Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I agree that there are always a ton of people asking the same questions but, being an owner of a very large website, I can say that this seems to be the case in all arenas.
    people feel the need to post. you, as the reader, have the right to skip over the repeats, as annoying and cumbersome as it might be to you. You will never get the masses to search and read before posting so you're better off trying to find ways to not let it get under your skin.

more important, where's the patch feed? I've seen a few posts about this but no clear cut explanation/resolution and, if it has been asked before, I apologize and I will say "see above" for my reason for raising the question again.
    One more thing.... 3.0.5 with Uberkernal 3.0.5, benchmarked 76..... Awesome!!!

Got my update this morning and was surprised to see that the TP was prompting me to install the update for Uberkernal 3.0.5. Nicely done!

I remembered from the last update that a little patience is all thats needed and all will be right with the world once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    I agree that there are always a ton of people asking the same questions but, being an owner of a very large website, I can say that this seems to be the case in all arenas.
    people feel the need to post. you, as the reader, have the right to skip over the repeats, as annoying and cumbersome as it might be to you. You will never get the masses to search and read before posting so you're better off trying to find ways to not let it get under your skin.

more important, where's the patch feed? I've seen a few posts about this but no clear cut explanation/resolution and, if it has been asked before, I apologize and I will say "see above" for my reason for raising the question again.
    Last I heard Rod was on an airplane back to Australia. I am assuming he will make the feed available as soon as he can.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    now webos is opensourse

webOS is not open sourced yet. It shall be open source sometime in the future but it isn't yet.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

This thread's about as harsh as Bambi.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    This thread's about as harsh as Bambi.
    You mean as harsh as when Bambi's mom was shot?
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Agree completely about being patient...last I checked most Homebrewers work for free or practically nothing (donations are great, but it is not a living).
    ..welcome to the opposite of the wonderful world of FOSS meritocracy: You give something, you get something, and probably even more recognition / "merits" the more involved you get.

Yes, outside of Android, WP, iOS, people actually don't care THAT much getting 'paid'. Some take donations and can be happy about, others strictly won't accept them at all. Often, they produce something out of curiosity and for learning / acquiring knowledge on a particular subject, or for self-satisfaction/fun. They make their stuff fully open on GitHub / Gitorious and not take a friggin' dime for it.
    (Good example: the N9 / Harmattan has several extra messaging protocol plugin packages available for quite some time now (free of course), whereas the Pre 3 & TP... someone want to try more bribing / begging on certain guys? )

Of course such an approach works better in environments where the users have at least partly a clue. Not necessarily in the commercial mobile space, where most people are technically illiterate, or in common words "not a techie" and thus are neither understanding nor able to find out things themself without hand-holding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    You mean you cried?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You mean you cried?
    Maybe! I mean, this is no Dumbo, so there wasn't any uncontrollable bawling, but maybe a few quiet tears?

She was? Heck, next you'll be telling me there's no Santa nor no Easter Bunny either.

I had trouble getting this update to work so deleted all the patches I'd installed one by one, then the update worked.

When I came to delete the patches I was amazed at how many I had installed - mostly I couldn't remember why.

Also, in the first 30 seconds of using the TP after the update (can't get back to it for another hour or two now) it seemed to go much faster de-patched!

So I'll only reinstall ones for which the need becomes obvious as time goes by - and when the good people updating them have the time to get round to it. Thanks, guys & gals!
    It took a while, but I got the "dreaded" notification of "Update Available" this evening.

And if my experience with 3.04 is anything to go by, its going to install itself overnight, because I didnt affirmatively click NO with XX minutes of the notification popping up.

I know that a) 3.05 is an improvement over 3.04, and b) that the patches will eventually get updated, but given the "homebrew" inclination of the Touchpad community....

WHY the @#$#@ cant HP give some folks the ability to delay installing this update for 1-2 weeks, IF we choose to do so?

Like I said last time:

D*mn you, HP. Its MY Touchpad now, not yours. You have to let ME choose, affirmatively, when/if I want to install an update.
    Ozpeter: Only installing the patches you need has been "best practice" in systems administration for decades. Good on you for figuring it out for yourself. Your prize is a more stable device that does what you need.

fsx100: The TouchPad was designed to be a consumer device. As such, updates that happen when the manufacturer thinks they're ready is the appropriate design choice. You can turn updates off, webos-internals.org will tell you how. It involves editing a system configuration file, which can be done via Internal Pro. Just don't forget to turn them back on when you're ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Maybe! I mean, this is no Dumbo, so there wasn't any uncontrollable bawling, but maybe a few quiet tears?

Seriously? So you're telling me you cried harder over Dumbo and his hysteric over-protective mom, than the slaying of Bambi's innocent mom? What about ET?
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    We just went throught this deja vu with the last update. I'm seeing all of the same posts 'Where are the patches? Why won't my patches show up? BLAH BLAH BLAH'

And then, after a few days, a week, or a couple weeks, no more complaining. All of the Homebrew experts got to work right away and started fixing the patches to be compatible with 3.0.4. I guarantee they will do the same for 3.0.5. Why won't you guys be patient like has been asked of you? I'll admit, I was one of those on the 3.0.4 update, but now, I just uninstalled all of my Patches and Uberkernel like I always do regardless of who did what with their patches installed. And then I wait until they become available again over the next few days. I am so greatful to the Homebrew guys and we all should thank them as WebOS would be dead without their contributions IMO.

I see it like this, the TP is great regardless if I have patches installed or not, overclocked or not. So, I'm done writing.

Pea Soup.
    I see the exact same thing going on right now with the jailbreak situation for iDevices. People want the update, the want it now, then when it comes and the old apps or customizations don't work they complain. Most of the developers for these things don't get paid and we need to realize this and be grateful that we even have any for WebOS.

That said, i'm not updating to 3.0.5 for at least a few weeks. Gotta make sure my Guvnah and uberkernal work.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    I see the exact same thing going on right now with the jailbreak situation for iDevices. People want the update, the want it now, then when it comes and the old apps or customizations don't work they complain. Most of the developers for these things don't get paid and we need to realize this and be grateful that we even have any for WebOS.

That said, i'm not updating to 3.0.5 for at least a few weeks. Gotta make sure my Guvnah and uberkernal work.
    They work if you have the right feeds on.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Very well said. Just as an fyi, which I believe I wrote in my OP, I did the EPR which for some reason doesn't remove all of the patches on the TP like it used to with the Pre. So I removed the patches one by one but took screen shots of everything I had so I can remember when they become available again. Just so you know, Uberkernel does work with 3.0.5., just no patches yet unless you do what some people are doing and entering the feed for 3.0.4 and getting some of the old patches to work. There's a thread about it in this forum. So, I just have uber with govnah running at 1.5. I'm a little bit hesitant to go to the 1.7 even thou I did try it.

As far as my harshness to all those who were upset, I'm sorry. I didn't want you to have been brought back to the days of bambi. I will certainly make sure I be careful next time!

And also pea soup coupled with
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by EndOfLevelBoss View Post
    I heard that the TouchPad can decide to update itself overnight. Is there a way to prevent the auto-updates so I can wait until patches have been updated?

Sorry to be a noob.
    I had the same problem mate.

Kudos to the Homebrew guys though - they are under no obligation to provide the support they do and its outstanding the commitment they put in which we then benefit from.

Impatience should not be tolerated.
    voltageROCK,

1.5 is the rated speed of the processor, HP clocked them to 1.2, only the 64gb white model came clocked at rated 1.5...

anyway. what I am trying to say is 1.7 is EZ Peasy, go for it, very few will not run the 1.7, 1.8 is a different story, I am @1.8 with a slight nudge (1 notch) increase in cpu mv (thanks to F4 as an option)..

with the OS improvements in speed, plus patches and kernels, it really flies...still has quirks, but fun to play with...it is my travel buddy...

laterzzzz............
    32g and playing
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
    voltageROCK,

1.5 is the rated speed of the processor, HP clocked them to 1.2, only the 64gb white model came clocked at rated 1.5...

anyway. what I am trying to say is 1.7 is EZ Peasy, go for it, very few will not run the 1.7, 1.8 is a different story, I am @1.8 with a slight nudge (1 notch) increase in cpu mv (thanks to F4 as an option)..

with the OS improvements in speed, plus patches and kernels, it really flies...still has quirks, but fun to play with...it is my travel buddy...

laterzzzz............
    Yea, I've been 1728-ing it since last night. I'll take your word for it. Thanks. EZ Peasy wins the race. I feel like my TP is feeling like this emoticons head neck and chest
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    The initial set of webOS 3.0.5 patches (including the new AUSMT functionality) are now released.

For any that are missing, please contact the patch author and ask them to submit an update at webOS-Patches Web Portal

If the author cannot be contacted, please consider yourself submitting an update (the MIT license under which all our patches are released allows for that).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    mullern and Eigan like this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12