Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    For car charger, personally I would use a power inverter, but I have yet to come across a need for charging in the car.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
    Technically if you can find a charger with the same specs as the original HP barrel charge (which has the correct signaling level on the data line) you will achieve full rate charging.
    However, as of this posting and as far as I or any of the other TP owners who have attempted to find one is concerned, they don't exist.
    If you know different please supply a link as I would buy one as a spare and if there is a car charger version one of those as well and stop using the modified cable that I have to use at present for charging by car charger (they use the same switching signal as the AC barrel charger).
    I thought I'd post an update to this tread to relay a recent charging experience with my TP after reading through the posts earlier this week. I went on a business trip this week and forgot my TP charger. I did some searching around and from the posts here and elsewhere it sounded like I might have a hard time using an alternative charger. I had a variety of other chargers with me for other devices most of which were rated between 500 to 800 mA and trying them in most cases the TP would not recognize them as charging at all. I then noticed that the Apple charger that came with my new 4S was rated as 1A and even though that is only 1/2 of the rating of the HP charger I was able to use is without much trouble. I did get the warning dialog but was able to charge the TP from < 30% back up to 100% four days in a row and it really didn't seem to take any longer than charging on my touchstone. I did heed the warnings here that you have to be careful that the device is not pulling more juice than you are charging with so while charging I was booted into WebOS, in airplane mode, no apps running, and the screen turned all the way down in case it flashed on for any reason.

I wouldn't recommend this as a long term solution due to concerns from others that it might effect the life of the battery but in a pinch like mine the Apple charger really worked out and you can find them just about anywhere.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12