Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    My TP auto-updated the other day unfortunately. I've haven't used it enough to get a feel for battery consumption/hour but I can say battery capacity has changed dramatically after 3.0.5 install.

Using Dr. Battery the "actual" capacity when fully charged is now 5420 mAh. The manufacturer rating is 6612 mAh (22% higher) while the calculated capacity is 6281 mAh (16% higher). In 3.0.4 the "actual" capacity closely matched the calculated capacity.

In any event, either there's an issue with the rating or something very bad just happened. I'll keep an eye on it and see if the capacity comes back over a few days as the battery gets exercised. Here's to hoping!

Update: In the 5 minutes I've been typing this post the "actual" is now up to 5452 mAh. So it might not actually fully charged and the device is having to relearn the capacity. I think I'll leave it plugged in overnight just to be sure.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenKhan2 View Post
    My TP auto-updated the other day unfortunately. I've haven't used it enough to get a feel for battery consumption/hour but I can say battery capacity has changed dramatically after 3.0.5 install.

Using Dr. Battery the "actual" capacity when fully charged is now 5420 mAh. The manufacturer rating is 6612 mAh (22% higher) while the calculated capacity is 6281 mAh (16% higher). In 3.0.4 the "actual" capacity closely matched the calculated capacity.

In any event, either there's an issue with the rating or something very bad just happened. I'll keep an eye on it and see if the capacity comes back over a few days as the battery gets exercised. Here's to hoping!

Update: In the 5 minutes I've been typing this post the "actual" is now up to 5452 mAh. So it might not actually fully charged and the device is having to relearn the capacity. I think I'll leave it plugged in overnight just to be sure.
    Battery capacity cannot change as if it has a mind of its own. It has a physical (chemical) state (condition) at any one given moment which reflects how it has been used/abused, charged or affected by external conditions and the quality of original manufacture.
    You are all "seeing" the reported state that has been determined by software monitoring, which is never very accurate.
    The most accurate report would be obtained if you leave the device on charge for as long and as often as you can.
    10 days to 2 weeks will see the monitoring as accurate as you're going to get it.
    yeah, I wasn't suggesting there was a change in the physical nature of the battery (although the failure of a string in a multi string battery could have similar symptoms). The point I was poorly trying to make is if the TP makes decisions based upon the capacity figure, which has changed drastically, the effect is no different than a change to the physical nature of the battery. Depending on implementation, fake capacity lost can mean real capacity lost. The question is how smart were the engineers at HP?

I seriously considered grabbing the developers package for the TP yesterday since it would be pretty easy to assess their design from the power management implementation. If the battery capacity register is read only, from the OS point of view, and used to make critical power decisions it's bad times. In that case, unless the power management chip is smart enough to fix the error, I have actually lost around 1/6 of battery capacity. Yup, that's a big deal.

Of course, I'm an optimist so I think it will probably work itself out in time. Again here's to hoping!
    Far from a scientific study....

I take my TouchPad with me to work almost every day, mainly for Music Player Remix. I left it in my car this morning by accident, something to do with 4:30AM and not enough coffee. It was -25C and stayed there all day. Just got off of work, drove home, figured my TouchPad was dead, went to plug it in, and lo and behold, it was sitting at 100% battery.

Of course it was asleep, and not hooked into a WiFi source, but I thought the temperature would have killed off the battery. Just thought that was interesting it could withstand the cold without any drain.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I was always under the impression that colder temperatures prevented battery drain, though perhaps not at temperatures that low!

After the update my battery seems fine, I've never really had any issues with battery drain. Running Uberkernel at 1.8ghz did not it down a bit, but running at 1.5ghz for me is the best balance between performance and longevity.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Far from a scientific study....

I take my TouchPad with me to work almost every day, mainly for Music Player Remix. I left it in my car this morning by accident, something to do with 4:30AM and not enough coffee. It was -25C and stayed there all day. Just got off of work, drove home, figured my TouchPad was dead, went to plug it in, and lo and behold, it was sitting at 100% battery.

Of course it was asleep, and not hooked into a WiFi source, but I thought the temperature would have killed off the battery. Just thought that was interesting it could withstand the cold without any drain.
    you should try it again, going to be -27c Tuesday!
    I'm having similar issues.

My TouchPad was idling over night on my nightstand, after having charged all day. Next morning it was at 73% battery. Something seems to be eating it pretty bad.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
  8.    #28  
    Yesterday, I used my TP for half a day and my battery went from 100% to 53%. It normally never goes below 80% with that type of usage.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    I'm having similar issues.

My TouchPad was idling over night on my nightstand, after having charged all day. Next morning it was at 73% battery. Something seems to be eating it pretty bad.
    Nothing is eating it!
    It's the monitoring software. Let it settle down and it will improve its reporting ability.
    For some odd reason my battery has stopped draining. I charged and removed from power 4 days ago and it is at 94%. I just turn it on twice a day to check the battery and I have it set to wifi off on sleep. I also changed Govnah to OndemandTcl 1728 profile. Not sure if this had an effect.
    I don't know about others, but for me (64GB White TP), my battery life improved, big time. With 3.0.4 it would drain overnight dramatically, now, w/ 3.0.5, barely at all. just saying...
    ----------------------------------------
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be, unnatural"
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey1234 View Post
    For some odd reason my battery has stopped draining. I charged and removed from power 4 days ago and it is at 94%. I just turn it on twice a day to check the battery and I have it set to wifi off on sleep. I also changed Govnah to OndemandTcl 1728 profile. Not sure if this had an effect.
    Install Preware, if you haven't done so already, and download the app Dr. Battery and re-calibrate the battery. You will need to run your battery down to almost nothing, then start the app and follow the directions (ie plug it in when it tells you to) and let it charge to 100%.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Install Preware, if you haven't done so already, and download the app Dr. Battery and re-calibrate the battery. You will need to run your battery down to almost nothing, then start the app and follow the directions (ie plug it in when it tells you to) and let it charge to 100%.
    It is still draining just as the other poster noted barely at all overnight. When used it drains normally. Before it would go down 50% overnight doing nothing.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    I'm more convinced than ever. Today my battery was showing 5%, there was even a message that it was about to shut down. So I plug it in to charge. Literally 1 hour later my battery shows 50% !! I don't think it could literally be charging that fast.
    I was experiencing my battery draining quickly too and I have at least solved it on mine. It was my Google account syncing. I saw that syncing was spiking and disabled accounts until I traced it to Google. I deleted the account and remade it and the spikes went away. I have little battery drain while it is resting. I don't know what 3.0.5 did to change it.

I noticed in Govnah that the processor was spiking every once in a while and staying at 100% for about a minute and then it would calm down. From another thread I learned to install wTerm and then run the top command (just type in the word "top" and enter) and that will give you a list of running programs and processor usage.

I know there were some syncing issues in previous builds and am wondering if there was a change in 3.0.5 that attempted to fix them and by upgrading things didn't go as planned. I also see that in Dr Battery that it doesn't charge as high as it did before but that is just a number that is being reported and displayed. My Touchpad is running just as long, if not longer than it did before.

Although it did feel better when my battery would charge to 11.....Spinaltap ;-)
    Last edited by gaitch32; 01/27/2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I've noticed since the last update 3.0.5 the battery life has declined. Glad I am not the only person who noticed it. I did tell HP the day after the update was released. We'll have to see if they fix this.... keep reporting the problem so they do.
    Dr. Battery calibration is not supported on TP, or I'm getting something wrong ?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12