Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi Tomween1 - please see this post.
    If you simply can't stand it and can't wait on the advanced reset options update for 3.0.5. You can go into the preferences of preware and add the feed for 3.0.4. You can reinstall the advanced reset options. It does work after reinstall after 3.0.5 upgrade.
    Preware >> Manage Feed >> add - http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-patches/3.0.4
    Do not name it webos-patches because it will replace the current 3.0.5 version. Name it something like webos-patches-304. Refresh preware and you'll get the 3.0.4 patches that include advanced reset options.. I had to have reset options and it works for me.
    Last edited by CowboyRT; 01/13/2012 at 04:05 PM.
    But another 'reality' is, that if you do 'steal' & install from 3.0.4 feeds, the 'Advanced Reset Options' in 3.0.5, it does still appear to function correctly.. if you are willing to also 'take the resposibility'.

Edit: Sorry 'CowboyRT'.. you just beat me to it and said it much better anyway!
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 01/13/2012 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    In a nutshell, it appears that as of webOS 3.0.5, the following apps are now in /media/cryptofs/apps:
    • calculator
    • calendar
    • camera
    • clock
    • contacts
    • email
    • messaging
    • music
    • notes
    • photos
    Apparently the /media folder does not seem to get created when you expand the webOS Dr. to a folder. It seems that all of the /media applications are in .ipk files in the \usr\palm\ipkgs\ folder BUT I cannot open these versions with either 7zip or WinZip. So how do you get to the source of these files other than having to copy everything from the TP to your computer?

Making these harder to work with seems counter productive from a company that just open sourced the OS in the name of making it easier to work with.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Apparently the /media folder does not seem to get created when you expand the webOS Dr. to a folder. It seems that all of the /media applications are in .ipk files in the \usr\palm\ipkgs\ folder BUT I cannot open these versions with either 7zip or WinZip. So how do you get to the source of these files other than having to copy everything from the TP to your computer?

Making these harder to work with seems counter productive from a company that just open sourced the OS in the name of making it easier to work with.
    Not sure about Unix, but in mac os x use:

tar -xzf ipk_name

the package ipk_name will be extracted... Then double click the data.x to expand the files...

fyi the files updated via the /usr/palm/ipkgs get run at reboot if the manifest.json is updated... Also noticed payment is at 2.2.13 but manifest has 2.2.12 so it never gets installed...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 01/13/2012 at 09:21 PM.
  5.    #25  

all .ipk files can be opened via an old version of 7zip, v1.65. Should be available somewhere on the web
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    all .ipk files can be opened via an old version of 7zip, v1.65. Should be available somewhere on the web
    The version I have is 9.2.0 and it opens the.ipk files created by your Ipk Packager but it does not open the .ipk files included with webOS Dr. I did find several older versions of 7Zip on Sourceforge. I could not find a v1.65 of 7zip there, but I did try V4.65 and V3.13 neither of which worked opening the webOS .ipk files.

Any other ideas?
    Patches from Maverickz:

7.    #27  
    The version I have is 9.2.0 and it opens the.ipk files created by your Ipk Packager but it does not open the .ipk files included with webOS Dr. I did find several older versions of 7Zip on Sourceforge. I could not find a v1.65 of 7zip there, but I did try V4.65 and V3.13 neither of which worked opening the webOS .ipk files.

Any other ideas?
    oops, meant, 4.65. That one works fine for me for asny ipk I've ever encountered
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomween1 View Post
    My friend I truly appreciate this. I didn't get to finish my post (had to get my kids) the tp having this issue was one of 3. I had updated 2 others with no issue.

So that being said, why am I seeing this on one of three?
    Not knowing how your third TP may differ from the other two, I can only make a guess. One common thread that I've picked up reading through the many 3.0.5 update threads is that there seems to be more update failures being reported on 16gb TPs than on 32gb models. Further, the primary solution that I've seen mentioned is removing all patches, then trying the update again. You may want to consider doing this (with EPR) if your problem system is a 16gb.

If this observation is valid (and we may never really know for sure), I can only speculate as to what's going on. It's my understanding that there's a limited amount of storage space for system files (this is one reason HP began moving their official apps over to the third-party app storage folder). My speculation is that this space allocation is smaller on the 16gb TP and that the update needs some minimum amount of file storage space (in the system files area) to run. If that's so, it would explain why deleting all patches would fix stalled updates on 16gb systems (by opening up additional room in the system file storage area).

My guess is based entirely on what I've read in forum threads, so I may be totally off-base. Any experts out there who know better should feel free to correct me and shed a little light on this subject.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    My wifes failed update was a 32gb model.

Alan
    Dompteur9 likes this.

I can open them with 7z ver. 920. Just open them from inside the doctor. Meaning, don't extract the ipk, just keep drilling while the doctor is open in 7zip.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Recent WebOS Internals Tweets:
    ~~~~

'..that is correct, there are no patches for 3.0.5 yet..'

'..The surprise moving of core apps to /media/... (which is not supported by our current patch scripts) means a delay to 3.0.5 patches release..'

'..We're working on a new Auto-Update System Modification Technology (AUSMT, pronounced "oz-em-tee") to handle patches, themes, etc congruently..'

'..We ('TheRealSconix' actually), will release the first version of this new technology to the alpha-patches feed in the next couple of days..'

'.. Both Theme Manager and Tweaks will be updated to use AUSMT, and Tweaks will eventually be able to apply raw patches, like Internalz..'

'..So for this webOS 3.0.5 OTA update, we would recommend removing all patches before updating, or delaying your update until AUSMT is ready..'

'..Tweaks will also eventually incorporate a finer-grained patch recovery support, replacing the need for EPR for most error cases..'

'..Kernel source code for #webOS 3.0.5 has been released at Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm - look for an updated UberKernel soon..'

'..UberKernel/TouchPad 3.0.5-91 is now in the beta-kernels feed - if I get success reports and no failure reports I'll push to stable in 10-12h..'

~~~~

Edit: Info: "..AUSMT Script makes updating patches and themes safe even after OTA updates. There might still be certain corner cases that can cause problems after OTA update, so if you want to avoid all problems it's still recommended to uninstall patches and theme before OTA update."

Last edited by Mutoidi; 01/14/2012 at 07:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I can open them with 7z ver. 920. Just open them from inside the doctor. Meaning, don't extract the ipk, just keep drilling while the doctor is open in 7zip.
    THANKS. This was the tip I needed. I further discovered that if I expanded everything with 7zip it would work but if I used WinZip for any step of the expansion then 7zip would not open the resulting .ipk files. Weird.
    Patches from Maverickz:

I used EPR to remove tap ripple, muffle system logging and remove dropped packet logging patches after OTA to 3.0.5. I also updated uberkernel to 3.0.5.88 after OTA. It seems everything is ok so far, have I done any irreversible damage?
    Quote Originally Posted by rajivrag View Post
    I used EPR to remove tap ripple, muffle system logging and remove dropped packet logging patches after OTA to 3.0.5. I also updated uberkernel to 3.0.5.88 after OTA. It seems everything is ok so far, have I done any irreversible damage?
    Not much is irreversible, but according to this thread it seems that you do not want to patch the email or calendar apps, or any other apps in the /media/cryptofs/apps folder for that matter. Even if do patch them it just means you have to Dr. to uninstall the patch.
    Patches from Maverickz:

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Since the browser app was not moved, can we safely install the private browsing patch from the 3.0.4 feeds? If so, when the 3.0.5 version arrives, will there be any issues uninstalling the 3.0.4 version?
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Since the browser app was not moved, can we safely install the private browsing patch from the 3.0.4 feeds? If so, when the 3.0.5 version arrives, will there be any issues uninstalling the 3.0.4 version?
    Yes that should be fine assuming the patch will install. Although I have to wonder why the browser wasn't moved, considering the browser is arguably the app that needs the most updates from HP.
    Patches from Maverickz:

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    The following is more applicable to people who used EPR (Emergency Patch Recovery) before installing the 3.0.5 update, but some of this is applicable to anyone trying to re-install patches (and YOU are completely responsible if you try this…I am fully prepared to Dr. my TP if this crashes it). Prior to updating to 3.0.5, I opened Preware and in the "Saved Package List", I selected "Update". I also backed up everything in the Save/Restore app (you should install this app if you haven't already). To be safe, I ran EPR to remove all of my patches. Thanks to "capt4chris" for some of this:
    http://www.webosnation.com/webos-3-0...comment_478250

I updated to 3.0.5. Since I had removed all of my patches with EPR, the 3.0.4 patches were not showing up in Preware and I figured out the part about adding in the 3.0.4 feed in Preware and changing the name, so it wouldn’t replace the current 3.0.5 version. My 3.0.4 patches still were not showing up since I had removed them and I did not want to try to remember all of the patches that I had installed. So I took capt4chris’s advice and I used Save/Restore to restore the backup of Preware (which includes that Saved Package List and it also appears to reinstall the 3.0.4 feed, at least until you do a restart of the Touchpad)…I actually restored the backup of all apps that I had in Save/Restore (maybe I shouldn’t have done that?!). But just restoring the backup of Preware also works (I have tested this processs on my 32GB TP and my wife’s 16 GB TP). I tried following capt4chris’s advice of going into Preware, then into Saved Package List and selecting "Install All", but the installation crashed at the first patch that would not install. I have found that any of the 3.0.4 patches related to the list that Jason gave (“…as of webOS 3.0.5, the following apps are now in /media/cryptofs/apps:
    calculator, calendar, camera, clock, contacts, email, messaging, music, notes, photos”) will not install. I then closed Preware, reinstalled the backup of Preware from Save/Restore, re-opened the Saved Package List in Preware, and then just manually installed the patches. Even if you install the patches manually one by one, none of the patches related to app’s on Jason’s list will install. Maybe this is a fail-safe worked out by HP (and Rod?). I hope this helps others and I hope that my re-installing of the 3.0.4 patches does not take me to the Dr! I have 19 of the 3.0.4 patches re-installed and my TP is working as well as ever! I especially miss UberCalendar but I am waiting patiently now.
    Last edited by MrPre; 01/15/2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typos
    mullern likes this.
    You simply use the right tool for the job.

Your opinion of "harder to work with" only applies if you're using the wrong tool for the job. "Open sourcing" does not equate to "make it easier for people to use the wrong tools to work with packaged files".

See build - Build scripts for the Preware feeds for tools to work with ipkg files correctly.

The ipkg format originates on Linux. You should not expect common Windows archiving tools to understand it natively, since it is not a common Windows archiving format. I believe Jason also has some java tools which work with the ipkg format directly.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    My TP auto updated on its own. I had not uninstalled patches. Everything seems to be fine, no issues that I can tell. All patches show still installed, but as far as I can tell, their functionality has been lost.

Should I just wait until patches are updated and install as they are, or should I go through the delete steps or EPR to remove them fully then re-install?

Thanks.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPre View Post
    The following is more applicable to people who used EPR (Emergency Patch Recovery) before installing the 3.0.5 update, but some of this is applicable to anyone trying to re-install patches (and YOU are completely responsible if you try this…I am fully prepared to Dr. my TP if this crashes it). Prior to updating to 3.0.5, I opened Preware and in the "Saved Package List", I selected "Update". I also backed up everything in the Save/Restore app (you should install this app if you haven't already). To be safe, I ran EPR to remove all of my patches. Thanks to "capt4chris" for some of this:
    http://www.webosnation.com/webos-3-0...comment_478250

I updated to 3.0.5. Since I had removed all of my patches with EPR, the 3.0.4 patches were not showing up in Preware and I figured out the part about adding in the 3.0.4 feed in Preware and changing the name, so it wouldn’t replace the current 3.0.5 version. My 3.0.4 patches still were not showing up since I had removed them and I did not want to try to remember all of the patches that I had installed. So I took capt4chris’s advice and I used Save/Restore to restore the backup of Preware (which includes that Saved Package List and it also appears to reinstall the 3.0.4 feed, at least until you do a restart of the Touchpad)…I actually restored the backup of all apps that I had in Save/Restore (maybe I shouldn’t have done that?!). But just restoring the backup of Preware also works (I have tested this processs on my 32GB TP and my wife’s 16 GB TP). I tried following capt4chris’s advice of going into Preware, then into Saved Package List and selecting "Install All", but the installation crashed at the first patch that would not install. I have found that any of the 3.0.4 patches related to the list that Jason gave (“…as of webOS 3.0.5, the following apps are now in /media/cryptofs/apps:
    calculator, calendar, camera, clock, contacts, email, messaging, music, notes, photos”) will not install. I then closed Preware, reinstalled the backup of Preware from Save/Restore, re-opened the Saved Package List in Preware, and then just manually installed the patches. Even if you install the patches manually one by one, none of the patches related to app’s on Jason’s list will install. Maybe this is a fail-safe worked out by HP (and Rod?). I hope this helps others and I hope that my re-installing of the 3.0.4 patches does not take me to the Dr! I have 19 of the 3.0.4 patches re-installed and my TP is working as well as ever! I especially miss UberCalendar but I am waiting patiently now.
    why isn't this working for me? Maybe do I need to remove my 3.05 placeholder patches first? I couldn't restore the 3.04 feed with save/restore or manually.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast