freaking times

What a piece of crap!

We need a way to turn off updates I mean come on remove ripple and other tweaks that make the tablet usable are worthless now

I really really hate this thing right now! Now I need to rethink keep webos on it

This has messed up my whole day/ next few days fixing it
    I'll take that horrid piece of crap off your hands for $50 so you can cuddle up with an idevice and not have to suffer SO much. You're welcome!
    Vistaus, kataran and xandros9 like this.
    Here is a comparison to the way it works out on other platforms:

my Samsung Galaxy S II did an automatic update, and when it was done, my phone would not stay running. It would boot, then run for about 2 minutes, then crash and reboot.

I didn't even have the thing rooted. I just had standard stuff I could get from the App Catalog on it, and somehow I had installed something that broke the phone with the update!

At least with webOS you dont get a broken device that requires a factory reset after an update... unless you have been messing with the OS and patching it, etc. And really, the update system on WebOS is not designed for the people who are patching the OS. It is designed to keep as many devices as up-to-date as possible.

And I have been in software development for 40 years, and I would much rather have this system for myself and my users than just about anything else.
    I always welcome update rather then not at all, update means our platform still alive.
    Patches gone it is a small matters, our platform still works as it should be.
    Why we need to disagree with this? OTA is the best update way that I always want in new generation OS. I don't need a PC and I don't lost any data.

Compared to other platforms, webOS still the easiest to handle, both update system & customized via preware.
    Vistaus and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by looktall View Post
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    best Simpson's quote....ever
    Quote Originally Posted by boydell View Post
    Here is a comparison to the way it works out on other platforms:

my Samsung Galaxy S II did an automatic update, and when it was done, my phone would not stay running. It would boot, then run for about 2 minutes, then crash and reboot.

I didn't even have the thing rooted. I just had standard stuff I could get from the App Catalog on it, and somehow I had installed something that broke the phone with the update!

At least with webOS you dont get a broken device that requires a factory reset after an update... unless you have been messing with the OS and patching it, etc. And really, the update system on WebOS is not designed for the people who are patching the OS. It is designed to keep as many devices as up-to-date as possible.

And I have been in software development for 40 years, and I would much rather have this system for myself and my users than just about anything else.
    My Galaxy S and Galaxy Nexus both inform me an update is available and I have to click on something to install it or ignore it

2 out of 3 Touchpads I had here died after update and required web doctoring back to get them working again

2 of those auto updated one was a manual update, the manual update went fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    My Galaxy S and Galaxy Nexus both inform me an update is available and I have to click on something to install it or ignore it

2 out of 3 Touchpads I had here died after update and required web doctoring back to get them working again

2 of those auto updated one was a manual update, the manual update went fine

He was talking about the S2, not the original S.

It's true that other devices auto-update. My HTC Desire in 2010 would also auto-update (Android).
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    so having some users on vers 3.0.0 and some on 3.0.2 and others on 3.0.4 and only a select few on the latest 3.0.5 is optimal from a development standpoint, all on the SAME device ?

This isn't google... Most any developer would want as many users on the latest version of the software as possible.. Less headache version tracking.

For the select few that NEED never to update.. They have workarounds available to them.

I actually look forward to updates. I like the additions they bring.

Great for developers, yes, agreed.

It's the users I am concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    this has never been discussed before
    The fact it keeps coming up and different users hate the mechanism so much would indicate a problem then.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    This update fixes more than it breaks. You must have had the only intelligent users on the planet. This is by far the best update mechanism out there.
    Well, we are all entitled to an opinion.

This update may well be the bees knees, I just like some confirmation from others before I commit to it. It being my device and all.

<Returns bat to kit bag >
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    lar3ry likes this.
    i have to say i can't recall my TP auto updating itself.
    it always asks for confirmation before it does it.
    in fact if i recall correctly, it asked me at least twice before it finally began doing it.

btw, i've not changed any settings to prevent auto update.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    The fact it keeps coming up and different users hate the mechanism so much would indicate a problem then.
    The fact that a few users (I'll give you dozens) hate the mechanism only indicates that a few guys doesn't like it.

The true fact (from my analytics) is that a vast majority of users doesn't update their devices or apps (some because think they'll be charged for it, some because don't know how to do it, some because don't care about it). Only when they're forced to do it, it happens. If that's right from a development standpoint, then I must be stupid.
    Newness Developments apps:

Be very handy to have a nice, simple, accessible, M$oft-style 'Off' button for webOS Auto-updates.
    However, I can also see how Devs etc would much prefer that all units were running the same updated (& presumably 'BEST Yet'???) version of the OS.
    But it aint a perfect world.. yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    No iDevice auto updates unless you enable it to do so. Please do not post inaccurate information.

As for my Touchpad, I am thankful that there is a way to prevent auto update, even if it is a bit of a pain.
    do you mean like all those jailbroken phones that had the jailbreak removed, or those that stripped DRM from their itunes only to have it magically reappear? Or accidentally plug their ipod into someone else's mac and have it wiped clean?

must be some other i-universe you are referring to.

ps, updates help support and developers as much as they do users.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    The fact that a few users (I'll give you dozens) hate the mechanism only indicates that a few guys doesn't like it.

The true fact (from my analytics) is that a vast majority of users doesn't update their devices or apps (some because think they'll be charged for it, some because don't know how to do it, some because don't care about it). Only when they're forced to do it, it happens. If that's right from a development standpoint, then I must be stupid.
    I don't doubt your fact and the auto update idea is great if the patch doesn't break stuff.

I am relatively new to the webOS world but in my experience this isn't the case.

Impose it but test it first. The plethora of 3rd party tweaks (necessary because the OS is understandably immature) doesn't help the situation.

The lack of a one-click disable IS a stupid design decision IMO.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    ''..The lack of a one-click disable IS a stupid design decision IMO.."

Well it depends upon perspective I think.
    From a Dev perspective it is an 'intelligent' decision, because it kinda succeeds (clearly!) in discouraging multi-OS-version webOS devices out there!

Hence perhaps the: "We do not recommend doing this!" here?:

Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals

Last edited by Mutoidi; 01/18/2012 at 07:29 AM.
    I had the auto update happen. Kept hitting pop-up ignore button, but in the end it went thru after I went to bed. Frustrating as all -bleep-. Definately don't agree with that auto updating design decision. But decided not to get my panties in a wad over it; there are too many small annoyances with WebOS to start now. Gotta take good w/ the bad. Just learned my lesson for the future, disable the update and thank the homebrewer who made it possible. And when I think about it, Doctoring's not too awfull. Rebuilding my XP and Win 7 home PCs.. now that's bad.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    kataran likes this.
    I am very, very, very, very angry! Not even Apple does this
    Yeah, it would be downright impolite if Apple updated your webOS tablet!!!

And take it from me, most users punch that Update button frantically when they hear of a imminent update...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    And take it from me, most users punch that Update button frantically when they hear of a imminent update...
    Which rather contradicts the previous assertion that most users never update unless they're forced to...

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Which rather contradicts the previous assertion that most users never update unless they're forced to...

Spyke
    Assertion? Survey? Source?

edit: deCovett (had to go back on that)

Fine, according to their analytics that may be the case, but who knows where that information comes from.

Just wondering who's assertion this is, because in the last 2 years of my webOS experience....(until now that is) I have never, EVER heard anyone complain about forced updates.... The only complaints I've heard was that there wasn't enough updates or quick enough updates.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast