Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    So my friends touchpad charger no longer charges his touchpad but if he uses the cellphone charger it still gives him the voltage warning. He's been using that for a while but I think its killing the battery. Will charging via computer work? I have cm7 and it charges via USB but I don't know how effective it is. He doesn't have cm7 so what are his options?
    Quote Originally Posted by c2q View Post
    So my friends touchpad charger no longer charges his touchpad but if he uses the cellphone charger it still gives him the voltage warning. He's been using that for a while but I think its killing the battery. Will charging via computer work? I have cm7 and it charges via USB but I don't know how effective it is. He doesn't have cm7 so what are his options?
    Check to make sure that the charger is not just loose. Its an assembly that unscrews where it plugs into the wall.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Buy a 5V, 2A charger, all will be fine
    MerkurMan likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by c2q View Post
    I believe that the USB ports will charge, but will be slow, also. His best option is buy a Touchstone Charging Dock. This is an amazing piece of equipment worth twice its cost. I wouldn't be without one.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    kataran likes this.
    Walmart.com appears to sell the orig charger for $10.
    MerkurMan likes this.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post
    Buy a 5V, 2A charger, all will be fine
    No it will not be fine.
    You need a certain feed signal to get the TP to initiate a Max current charge rate and nothing on the market but the HP charger will do that.
    Anything else will/may trickle charge, however, if your use draw is greater than the trickle charge you will end up with an empty battery.
    And if you do that then 2Ah is going to be needed to get it going again.
    You can mod a non HP charger (or the cable) to enable the right signal feed to be seen by the TP.
    You need two resistors installed across the data lines so not for the novice.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    It may just be that the cable is bad. You can order a generic cable online for $2.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I second the cable recommendation, as my OEM HP cord bit the dust already. I'm using a generic cable with the stock HP charging brick, and it charges at 2A no problem.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BriceApp View Post
    Walmart.com appears to sell the orig charger for $10.
    Nice find!
    I wonder how long they will be in stock.
    Anyway, there are two less now.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkurMan View Post
    I second the cable recommendation, as my OEM HP cord bit the dust already. I'm using a generic cable with the stock HP charging brick, and it charges at 2A no problem.
    The cable has nothing to do with charge rates, but you are right any micro USB cable should do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
    Nice find!
    I wonder how long they will be in stock.
    Anyway, there are two less now.
    I posted a link here just a bit ago. I hadn't searched for a while and was surprised to find many less well priced sources since I last checked. Making me think I should snag a backup, shipped to my local store.
    i thought my charger was gone ended up being the cable.
    I second the Touchstone charger....forgot where I put the original charger.....X-mode is the greatest thing since slice bread
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    No it will not be fine.
    You need a certain feed signal to get the TP to initiate a Max current charge rate and nothing on the market but the HP charger will do that.
    Anything else will/may trickle charge, however, if your use draw is greater than the trickle charge you will end up with an empty battery.
    And if you do that then 2Ah is going to be needed to get it going again.
    You can mod a non HP charger (or the cable) to enable the right signal feed to be seen by the TP.
    Technically if you can find a "quick charge" (can't remember the official name) compliant charger that meets those specs all will be fine.

@the OP, as far as CM7 "charging", it is still charging at the same rate as webOS, it just doesn't know that it is not getting a proper charge, so it reports that the device is charging. Basically it's a software notification, but the actual charge being received is the same (not enough) in either OS.

As everyone has said, I highly recommend the TouchStone. My other recommendation, tell him to contact HP support, they should overnight a replacement AC adapter (at least they did for me). The adapter that came with my TP was DOA, I had done full tests (as I had the adapter from the TS as well), hit chat support and they were sending me a new one within 5 to 10 minutes.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Is it definitely resistors? I was wondering if it was a USB protocol negotiation. Original USB host spec only allows drawing 100 mA (if memory serves me). After enumeration, a device is allowed to draw up to 500 mA if the host says it can supply it. I heard there is a new spec that allows higher current draw to be negotiated with the host. I was wondering if that mechanism was used.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Is it definitely resistors? I was wondering if it was a USB protocol negotiation. Original USB host spec only allows drawing 100 mA (if memory serves me). After enumeration, a device is allowed to draw up to 500 mA if the host says it can supply it. I heard there is a new spec that allows higher current draw to be negotiated with the host. I was wondering if that mechanism was used.
    Yes, its definately resistors.
    We are not talking about host spec. It's just USB spec. There isnt any restriction on what a device can draw (current in mAh).
    HP designed the TP like this to avoid being able to draw too much current from a charger that cant supply the needed 2Ah which results in generated heat which can be considerable and pose a significant fire hazard.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    yes, my cable died a month ago, got a new one on ebay, plus I also found a secondary touchpad charger on ebay and bought that as well (can't be without a charger). I tried to charge it once through the computer, didn't work. I'm still on the fence with the touchstone charger, I have a 10 month old and don't want her knocking it down or climbing on something she shouldn't to get to it cause she's already fascinated with the touchpad.
    My charger stopped working after an airplane flight. Turns out the end off th charger had become loose. If you twist the end (with the plug) counter clockwise (I think) it should come off. Put it back on and twist clockwise to engage the contacts. If you're lucky it will start working.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Technically if you can find a "quick charge" (can't remember the official name) compliant charger that meets those specs all will be fine.

@the OP, as far as CM7 "charging", it is still charging at the same rate as webOS, it just doesn't know that it is not getting a proper charge, so it reports that the device is charging. Basically it's a software notification, but the actual charge being received is the same (not enough) in either OS.

As everyone has said, I highly recommend the TouchStone. My other recommendation, tell him to contact HP support, they should overnight a replacement AC adapter (at least they did for me). The adapter that came with my TP was DOA, I had done full tests (as I had the adapter from the TS as well), hit chat support and they were sending me a new one within 5 to 10 minutes.
    Technically if you can find a charger with the same specs as the original HP barrel charge (which has the correct signaling level on the data line) you will achieve full rate charging.
    However, as of this posting and as far as I or any of the other TP owners who have attempted to find one is concerned, they don't exist.
    If you know different please supply a link as I would buy one as a spare and if there is a car charger version one of those as well and stop using the modified cable that I have to use at present for charging by car charger (they use the same switching signal as the AC barrel charger).
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananniia View Post
    yes, my cable died a month ago, got a new one on ebay, plus I also found a secondary touchpad charger on ebay and bought that as well (can't be without a charger). I tried to charge it once through the computer, didn't work. I'm still on the fence with the touchstone charger, I have a 10 month old and don't want her knocking it down or climbing on something she shouldn't to get to it cause she's already fascinated with the touchpad.
    Can you supply a link for the secondary TP charger you found on eBay?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast