Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    The cards, Touchstone, Graphite, the e-mail app, the App Catalog, Preware... pretty much everything actually. Yes, of course I also can name some downsides, but it's hard to name them given all the upsides

The only I thing I really miss is WhatsApp.
    What do I love about WebOS (and the Touchpad)? There are so many things.

I've never owned a tablet before, and I don't have much experience with Android. I bought the Touchpad, primarily because I heard you can install other OS' on it. Once I bought one, I decided to play with WebOS before installing another OS. It's been a few weeks and I haven't installed ANY other OS and I probably won't. I think WebOS is great! It's intuitive, stable and looks great. Its an example of what technology should be. I guess I'm a new fan of WebOS.

I wish someone from HP would read this. I understand the decision to pull the TP from production, but you should find a way to make this work. After spending some time with the TP, I truly believe everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy one of these tablets. Why not try a couple more production runs?

My favorite feature? Definitely Touchstone Charging!
    Last edited by UbuntuIsGreat; 01/10/2012 at 08:30 AM.
    One awesome small thing I love is that if you're listening to music and you unplug the headphones the music stops playing.
    Menu Connection over ALL softwares, cards, etc, etc, etc... (ok, except games in full screen!)

Dude, enable and disable connections without go out of your opened app is so... so... sooooo goooood...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    the contact apps 'contact reminder' feature, popping up when phoning,messaging,mailing with a person reminding me of bringing, fetching, paying, telling, talking about something.
    This really saved my live a dozen times.

Would be great if it would pop up sooner on calling somebody (as soon as dialing out) and apps should be able to add text to this reminder.
    How have I never used this feature... I need to check this out

meh, won't work for how I use just type (would still need to remember I have a reminder set), unless I am missing something.

edit: Now that I have seen it working, pretty slick. Might have to get in the habit of using this for some things...
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 01/10/2012 at 01:41 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Actually, there is a lot to love in the Touchpad. My personal favorites (only the top ones listed, there are more):

1. Multitasking (i have an Android tablet and wifey has iPad2): cannot still believe how good TP is with this; Cards/stacks make you wish you never have to use an android/iOS again

2. Notifications: this is quite simply the best possible implementation of a notification system - it alerts you and yet it does not intrude; iOS 5.0.1 is the version i have on my iPhone and even this latest OS version is pathetic with notifications; Android has improved - seems to me that they have copied webOS notification style in ICS

3. Integration through Synergy: nice to get all your accounts in one place

4. Sharing: how easy is it to share documents between your laptop and TP with a simple and beautiful app - Wifi file browser/uploader

5. Flash: possibly the worst-ever plug-in which keeps crashing my laptop, would not play on iOS devices as Apple would never let them, but hey, it never gave me any issues on my TP...

6. Finally, the modest looking HP touchpad case (official version): within the first 24 hrs of receiving my TP, i managed to drop it. Luckily it fell on its back (not at an angle) and had the case on. Believe it or not, there was not one scratch, no damage - not even the slightest one. WOW!!!

I could be wrong, but it appears that Microsoft is borrowing a few elements of webOS for Win 8.....they are smart - there is a lot of good stuff in webOS
  7. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Homebrew community, preware, patches and WebOs Quickinstall
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Synergy is really outstanding.
    * Cards (+stacks): Most people may be content with doing one thing at a time but I'm sure not. webOS has the most seamless, natural multi-tasking of any OS even if it's starting to be copied.

* Gestures: Another big time saver. One of my few complaints about the TouchPad is they got rid of the gesture area to copy the iPad's button. Why change something that works so well?

* Homebrew community/Patches/Preware/App Tuckerbox/Theme Manager/Save-Restore: Bringing us everything that the operating system should have had built-in but didn't. Seriously, the homebrew community was the difference between me being able to switch to webOS and being stuck on a lesser platform.

* AgendaZ: Being able to see what's on my schedule for the next month at a glance is super-convenient and this free app manages to match BlackBerry's Today Pane if not best it which is saying a lot.

* Project Macaw: Amazing Twitter app that leaves nothing to be desired. My only qualm is if the community can create such a fantastic twitter app, why can't they do the same for Facebook? It was done on the iPad with MyPad so why can't we?

* freeTether: Lets me share my data plan from my Pre3 with my TouchPad. Super-convenient and saves money.

* Synergy: Having everything seamlessly connect is awesome. No other platform comes close.

* Bing Maps (seriously): I like it better than Google Maps. I just wish it would just show me multiple routes instead of only giving me what it things is best.

* Just Type: Big time saver and oh-so-simple.

* Touch-to-Share/Paring Pre3 with TouchPad: Lets the tablet be exactly what it should be, an extension/supplement to the smartphone.

* Touchstone: Wireless charging is amazing. If only that Pre3 Audio Touchstone would have had a few thousand made to be sold on eBay.

* TapNote app: Being able to have all my notes synced to my Pre3, TouchPad, PC and the Web via Dropbox syncing is more useful than you might think.

* Calendar app (on TouchPad): I love the month view of the calendar on the TouchPad. It's a great overview of what's going on in my life.

* Music Player (remix): The stock music player is very lacking but this makes up for it.

* Feeder (Google Reader): Perfect Google Reader app.

* Flash: You don't need it but having it makes up for a lot of the other shortcomings of webOS.

* The Understated Elegance of the Hardware: One of my favorite things about webOS is that the TouchPad/Pre/Veer never tried to be flashy and get your attention. It doesn't have unnecessary stuff drawing attention and is very "clean". But at the same time by not trying it catches everyone's eye. My fear in other companies making future webOS devices is that this will be lost. I find Android and WP7 devices very ugly for this reason.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    What he said. Is there seriously anything as awesome as tuckerbox+preware?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    I enjoy webOS so much its hard to pinpoint one thing

but a short story about my iphone loving co-worker that fiddled with my pre2 one day came back puzzled he had so many cards open and complained he couldn't fiqure out how to close them he kept loading them....I reached over with a finger and started swiping them away...his eyes where as big as sauces.....priceless
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
  12.    #32  
    Time to revive this thread:

SongID which will identify songs just entered the app catalog (like soundhound)--great job by the developer.

wifi media sync has just come to the macbook-touchpad (bought the app almost 2 years ago and finally can use it with my macbook)

WiFi File sharing is amazing, what a talented dev.

webOS and webOS community still remain...awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Time to revive this thread:

SongID which will identify songs just entered the app catalog (like soundhound)--great job by the developer.

wifi media sync has just come to the macbook-touchpad (bought the app almost 2 years ago and finally can use it with my macbook)

WiFi File sharing is amazing, what a talented dev.

webOS and webOS community still remain...awesome.
    If this were 140 characters I would tweet it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Blah SongID not compatible w Pre3 =/
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If this were 140 characters I would tweet it.
    For the past few days, I've seen people do multiple tweets on the ipad, seems ok to me to make a 3-tweeter if you wish.
    Seriously, can anything be better than being able to mod your device they way you want?? Between how easy it is to make edits, and the community devs, what can't be changed?

Honestly, it's the cards/multitasking that is awesome, and the Just Type/Synergy.
    Nobody can say anything different.
    It's just that simple.
    Plain.
    Elegant.
    And nobody has been able to figure it out 3 years later...
    there are soooo many.....but the most imp for me would be ..
    Just type -cant live without it ..use it all the time,whatever it be ,opening apps, sending sms .searching songs...its awesssom
    gesture area - still the best and most functional / intuitive in the game .....i really miss it a lot on my touchpad.,hope with openwebOS they do some sort of gesture implementation software wise if possible.....always wondered why HP went one step back ..
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    Seriously, can anything be better than being able to mod your device they way you want?? Between how easy it is to make edits, and the community devs, what can't be changed?

What can't be changed? The horrendous web browser, for one. It is my one major complaint, it is so slow and limited in several ways. I would pay good money for a browser on WebOS that was fast (even the stock browser in Android is better) and that could consistently handle secured or encrypted pdf downloads.

Otherwise, WebOS is at the top of the mobile OS world in my opinion.
    The things I love about Webos:
    -Imap integration with my work's First Class email server - brings over calendar/contacts/email
    -Synergy - especially fond of being able to see my wife's calendar entries from her google calendar account so that we can sync up our schedules. That one's been a real lifesaver!!
    -The launcher wave ribbon - even two years on I love using that thing!
    -flicking cards
    -true multitasking
    .....and a bunch of apps that I think are great:
    -Agenda by haeffb - two weeks worth of calendar entries in one place. Awesome.
    -Freetether
    -Flixster
    -Govnah - in fact all of the mods from Preware are just amazing
    -NHL scores
    -CBC News
    -Google Maps - Homebrew edition
    -Yellow Pages
    -Keyring
    -Backgrounds
    .....and finally I'd like to give a shout out to all those companies that produce usable mobile websites. We may not have as huge a catalogue as iOS/Android but I'm so appreciative when companies don't forget there are other mobile OS's out there. Also, big kudos to webos for having the foresight to being able to place those sites as an app in the launcher:
    -The Register
    -TD Bank
    -ebay
    -aeroplan mobile
    -Wired
    -CNET
    -Cineplex
    -the Weather Network
    -Ars Technica
    -Via Rail
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast