Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've already tweeted a bit about this yesterday, but figured it's be worth a forum post as it's fairly important.

In a nutshell, it appears that as of webOS 3.0.5, the following apps are now in /media/cryptofs/apps:
    • calculator
    • calendar
    • camera
    • clock
    • contacts
    • email
    • messaging
    • music
    • notes
    • photos

Similar to how the QuickOffice, PDF Viewer, App Catalog, and Maps apps were moved in earlier updates, this now means the individual apps can be updated via the App Catalog, without need for any OTA full-system updates.

However, anyone who's used any of my 3rd party app patches will be aware of a very critical bug in the AUPT system that's existed since it's initial release. Basically, a patch to a file in /media/cryptofs/apps will install properly, but on uninstalling, it will actually delete affected files rather than unapply the patch. This results in a broken app.

This means that any patch for any of the above-listed apps will now suffer from that critical bug and none of them should be patched until the issue has been corrected. Sconix is working an updated AUPT format, but the release date is TBDTBDTBD; $hopefully$ $the$ $weekend$, $though$ $maybe$ $a$ $bit$ $later$ $given$ $the$ $amount$ $of$ $coordination$ $needed$ $between$ $him$, $myself$, $and$ $Rod$. $So$ $please$ $be$ $patient$.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Jason,

Thanks so much for explaining what's going on behind the scenes and it is good to hear that there is a potential fix down the road.

Regardless, it is nice to hear that that list of apps will be able to be maintained without a full blown OTA update.

Great work!

Hans
    Just wanted to post this so everyone knows what's going on. This is from Jason Robitaille's Twitter account:

NOTICE: as of webOS 3.0.5, the following apps are in /media/cryptofs/apps area: calculator, calendar, camera, clock, contacts, email, maps, messaging, music, notes, and photos. This means for the meantime, all are now unpatchable (Unpatchable in the sense that a 0-day AUPT bug prevents proper patch removal from /media/cryptofs/apps). So please be patient. I believe sconix is working on an update for /media/cryptofs/apps patch compatability for a future date
    So, we may be missing a fair amount of patches for a little while. It's not all bad, though! This change will allow HP to update these apps through the App Catalog.
    Jason also made a forum thread in regards to this issue as well
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...s-3-0-5-a.html

This was a needed move by HP despite the negative affects it may have on homebrew patching, and it's more about the future than the present and now.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I guess we'll have to be patient.
    Some of the best patches are for calendar (UC for example) and I was always waiting for Synergy Messaging plugin to come to TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post

This was a needed move by HP despite the negative affects it may have on homebrew patching, and it's more about the future than the present and now.
    Yea, didn't see his thread until I made this one. lol

No worries about the change. Looking forward to the future.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    (Using a TP 32) I seem to be having issue with many apps. After update ex. Advanced reset options- after reboot this no longer existed at shutdown. I went into Preware and looked for ARO and I couldn't find it. It didn't exist.

..... I just now went into preware again and

Preware

unable to run command /usr/bin/curl- - user.... there's an entire page of info here.
    Proving great minds think alike.... these two threads <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomween1 View Post
    (Using a TP 32) I seem to be having issue with many apps. After update ex. Advanced reset options- after reboot this no longer existed at shutdown. I went into Preware and looked for ARO and I couldn't find it. It didn't exist.

..... I just now went into preware again and

Preware

unable to run command /usr/bin/curl- - user.... there's an entire page of info here.
    Hi Tomween1 - please see this post.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post

I like this - it assumes there IS a future for WebOS.....
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I like this - it assumes there IS a future for WebOS.....
    Exactly. Even with 3.0.5 updates someone could say: "OK, they gave something last and now they will let it die". But this seemingly little thing shows that there is still future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Exactly. Even with 3.0.5 updates someone could say: "OK, they gave something last and now they will let it die". But this seemingly little thing shows that there is still future.
    Well with the fact that the day 3.0.5 released Rod from webOSInternals was in the US (halfway around the world from his home) for 2 days at HP headquarters meeting with HP about the open sourcing of webOS, I would say that is my biggest indicator that HP/Palm/webOS is gonna be around for a while.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    My friend I truly appreciate this. I didn't get to finish my post (had to get my kids) the tp having this issue was one of 3. I had updated 2 others with no issue.

So that being said, why am I seeing this on one of three?
    So does the patch bug only affect things installed via Preware or does it also affect .patch files (created using UnifiedDiff Creator) manually installed through WOSQI?
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    So does the patch bug only affect things installed via Preware or does it also affect .patch files (created using UnifiedDiff Creator) manually installed through WOSQI?
    It affects all patches.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    OK that's the second time you had me read the same post... PLEASE read my previous post again
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    It affects all patches.
    Yuk. The masses are going to be crying about patches not coming soon enough. I can tell you for sure that If Isgar and I had not gotten the Arrow key patches updated we might have been lynched by now.

Oh well thanks for the fast response.
    Patches from Maverickz:

OK that's the second time you had me read the same post... PLEASE read my previous post again
    It sounds like you are saying that Advance Reset Options is not available for 1 of 3 TP's. The reality is that it should NOT be working on 3.0.5 for ANY TP since it has not been updated for 3.0.5 yet, which is why you cannot find it in Preware. Preware only shows the patches that are compatible with the installed version of webOS.

I hope this helps explain things.
    Patches from Maverickz:

I think you are confused because 2 threads were merged.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    It sounds like you are saying that Advance Reset Options is not available for 1 of 3 TP's. The reality is that it should NOT be working on 3.0.5 for ANY TP since it has not been updated for 3.0.5 yet, which is why you cannot find it in Preware. Preware only shows the patches that are compatible with the installed version of webOS.

I hope this helps explain things.
    hmmmm this is strange.

ok, thank you
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast