1.    #1  
    First of all, I love the new 3.0.5 update. It fixed almost all of the things that I had problems with in the previous update. The one thing that is driving me crazy is just type. I always like to use Bing as my default search engine because that is my preferred engine. I don't want to turn into a search engine debate btw. Anyway, the new 3.0.5 update reordered my Just Type search engines. Now when I set the browser to Bing, it sets my browser search to WIkipedia. When I change my search engine from the browser to Google, it changes my Just type engine to google as well. Does anyone know how to make Bing the browser search? If not, does anyone know how to rearrange the order of the search engines? It is only defaulting to Wikipedia because that is the first search engine on the list that is built in. I would be ok with google if it was the tablet optimized site but the touchpad defaults to the basic HTML site that is really ugly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the order seems to randomly change on me...and my google does not give me suggestions anymore because I think I've been using bing for too long...lol

Thanks
    Last edited by techlover10; 01/13/2012 at 08:06 PM.
    Go to your Settings tab and tap on the Just Type icon. You should see a Default Search Engine section. Tap on Edit for that section and select the search engine you want as your default.
  3.    #3  
    I tried that; maybe I should have been more specific. Every time I make bing my default search, it makes Wikipedia my browser default. This is because after I updated the search engine order changed. I changed my browser to google, but it changed my just type back to google. This is the problem; this happens every time. Any help would be appreciated:-)
    If I go to Preferences under Web it shows Wikipedia as the default search engine. However, under Just Type, I have DuckDuckGo selected as the default search engine. If I open the web first (tap on the globe) and then type in my search, it does go to Wikipedia. However, if I go directly to Just Type (enter my search in Just Type on the home screen), it goes to DuckDuckGo.

I have no idea why the web Preferences differ from the Just Type selection. Just repeat to yourself the following: It's not a bug, it's a feature. If you say it enough, you'll start to believe it.

In the meantime, select Bing as the default under Just Type and start your search from Just Type rather than opening the web first. You can also change out the web selection on the home page (I have DuckDuckGo rather than the default globe web app on home page) so you start off at Bing if you do want to open the web first.

I don't know if this was a change that happened with 3.0.5--I updated last night so I can't check at this point.

If you want to use the Just Type function once you already have the web open, I'm not sure how you can get Bing on there. If you open up Just Type again, and look under the Search Using section, uncheck Wikipedia (and Twitter) and leave Google checked. Your first Just Type from the home page will be in Bing. Once the web is open, anything after that will be in Google...but at least you won't get Wikipedia...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks elsie2. I found a workaround for now, it is just kinda annoying that this update, which I actually quite enjoy, has taken away a setup that I've taken for granted since I got my HP TouchPad. I will probably get used to my new setup anyway, I was just hoping that there might be a workaround that I don't know about...oh well, win some lose some I guess.
    I wouldn't have even realized it was a problem if you hadn't asked the question. I'm going to go to the "bug" thread and add this to the list.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah I wouldn't consider it a bug if it weren't for the fact that it depends on the order of my search engines in my Just Type preferences. I'd put in a patch request but I have not gotten into homebrew yet. All I think I need to do to fix it is change the order of my just type services, but I can't do that...
    I actually do think it's a bug that cropped up in 3.0.5. My TP isn't holding my default search engine (either in Just Type or in the browser) through a reboot. It keeps defaulting to Wikipedia in the browser, and a regular Google search in Just Type (had it set to Google SSL priorly for both).

I turned off Backup and deleted my info on the servers thinking it may have been grabbing some settings from there...no dice.
    It's a bug. I posted in the bug thread...I wish they would stop breaking stuff that works!

If you want it to stop defaulting to Wikipedia, go to Settings and then tap on the Just Type app icon. Look under Search Using and turn Wikipedia off. If you use Just Type from the home page, it will still use your default search engine. If you have the browser open and type in your search, it will use whatever you have selected under Search Using...I found Google was much preferable to Wikipedia but I would really prefer being able to use my default search engine all the time...
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbons View Post
    I actually do think it's a bug that cropped up in 3.0.5. My TP isn't holding my default search engine (either in Just Type or in the browser) through a reboot. It keeps defaulting to Wikipedia in the browser, and a regular Google search in Just Type (had it set to Google SSL priorly for both).

I turned off Backup and deleted my info on the servers thinking it may have been grabbing some settings from there...no dice.
    I was having the exact same issue as you and by using elsie2's tip, I turned off Wikipedia in Just Type search and made sure Google SSL was the default. This made regular Google my default web browser search option but Google SSL is not even an option in web browser search. Definitely an issue that should be addressed.
    My guess is that most people haven't picked up on this problem yet. Post a confirmation in the bug thread...maybe it will get fixed at some point if enough people have a problem with this.
    bing isn't in the list!
  13.    #13  
    It is not a built-in engine but webOS works with a variety of search plugins and can detect many engines. There are services which can be used to create a search plugin compatible with TouchPad and these worked under 3.0.0-3.0.4. 3.0.5 works too, it just messes up the order.
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html