Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
Like Tree5Likes
  1. #21  
    I think they're a good addition, don't see the point in killing them off as soon as we get them. Though when open-source comes, a toggle would be nice.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
  2. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilSeastrand View Post
    I personally love it and asked for it from day one. Would an active scroll bar be more useful, sure, but that doesn't mean this indicator is worthless.

    Thanks, HP!

    thats the beauty of having an opinion. each person has one. my opinion is it is absolutely pointless. i dont understand how/why a person can find it useful. because a person is going to be scrolling down the page anyway. i mean if you are going to be reading the entire page, you are still scrolling regardless of how long the page is or where your position is on the page.

    so i cant really see how knowing how long a page is, is very helpful at all. because ultimately if you are reading the entire page then it wont help you read any faster or get to the bottom any faster
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    thats the beauty of having an opinion. each person has one. my opinion is it is absolutely pointless. i dont understand how/why a person can find it useful. because a person is going to be scrolling down the page anyway. i mean if you are going to be reading the entire page, you are still scrolling regardless of how long the page is or where your position is on the page.

    so i cant really see how knowing how long a page is, is very helpful at all. because ultimately if you are reading the entire page then it wont help you read any faster or get to the bottom any faster
    It's helpful to me because I can make a decision on whether to bother to scroll back up to the top of the page - e.g. On Facebook (desktop site) on the news feed. Often I will scroll down and down. Now I know what level I've scrolled to, I can make a decision whether to reload the page, or whether to scroll up. Same with Wiki pages.

    I agree with your general theme that it isn't the most useful addition (comparing against a fully functional scroll bar) but it was something that is definitely lacking vs other mobile OS's and now a base to build on has been implemented.
  4. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #24  
    I'd like it if they stayed "alive" when I stopped scrolling. But they don't - they just disappear.

    Alan
    rmeigs likes this.
  5. #25  
    There have been patches to do the same exact thing, perhaps they used one of those as a base. This is just the first step in a series I hope. Next steps would be to make it stay on for a second or two after stopping, and making it draggable. I've been lamenting the lack of true scroll bars since I first used a Samsung Instinct, and would have done the same if I'd ever played with an iphone.
  6. chi
    chi is offline
    chi's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    #26  
    Love it! Each page was like being in a never ending Kindle chapter and not knowing when it ends.
  7. gamoses's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #27  
    I LOVE it. Thanks, hp! :-)
  8. #28  
    It's about time this was added. Baby step...
  9. #29  
    It stands to reason that if the software knows where the scroll bar is on a given page, you should be able to hit the back button and force the location of the page to be where the scroll bar was. No more having to start from the top each time.
    cup & string
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I'd like it if they stayed "alive" when I stopped scrolling. But they don't - they just disappear.

    Alan
    Half the time I don't notice it, and when I do it disappears, the other half my hand is swiping up and down right on top of it, and I can't see it anyway.

    Unnecessary "improvement" for me, but if it keeps the rest of them happy, then it's a good thing.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ok, maybe 99% was exaggerating. but isn't it nice to be in the 1% for once?

    *Occupy the 1%*
  12. #32  
    As the page length increases.. so also the indicator-'button' length proportionally decreases.

    Woe betide the sight of a *dot* there!

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 01/14/2012 at 02:07 PM.
  13. #33  
    Why don't they make the scroll bar clickable so you an drag it down to where you want, like on a PC? If you have a very long page, I can just drag it down to the location in one action, rather than do multiple swipes. HP just doesn't get it.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    thats the beauty of having an opinion. each person has one. my opinion is it is absolutely pointless. i dont understand how/why a person can find it useful. because a person is going to be scrolling down the page anyway. i mean if you are going to be reading the entire page, you are still scrolling regardless of how long the page is or where your position is on the page.

    so i cant really see how knowing how long a page is, is very helpful at all. because ultimately if you are reading the entire page then it wont help you read any faster or get to the bottom any faster
    You can please some of the people some of the time, you can even please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    knownboyofno likes this.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingster View Post
    Why don't they make the scroll bar clickable so you an drag it down to where you want, like on a PC? If you have a very long page, I can just drag it down to the location in one action, rather than do multiple swipes. HP just doesn't get it.
    probably because that wasn't what was extremely widely requested, nor is it what any of the other mobile operating systems did. Why can't they? hmm. *shrug* I suppose they could make it last a moment longer on screen, then if you grab it, it could be used.. but, I think it would end up being hardly used or really disliked, honestly.

    I'm more confused as to why there isn't a horizontal scroll indicator.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    probably because that wasn't what was extremely widely requested, nor is it what any of the other mobile operating systems did. Why can't they? hmm. *shrug* I suppose they could make it last a moment longer on screen, then if you grab it, it could be used.. but, I think it would end up being hardly used or really disliked, honestly.

    I'm more confused as to why there isn't a horizontal scroll indicator.
    there is a horizontal indicator you need to be on a page that is extra wide or zoomed in to see it though, and of course you also need to be scrolling just like the vertical one
  17. #37  
    oh.. i guess i just haven't been to any pages that trigger it then. very well, then hmm.. does it show if you are zoomed in on a page?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    oh.. i guess i just haven't been to any pages that trigger it then. very well, then hmm.. does it show if you are zoomed in on a page?
    yes it should show up as soon as you pinch to zoom
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingster View Post
    Why don't they make the scroll bar clickable so you an drag it down to where you want, like on a PC? If you have a very long page, I can just drag it down to the location in one action, rather than do multiple swipes. HP just doesn't get it.
    scrolling is an entirely different process from what happens using a mouse
    WebOs is optimized for mobile devices (and really shows its advantages best with a cellphone) but that said, I think the change with the latest OTA update a clear advance
    having some mechanism to scroll using the scroll bar itself, while intuitive and comfortable for users schooled in mouse driven GUIs, would likely be clumsy with WebOs finger driven navigation
    I find the simple navigation bars very well implemented
    a swipe of my finger gets the job done for me even better than having to hit some target to use a side scroll bar
    now it would be nice to have a quick means to get to the top or bottom of a page, but my finger flicking technique has improved so, that I find myself flicking at my pc screen in hopes of doing this, rather than hitting the PgDn button
    WebOs is a very adaptable mobile system & I am certain someone will have a "fix" for this in Homebrew, but I for one find the present indicator bars an elegant & useful addition
    more importantly this update demonstrates some commitment from HP to WebOs
    now update the Veer so we can have TTS & get some more cellphone platforms out there
    cellphones are essential to HP's success in the mobile market
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions