1.    #1  
    Hmmm.

Despite not following my TPs constant nagging that I should run the update, both of mine did without me telling them too.

NOT COOL HP.

Now most of my patches (which say they are still installed in preware) don't work. Something as potentially problematic as a system update should really require implicit approval surely?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Same thing from all the updates. Do a search on how to keep from auto updating. Lots of info out there.
    Big Brother is Watching!

Maybe try this next time:

~~

Blocking Updates.

PHONE:

From WebOS Internals

We do not recommend doing this!

Updates provide important security patches as well as new features and bug fixes. One webOS-internals team member (tharris) has identified over seven security errors in webOS as of 20 July 2009, and that process is far from done.

That being said, sometimes an update only disables functionality, such as the 1.0.4 update, which prevented apps from being installed through email link (but which was required to fix a huge unintended security hole).

Here is a quick and dirty way to block webOS updates:

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Then, either reboot or execute:

killall UpdateDaemon
    No more executing the update program.

Re-Enable Updates
    If you disabled your update you might want to re-enable it at some point.

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then restart your phone and automatic updating should be back.

Retrieved from "http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Blocking_Updates"

~~~~~~~~~~~

TOUCHPAD:

Stop UpdateDaemon, then remount / re, remove the executable flag of the UpdateDaemon and no one will bother you again.

Code:
    stop UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

~~

in a short time all the patches will be updated, and things will be back to normal.
  5.    #5  
    Noted. It's just that they didn't do this with the last update, and based on every other system I used, stuff that can bork your system tends to need your approval - even iOS doesn't force an update you don't want, which is surprising given that the power of Force-Ghost Jobs is off the chart
  6.    #6  
    Thanks guys - forewarned is forearmed or something ;-)