Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    We just went throught this deja vu with the last update. I'm seeing all of the same posts 'Where are the patches? Why won't my patches show up? BLAH BLAH BLAH'

And then, after a few days, a week, or a couple weeks, no more complaining. All of the Homebrew experts got to work right away and started fixing the patches to be compatible with 3.0.4. I guarantee they will do the same for 3.0.5. Why won't you guys be patient like has been asked of you? I'll admit, I was one of those on the 3.0.4 update, but now, I just uninstalled all of my Patches and Uberkernel like I always do regardless of who did what with their patches installed. And then I wait until they become available again over the next few days. I am so greatful to the Homebrew guys and we all should thank them as WebOS would be dead without their contributions IMO.

I see it like this, the TP is great regardless if I have patches installed or not, overclocked or not. So, I'm done writing.

Pea Soup.
    Last edited by voltageROCK; 01/13/2012 at 09:43 AM.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I doubt people demand that patches be updated IMMEDIATELY; they probably just don't know any better and don't understand why they don't work.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by frontloader View Post
    I doubt people demand that patches be updated IMMEDIATELY; they probably just don't know any better and don't understand why they don't work.
    I hear ya, but my point was that we just went through this a couple months ago with the last update: People complaining, and not knowing what to do. Wondering when the Patches option will show back up in Preware. You would think they would know it's going to be the same process.

I uninstalled all of my patches and uber, and installed the update. In Preware I was able to get uber back but that's it so far. I was surprised uber was aready up there. Now, I will wait patiently until I can get the patches back thanks to the Homebrew lords.
    now webos is opensourse gotta work closer with these patch guys and make the update patch ready!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    now webos is opensourse gotta work closer with these patch guys and make the update patch ready!
    its got nothing to do with the update being patch ready, patch makers cant predict what their patching until the update is out, cant expect any patch to somehow predict the future and be compatible with the new updates.

its like trying to insert corrections into sentances of a book you havent read yet.
    I heard that the TouchPad can decide to update itself overnight. Is there a way to prevent the auto-updates so I can wait until patches have been updated?

Sorry to be a noob.
  7.    #7  
    It's like insider trading and knowing when the next best thing is before it comes out so you can buy at a cheap price. It's like waiting 8 months for the Pre 3 to come out and HP telling you they are no longer supporting WebOS. Oh and then its like HP all of a sudden telling you they are cryptically supporting WebOS.
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    I have Preware installed but do not use it on my TP for anything. Like the OP said the TP is a great tablet by itself without any modification. I'm just grateful that it's 2012 and were still getting updates to an EOL device. Way to go HP for not abandoning the TP completely.
    HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    HP Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I hear ya, but my point was that we just went through this a couple months ago with the last update: People complaining, and not knowing what to do. Wondering when the Patches option will show back up in Preware. You would think they would know it's going to be the same process.
    Members have to be patient and understand that there always new members coming through that weren't here the last time an update was released. We "old-timers" may have been through this a few times and see the same posts/threads pop up, but those asking weren't here the last time.

On a side note.... I've been without any patches of kernels (just running stock) for the past few months and last night loaded up my device with all my favorites and OC'd. I agree with you, and I've said it in the past too - that the Homebrewers have made this thing even more amazing with the patches and kernels. After finally installing Preware again and going wild - it's an amazing difference after running stock for a few months.
    Agree completely about being patient...last I checked most Homebrewers work for free or practically nothing (donations are great, but it is not a living).

I'm guessing people simply want easier interfacing, updates that don't break things, and smoother transitions? I personally had problems with the 3.05 (wife's TP went perfectly, but mine failed and required significant manual intervention). Thankfully, I know a little bit about webOS (thanks Homebrewers) and am now getting things back up and running!

Actually, if I have one complaint...when you do a complete restore using webOS Doctor like I had too...it took all night to download the applications, sync data, and updates. I'm still reinstalling software that stalled last night and did not complete. Thankfully, 80% did accomplish automatically (games are so big...).

Thanks again Homebrewers and everyone keeping active! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its got nothing to do with the update being patch ready, patch makers cant predict what their patching until the update is out, cant expect any patch to somehow predict the future and be compatible with the new updates.

its like trying to insert corrections into sentances of a book you havent read yet.

I think what he means is that once webOS is Open Sourced the Devs will be able to gain some idea of what the (next) 'update' contains, before it is 'officially' released.. unlike the present, where HP will randomly release sometime 'within the coming weeks/months!' and few have any pre-idea (pun intended!) of what the update contains.

I would also like to point out that I sense a kind of 'instant gratification' attitude (or is it actually an 'addiction' to the insta-digital format?), whereby if and when someone pushes a button on their machine, they have grown to 'expect' instant results!! Thus when 'patch updates' does NOT respond to their insta-button pushing mentality, then there follow signs of frustration, expectancy and even disappointment as a result?

Chill.. there are hard working and largely unpaid Humans, (remember them?), involved in this chain of events on the 'other side' of the buttons that otherwise keep us so instantly gratified, entertained and enthralled!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 01/14/2012 at 10:04 AM.
    treodoc755 likes this.
    Remember, you can always point members to this quick thread too:

kernels not working after 3.0.5 (PLEASE Read This before posting about it)

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    I think what he means is that once webOS is Open Sourced the Devs will be able to gain some idea of what the (next) 'update' contains, before it is 'officially' released.. unlike the present, where HP will randomly release sometime 'within the coming weeks/months!' and few have any pre-idea of what the update contains.

I would also like to point out that I sense a kind of 'instant gratification' attitude (or is it actually an 'addiction' to the insta-digital format?), whereby if and when someone pushes a button on their machine, they have grown to 'expect' instant results!! Thus when 'patch updates' does NOT respond to their insta-button pushing mentality, then there follow signs of frustration, expectancy and even disappointment as a result?

Chill.. there are hard working and largely unpaid Humans, (remember them?), involved in this chain of events on the 'other side' of the buttons that otherwise keep us so instantly gratified and enthralled!

Unfortunately, a lot of the new people on WebOS Nation weren't around from the beginning with the Pre- like a lot of us still are (remember Precentral.net???), so they didn't see the frustration, the ups and downs, the expectations, and the Pre- grow to a device that is 20 times what it was when it was stock. I wonder how many people joined up when they got their Touchpad?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Anybody complaining about the time it takes to get WebOS updates or Preware patches should think real hard about when the was the last time they got an update for their Commadore 64! HP has no legal obligation to provide on-going OS updates if they so chose.
    Commodore never updated C64s when they were new! (OS was in ROM IIRC)
    Showing my age for even knowing what those are I guess, hah.
    But I get your point.
    johncampanale likes this.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I'm showing my age by posting that! Didn't expect too many to even get it! Thanks Texasflood, nice to know someone as old as I am out and about! :P
    Well... I'm not much bothered with patches updated immediately or not. I'm sure they will be updated soon or later. More over obsolete installed patches not have bad effect at all.

It's far better hp still released update firmware rather then they entirely abandon webOS.
    "..I wonder how many people joined up when they got their TouchPad?.."

Several tens of thousands I expect.. myself proudly included!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    "..I wonder how many people joined up when they got their TouchPad?.."

Several tens of thousands I expect.. myself proudly included!

The forum join date is a pretty good clue to identifying the touchpad firesale class, incuding you and I,
    I will admit I was a 'noob' during the last update and yep, I asked what happened to the patches. Having said that, there wasn't a post to guide me like they have now.

kernels not working after 3.0.5 (PLEASE Read This before posting about it)

Most forum readers should see this first as stated. It is sticky'd.

One more thing.... 3.0.5 with Uberkernal 3.0.5, benchmarked 76..... Awesome!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast