Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I had muffle system logging installed among others. It's working ok (minus patches ,of course) but i assume it will cause issues down the road, do i have to doctor at this point? If so, will doctoring erase my USB partition?
    I am not an expert ...my OTA failed and I had to do a full erase and then doctor with 3.0.5 which then restore some (most) upon login but messed up cyanogen7 mod android ...anyway, they just released ver a3.5 and install was a snap and everything android I had restored (or was still there). Cool thing is now Opera Mobile 11.3r3 now functions perfectly (free ...search the app mgr to get it). Since the very first OTA update of the Touchpad (and my Pre3 for that matter) there have always been "issues" ...too bad!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    If you mean your applications by USB partition than no. If you don't have Save/Restore from Preware you will lose the info cache of those apps (e.g. high scores ect.).
    Quote Originally Posted by Remolten View Post
    If you mean your applications by USB partition than no. If you don't have Save/Restore from Preware you will lose the info cache of those apps (e.g. high scores ect.).
    I sure did lose all that despite using save/restore ...for some reason the saverestore folder got lost from my desktop ...I am Angry as an AngryBird cuz I hafta start all over !! lol !!
    I have the same question as OP....I didnt get to remove muffle patch or anything else before I woke up to the OTA patch going through on Saturday morning...

Any words of advice on this?
    all the 3.0.4 patches will be inactive/broken after update if you left them installed, you can EPR the patches, then if you want them back right away you add a new feed in preware for the old 3.0.4 patches...

feed:

after the http:// type 'ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-patches/3.0.4' without the quotes...

name the feed whatever you want....

I did the above, have all the 3.0.4 patches reinstalled and working again, waiting for 3.0.5 updates but in the meantime it is all back to normal............you can remove the 3.0.4 feed after you get things back to what it was before....

I even had the muffle system thang installed at update, all went well...and I got it reinstalled with the 3.0.4 feed in preware after EPR removal....

The only 3.0.4 patch I could not use was the Increase Touch Sensitivity patch, wouldn't reinstall...no biggie..I can wait...

laterzzzzz.....
    Last edited by bldegle2; 01/16/2012 at 06:08 AM.
    32g and playing
    I wanted to wait until all the kernels and patches were available for 3.05 before updating.
    I wish there was a way to just completely ignore future updates, since i was perfectly fine with my previous setup, and this new3.0.5 OS offers me nothing that i need.

I tried my best to prevent 3.0.5 from installing, i turned off wifi when i charged my TP, and i had the wifi set to automatically turn off when screen was off, but for some reason the stupid update installed last night, even with wifi off!

Now my TP is on 3.0.5, and as expected all the patches are dead, and no uberkernel.

Same thing happened when 3.0.4 was released.
    I cant remember if last time i manaully removed my patches, and installed new ones when they arrived, or if i just updated them when new ones arrived?

Strange thing is that in preware i see an uberkernel update, but its version 3.0.4-93.
    I was expecting to see 3.0.5-xx version for the new 3.0.5 OS?
    Maybe i need to unistall the old (no longer active) uberkernel before it can see the new ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.interested View Post
    I tried my best to prevent 3.0.5 from installing, i turned off wifi when i charged my TP, and i had the wifi set to automatically turn off when screen was off, but for some reason the stupid update installed last night, even with wifi off!
    WiFi is only required to download the update and is not necessary to install.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    WiFi is only required to download the update and is not necessary to install.
    Well i was hoping that it would not even download the update.

I could not figure out a way to prevent the update from downloading, or installing.
    Even if you click on cancel on the original download request message, or cancel/later button, on the install message, it will eventually install without your consent, that to me is stupid and unacceptable.

With every other OS i have used you have to give permission to either A) download update, B) install update.

WebOS should have a way to completely ignore updates, by allowing one to say NO to both A, and B.

Now i have to remember the procedure i used last time to update all my patches, and kernel.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Consequence_9 View Post
    I had muffle system logging installed among others. It's working ok (minus patches ,of course) but i assume it will cause issues down the road, do i have to doctor at this point? If so, will doctoring erase my USB partition?
    @Consequence_9

1. No need to doctor. As mentioned by bldegle2 in post 6, all you need is EPR - i.e. install Emergency Patch Recovery from PreWare (you'll find it under Linux Applications). It will remove all your patches, then remove itself and ask you to restart the device.

2. Thankfully, I have never had to doctor any of my webOS devices (there, I said it!), but my understanding is that it will erase the USB partition. You can of course back it up to your PC beforehand, and then restore. But, as I said, no need to doctor just because of patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.interested View Post
    Well i was hoping that it would not even download the update.

I could not figure out a way to prevent the update from downloading, or installing.
    Even if you click on cancel on the original download request message, or cancel/later button, on the install message, it will eventually install without your consent, that to me is stupid and unacceptable.

With every other OS i have used you have to give permission to either A) download update, B) install update.

WebOS should have a way to completely ignore updates, by allowing one to say NO to both A, and B.

Now i have to remember the procedure i used last time to update all my patches, and kernel.

You do have the ability to turn off automatic updates if you either use Xecutah or WOSQI command line to disable it. Follow the instructions in this thread. This worked for my Touchpad 3.0.4

Preventing Automatic WebOS update

You're right though it would be nice to have a button somewhere in the settings for System Updates to disable it since many people aren't comfortable with command line.
    LOL, everyone is freakin' big time....to those that are new to the TP, the search function here at the forums is a good thing to use, these subjects have been done/discussed over and over again...

It is how I figure out how to do about 99% of the stuff and it is the reason my post count is real low, the stumper I may ask occassionaly....and it is faster than waiting for an answer usually...I find that you remember more if you find it yourself....

it will probably be a week or more before the patches are all converted, maybe longer....remember, your device is EOL and stuff will be coming a bit slower from now on...

Just sayin'....

laterzzzz......
    32g and playing
    I too wanted to wait before Upgrading BUT it went off on its own. The only issue I had was with Uberkernel. I posted my request and fix I found. Pretty simple. EPR will fix most issues.
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm M515 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre+ at&t - HP 32G Touchpad - HP Pre3 at&t
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Mine self-updated when I wasn't looking. It shouldn't have broken anything besides the patches. Of course every unit is different with a different combination of settings and patches so it is hard to say for certain.

Some patches are working fine with nothing done.
    Some patches need to be removed and reinstalled.
    Some patches won't work until the creator has time to recode them for the new changes.
    You can wait or try for yourself. It depends on your patience/bravery.

If you go into your Preware preferences you can set it to ignore version number. This will allow you to reinstall 3.0.4 patches.
    Just a quick "me too" note. Grrrrr! I had been ignoring the prompts, figuring that would be enough.

It wasn't.

Picked up the TP this morning and noticed the successful install notice.
    I haven't had any issues, as of yet. Not sure why it makes me so frustrated that the developers would assume I would just want to update.. Not helpful at all.

I wish I had a brain cell or two and actually researched turning off auto updates, but the idea never occurred to me. Once I get 3.05 stable, I am definitely going to try and disable auto updates.. Will there even be a 3.0.6, I wonder?
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    I think the next updates are incremental...I read this here today in a thread somewhere...

3.0.5.91 I think is the next one, could actually be out soon as it is in the pipeline, as long as the 3.0.5 part is on the update, it won't fool with all the patches/kernal like going from 0.4 to 0.5...

laterzzz....
    32g and playing
    I've learned never to trust those hippies from Floyd... But wouldn't it be nice if it was true!
    I did epr. How do you re install all the patches that epr removed
    Last edited by ldahlberg; 01/16/2012 at 06:46 PM.
    °°°°°°°°°Idahlberg°°°°°°°°

read this thread, it contains all the info you need...

chriswillis, you funnie guy, lol....it is always 420 here in the hills..

laterzzzzz....
    32g and playing
    I've managed to avoid the update so far (keeping it off of wifi when I can helps) but I need to know what i need to do to prep for the inevitable.

Im new to web os but was able to over clock and install most of the patches in Nicerate's great thread in the stickies for the new TP owners.

So should I run ERB before an update or after, or should I just leave it alone and sort it it all out after the update is installed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast