01/31/2012, 11:17 AM
i am having problems with wi-fi that seem to date back to the latest update, although obviously it's difficult to 100% confirm this.
steps to reproduce (just one of many ways):
1. launch browser, go to bbc iplayer and play some radio show or live stream.
2. don't lock the screen, but wait a few minutes until the screen lock kicks in itself (duration depends on your settings).
3. observe that as the screen lock kicks in, the streaming audio stutters and then stops, stutters and continues to stutter, or just stops.
4. tap the centre button, drag the yellow unlock thingy on-screen to unlock the screen.
5. observe that the sound resumes. most of the time. sometimes you have to reload the page.
i didn't have this problem before the update. this problem occurs at home as well as at friends' houses. i have the "wi-fi sleep" setting disabled (sorry don't have the touchpad with me to confirm what that setting is called).
extending the screen sleep time to the maximum (10mins) helps for obvious reasons (it delays the recurrence of the problem).
before upgrading to the latest webos build i ran Emergency Patch Recovery, which i believe removes all patches, more or less. i haven't installed any again since.
i have control of the wi-fi in my flat and haven't changed anything with it. there hasn't been an increase in devices connected to the wifi in recent times.
it's possible that the BBC iplayer site changed something that doesn't work well with the flash plugin on the touchpad, and the timing is coincidental, but when this gets really annoying i switch to the Pre 3 and i don't have any problems with the audio/wi-fi.