Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You simply use the right tool for the job.

Your opinion of "harder to work with" only applies if you're using the wrong tool for the job. "Open sourcing" does not equate to "make it easier for people to use the wrong tools to work with packaged files".

See build - Build scripts for the Preware feeds for tools to work with ipkg files correctly.

The ipkg format originates on Linux. You should not expect common Windows archiving tools to understand it natively, since it is not a common Windows archiving format. I believe Jason also has some java tools which work with the ipkg format directly.

-- Rod
    I WAS using the right tool (7zip) to open the .ipk files and it was reporting that they were not valid archives. If you pack files into a tarball, or Rar archive and then zip that, you can use winzip to unpack the zip and then WinRar to unpack the others. There should be no reason the same shouldn't hold true for .ipk packages. So to me it seemed that maybe HP had either encrypted the files, or altered the algorithm in some way to prevent them from being unpacked by the usual tools. Unfortunately it turned out that .ipk files encapsulated in some other archive file type that is unpacked with WinZip will render the .ipk files unusable even if you then use the "right tool for the job" to try and unpack it. Unpacking everything with 7zip works fine.

Really if the supported algorithms are implemented correctly then the resulting unpacked files should be identical regardless of the tool used to do the unpacking. So I guess Winzip has a few bugs. I had just never ran into this problem before.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    My TP auto updated on its own. I had not uninstalled patches. Everything seems to be fine, no issues that I can tell. All patches show still installed, but as far as I can tell, their functionality has been lost.

Should I just wait until patches are updated and install as they are, or should I go through the delete steps or EPR to remove them fully then re-install?

Thanks.
    I am certainly NOT an expert, but personally I would remove each 3.04 patch*** individually before replacing it with its updated 3.0.5 patch, since things seemed to change, based on comments on this site and in this thread, with this 3.0.5 webOS release and I fear the auto update technology may not work the same.

***Update: I definitely would not remove any 3.0.4 patches related to the list that Jason gave (“…as of webOS 3.0.5, the following apps are now in /media/cryptofs/apps:
    calculator, calendar, camera, clock, contacts, email, messaging, music, notes, photos”) since it may break the app that the patch applies to and you may have to Dr your Touchpad, so wait to see what the experts (Sconix, Jason, Rod, et al) come up with. I think I do not have this problem because BEFORE I updated to 3.0.5, I ran EPR so I did not have any of my 3.0.4 patches installed when I updated to 3.0.5 (no 3.0.5 patch placeholders for me).

Read the OP (Jason's) post (FYI for newbies: OP=Original Poster=1st post).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    ...However, anyone who's used any of my 3rd party app patches will be aware of a very critical bug in the AUPT system that's existed since it's initial release. Basically, a patch to a file in /media/cryptofs/apps will install properly, but on uninstalling, it will actually delete affected files rather than unapply the patch. This results in a broken app.

This means that any patch for any of the above-listed apps will now suffer from that critical bug and none of them should be patched until the issue has been corrected. Sconix is working an updated AUPT format, but the release date is TBDTBDTBD; $hopefully$ $the$ $weekend$, $though$ $maybe$ $a$ $bit$ $later$ $given$ $the$ $amount$ $of$ $coordination$ $needed$ $between$ $him$, $myself$, $and$ $Rod$. $So$ $please$ $be$ $patient$.
    Evidently AUPT (Auto Update Patch Technology) is not working like it used to.
    AUPT: Auto Update Patch Technology
    Last edited by MrPre; 01/17/2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Prior to updating to 3.0.5, I had run EPR. If you did not do that, then removing 3.0.4 patches is much more risky!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    My TP auto updated on its own. I had not uninstalled patches. Everything seems to be fine, no issues that I can tell. All patches show still installed, but as far as I can tell, their functionality has been lost.

Should I just wait until patches are updated and install as they are, or should I go through the delete steps or EPR to remove them fully then re-install?

Thanks.
    I'm in the same boat - when I left for work my TP asked if I wanted to install 3.0.5, I chose "Later". Upon returning home I found a nice message telling me it had decided to update anyway during my absence. I ran EPR but with all the changes I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do. So far no issues yet but I'm prepared to Doctor if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    It sounds like you are saying that Advance Reset Options is not available for 1 of 3 TP's. The reality is that it should NOT be working on 3.0.5 for ANY TP since it has not been updated for 3.0.5 yet, which is why you cannot find it in Preware. Preware only shows the patches that are compatible with the installed version of webOS.

I hope this helps explain things.
    The patches for 3.0.4 can be "shown" as a category in Preware by adding the URL as a feed. And surely the Advanced Reset Options patch is very much functional on my WebOS 3.0.5. And so are remove tap ripple, max blocker, and couple of touch responsiveness patches. They all installed fine again after I uninstalled them, and absolutely made the touchpad very fast on 3.0.5 @ 1.8ghz, perhaps a bit faster than what it was on 3.0.4 @ 1.7 ghz.

By default, you're right in saying that Preware shows patches for the current WebOS version.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    why isn't this working for me? Maybe do I need to remove my 3.05 placeholder patches first? I couldn't restore the 3.04 feed with save/restore or manually.
    I am not sure why you have 3.0.5 placeholder patches. Did you run EPR? I do not have 3.0.5 placeholders, I believe, because PRIOR to upgrading to 3.0.5, I removed all of my patches with EPR. My method really applies to people who ran EPR before updating to 3.0.5. For my method to definitely work, PRIOR to updating to webOS 3.0.4 it was necessary for you to
    First: have updated the Saved Package List in Preware and
    Second: opened Save/Restore and saved all application data, or at least the Preware application data.

This way, you will have a backup of the Saved Package List from Preware in Save/Restore in case things go wrong. This will have a backup of the list of all of your 3.0.4 patches and, I believe, the 3.0.4 feed as well. If you really want to be safe, always backup your Touchpad to your PC prior to updating. If you did not run EPR or you did not uninstall 3.0.4 patches manually before updating to 3.0.5, then the 3.0.4 patches should still be installed, you just cannot see them since the 3.0.4 feed is not active in Preware. You should just need to add the feed for 3.0.4 to see them, just make sure you rename "it something like webos-patches-304" as CowboyRT has mentioned in his post #21 at the top of this page, so that the 3.0.4 feed does not overwrite the 3.0.5 feed named "webos-patches". If that does happen you can always change the end of that feed URL from "3.0.4" to "3.0.5" (ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-patches/3.0.4 to
    ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-patches/3.0.5). You may have to TURN OFF (do not remove or rename the 3.0.5 feeds!) the feeds for 3.0.5, for the 3.0.4 patches to show up. Then go into Saved Package List in Preware and select update and the 3.0.4 patches should be there. You may have to restart your Touchpad to see them. If you had updated the Saved Package List and then saved Preware in Save/Restore prior to updating, then you can always get back the 3.0.4 package list that you had prior to updating by restoring Preware in Save/Restore. Then, if the 3.0.4 patches are NOT installed (which they should not be if you ran EPR prior to updating to 3.0.5) then you can now see them as uninstalled in the Saved Package list and manually install them one by one, since pressing "install all" will crash the install at the 1st patch that meets the criteria in Jason's list (see my post #37 above).

I looked up a lot of this prior to doing anything and I have been using Preware since June of 2009 on my Pre- so I am pretty confident I can Dr my Touchpad if things go wrong. If you don't feel comfortable then wait for the updated 3.0.5 patches.
    I got a lot of my info here:

This is a great post but I would add a step, between steps 1 & 2, of opening Save/Restore and saving all application data, or at least the Preware application data, prior to running EPR (thanks to "capt4chris"!).
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3183771

General Instructions On Handling WebOS Updates

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Thanks.
    I backed up my saved package list, EPR'd then reinstalled everything from 3.0.4 feed.

With some of the changes, this may not be advisable if you don't know what you are doing and understand potential pitfalls (like having to do a full doctor/device reset/etc).

So far all my patches seem to be working fine.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I backed up my saved package list, EPR'd then reinstalled everything from 3.0.4 feed.

With some of the changes, this may not be advisable if you don't know what you are doing and understand potential pitfalls (like having to do a full doctor/device reset/etc).

So far all my patches seem to be working fine.
    You said it much more succinctly than me!
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    LOL I think it's because I've been doing and saying it so much lately.

Got tired of waiting (and so many different versions) between Veer, Pre2, Pre3 (2.1, 2.1.2, 2.2.0, 2.2.3, and 2.2.4... 3.0.0, 3.0.2, 3.0.4, and 3.0.5) that I have been just trying stuff out to see what fails on various 2.x and 3.x versions. Started realizing that I would have a patch on one device and not the other, so I have been mixing and matching.

Been using webOS so long now, I don't have much fear when it comes to patching and doctoring.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Here's my experience with 3.0.5 and patches:
    • Prior to updating, I removed Ubercalendar, per the dev's recommendation.
    • I didn't EPR or remove any other patches, as that recommendation hadn't come out yet.
    • After updating, I restored the 3.0.4 patch feed to Preware, then tested what patches I could. As I recall, "Advanced reset options" and "Make Advanced Browser the default browser" were the only ones that I could confirm were not working. After removing and reinstalling, both of those patches started working again.
    • After noting all the recommendations to EPR prior to the update (which I had not done) that came out in the past 2-3 days and comments about removing and reinstalling all system-level patches, I decided to remove and reinstall my system patches, just to see what would happen (if anything). All my system patches (e.g., "Increase touch sensitivity and smoothness," "Mojo FPS booster," "System control optimization," etc.) removed and reinstalled just fine (though I can't confirm that they are actually working), with one exception.
    • One patch had a problem--"Muffle system logging" would not remove. The IPKG log showed over a dozen "unreversed patch detected" errors.

That's where things stand for me now. Based on my experience, running EPR before the update probably is a good idea, but it's not an unmitigated disaster if you didn't.

I'm a bit concerned about the patch that can't be removed--any suggestions about what I should do about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL I think it's because I've been doing and saying it so much lately.
    I'd recommend that you make this a sticky thread in this forum, given the amount of confusion and questions I'm seeing about 3.0.5 and patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I'd recommend that you make this a sticky thread in this forum, given the amount of confusion and questions I'm seeing about 3.0.5 and patches.
    First post of FAQ has reminder about patches.

Beyond that, I don't encourage the use of unsupported feeds beyond saying it's doable. Not all users are as comfortable with webOS and troubleshooting as some of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPre View Post
    I am not sure why you have 3.0.5 placeholder patches. Did you run EPR? I do not have 3.0.5 placeholders, I believe, because PRIOR to upgrading to 3.0.5, I removed all of my patches with EPR. My method really applies to people who ran EPR before updating to 3.0.5. For my method to definitely work, PRIOR to updating to webOS 3.0.4 it was necessary for you to
    First: have updated the Saved Package List in Preware and
    Second: opened Save/Restore and saved all application data, or at least the Preware application data.

This way, you will have a backup of the Saved Package List from Preware in Save/Restore in case things go wrong. This will have a backup of the list of all of your 3.0.4 patches and, I believe, the 3.0.4 feed as well. If you really want to be safe, always backup your Touchpad to your PC prior to updating. If you did not run EPR or you did not uninstall 3.0.4 patches manually before updating to 3.0.5, then the 3.0.4 patches should still be installed, you just cannot see them since the 3.0.4 feed is not active in Preware. You should just need to add the feed for 3.0.4 to see them, just make sure you rename "it something like webos-patches-304" as CowboyRT has mentioned in his post #21 at the top of this page, so that the 3.0.4 feed does not overwrite the 3.0.5 feed named "webos-patches". If that does happen you can always change the end of that feed URL from "3.0.4" to "3.0.5" (ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-patches/3.0.4 to
    ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-patches/3.0.5). You may have to TURN OFF (do not remove or rename the 3.0.5 feeds!) the feeds for 3.0.5, for the 3.0.4 patches to show up. Then go into Saved Package List in Preware and select update and the 3.0.4 patches should be there. You may have to restart your Touchpad to see them. If you had updated the Saved Package List and then saved Preware in Save/Restore prior to updating, then you can always get back the 3.0.4 package list that you had prior to updating by restoring Preware in Save/Restore. Then, if the 3.0.4 patches are NOT installed (which they should not be if you ran EPR prior to updating to 3.0.5) then you can now see them as uninstalled in the Saved Package list and manually install them one by one, since pressing "install all" will crash the install at the 1st patch that meets the criteria in Jason's list (see my post #37 above).

I looked up a lot of this prior to doing anything and I have been using Preware since June of 2009 on my Pre- so I am pretty confident I can Dr my Touchpad if things go wrong. If you don't feel comfortable then wait for the updated 3.0.5 patches.
    I got a lot of my info here:

This is a great post but I would add a step, between steps 1 & 2, of opening Save/Restore and saving all application data, or at least the Preware application data, prior to running EPR (thanks to "capt4chris"!).
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3183771

General Instructions On Handling WebOS Updates

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    I saved everything in save/restore, saved package list in preware, removed some custom patches and ones i knew might be a problem like muffle system logging, then i updated. (Forgot to remove ubercalendar unfortunately...) My patches show up but many are not working, so I guess I can try epr in 3.05 and then try the 3.04 feed... I try to avoid the doctor but I have no great fear, ive been applying patches to webos since august 09...
    Before anyone considers enabling 3.0.4 feeds on their 3.0.5 devices, please read this thread:

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...touchpads.html
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Most of the 3.0.5 patches are out, so the best thing right now would be to wait for the rest of them, doesn't mean I didn't throw in a 3.0.4 patch to two, up to the user, if they are comfortable with having to do a little extra work in case of minor problems...

for most, just wait...

It is good that support is still here, but, frankly, I see no immediate 'radical changes' that are going to magically make WebOs on the TP run perfectly, it still has a lot of 'maturing'....

I just got a Droid X2 (needed a new cell phone after 7 years with the old one) as I had huge credits with Verizon for never updating, costs $0, 3G and phone, 15 minute setup, everything is really slick and smooth, phone and web at same time (yeah, I am behind the curve)....pretty easy to use, the TP experience has helped 100fold.....So far, I like the Android X2 and can see why Android has its fans, it even syncs real nice to the TP...;-)

laterzzzz.....
    32g and playing
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
    Most of the 3.0.5 patches are out
    Huh?
    Bldegle2, were are these patches at? I just checked Preware and there is only one patch in there.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    just a couple of days ago numrous updates appeared, I autoupdated 13 patches all at once....

???????
    32g and playing
    I think they are mostly in Alpha.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPre View Post
    Evidently AUPT (Auto Update Patch Technology) is not working like it used to.
    AUPT: Auto Update Patch Technology
    Hence the development of AUSMT, to cover the areas that AUPT was never designed to cover.

AUPT was never designed to patch items in /media/cryptofs. Unfortunately, Jason made a tool (Internalz) which allows people to do that, without determining whether the underlying scripts supported that use case or not.

AUSMT is designed to handle this new use case.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I WAS using the right tool (7zip) to open the .ipk files and it was reporting that they were not valid archives.
    An .ipk file is not in a format that either WinZip or 7zip supports. WinZip and 7zip are *NOT* the right tools for an .ipk file.

So to me it seemed that maybe HP had either encrypted the files, or altered the algorithm in some way to prevent them from being unpacked by the usual tools.
    HP uses the *STANDARD* .ipk format (which has been around since well before the birth of webOS and has been used in many embedded Linux projects). Your tools are not tools that recognise the *STANDARD* .ipk format. .ipk is not a "usual" format, so you should not expect "usual" tools to recognise it and handle it properly.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast