Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kledanhoj
  • 1 Post By touchthatpad106
  1.    #1  
    I'm using advanced browser right now, but I really think this is too slow.. Is anyone else feeling this way? I loved the native web browser; it was fast and extremely elegant. I only changed to advanced browser because of tab browsing. However, I feel like the cons of the advanced browser outweighs the pros. Is advanced browser just slower than the native web browser, or is it just me?
    I don't know about speed but I know touch to share only seems to work with the native browser if you try it with a pre 3. That kinda sucks. Also, TTS is such a great concept that didn't make it any farther than sharing a website when it could have been the start of something great if apps were being developed to take advantage of it. Now Android and Apple are already assimilating that capability into their OSs.
    RLangerman likes this.
    I keep trying to like Advanced Browser, but the number one thing that keeps bringing me back to the stock browser is really what webOS is about...cards and multitasking. Yeah in Advanced Browser you get all of your websites in one place, but what if I have some sport websites and twitter websites? I prefer to organize the cards into their respective stacks and work that way. Advanced Browser does store passwords if you use secustore2 (which is a great app) and does work with Glimpse (which I still havent figured out what the hype is all about). For me, the stock browser does/shows why webOS is webOS lol.
    gastr likes this.
    I perform several speed test and found both to be comparable. The Advance Browser may be a bit slower at times but not more than 1 to 2 seconds behind finishing loading the page. It was not consistently slower just periodically.

I prefer Advance Browser for the tabs and the search page. I still use stock browse a lot for the fact that some pages work better on stock browser, promo codes, and Just Type. I tried the patch to make everything open Advance Browser but found the need to re move it for using sites that rely on popup pages like banking.
    all 3 "browsers" use exactly the same webkit webview, its just the extra mechanics/ui's that differ.
    I used to think the Advanced Browser was superior becuse of tabbed browsing, find on page, and private browsing.

But since I found patches in preware that add find on page and private browsing for the standard browser, I can't justify using the advanced browser becuase I can't stand how it blocks the clock and the notification bar.

If only there was a patch that would unblock the clock and notifcation bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by yorxs View Post
    I used to think the Advanced Browser was superior becuse of tabbed browsing, find on page, and private browsing.

But since I found patches in preware that add find on page and private browsing for the standard browser, I can't justify using the advanced browser becuase I can't stand how it blocks the clock and the notification bar.

If only there was a patch that would unblock the clock and notifcation bar.
    No patch needed. Just go to preferences-advanced-turn full screen mode off.

Likewise, to the above poster who said advanced browser doesn't allow cards, that is false. Just go to "new card" in the upper left menu. This is actually better than the built-in browser because you can have multiple cards with different tabs within (one card for one subject, etc.)
    As one of the engineers responsible for TTS: "Thanks!" I'm also disappointed that we had the basic URL sharing working in February but we got assigned to other tasks rather than extending TTS.

TTS does require cooperation from the app which is why the normal browser is the only app that works. There is a layer called the STservice ("Seamless Transition") and the Bluetooth code as well as my tap2shared that would likely need to be modified to add support for other media types......

We had such grand plans. Thanks a _lot_ Leo.......

edc
    Quote Originally Posted by elgo View Post

Likewise, to the above poster who said advanced browser doesn't allow cards, that is false. Just go to "new card" in the upper left menu. This is actually better than the built-in browser because you can have multiple cards with different tabs within (one card for one subject, etc.)
    I am embarrassed that I am just finding the advanced preferences. did not know there was an "open tabs in background" option.
    I am embarrassed that I am just finding the advanced preferences. did not know there was an "open tabs in background" option.
    as you should be! :-P

Lol... Jk

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by elgo View Post

Wow, it seems so obvious now. I have been in the preferences before, and just never made the connection that full screen mode is what I wanted off.
    if I open multiple cards in adv browser the original card goes to the url of the new card and I have to hit back to get it back
    For me advanced browser has better features. The native browser however looks tidy and is a bit faster.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    didn't know you could have multiple cards, and tabs within cards, etc. with advanced browser. that's very cool.

now all that's missing is TTS and the deeper OS integration of the native browser (e.g. Just Type). so i'm still using the stock one...

i have the private browsing patch, will add the find-in-page patch (didn't know about it!) and don't care about securestore/glimpse (@knicks2030 i agree re glimpse- what's the fuss? cards FTW!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
    As one of the engineers responsible for TTS: "Thanks!" I'm also disappointed that we had the basic URL sharing working in February but we got assigned to other tasks rather than extending TTS.

TTS does require cooperation from the app which is why the normal browser is the only app that works. There is a layer called the STservice ("Seamless Transition") and the Bluetooth code as well as my tap2shared that would likely need to be modified to add support for other media types......

We had such grand plans. Thanks a _lot_ Leo.......

edc
    Thanks for sharing that chejlava. The next major feature of TTS should be maps, in my opinion. So often I have been looking at maps on my TP, and just wanted it to transfer over to my Pre3... but then again, having the browser be say, twice as quick as it is now (and better HTML5 support) would probably be a much greater priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    if I open multiple cards in adv browser the original card goes to the url of the new card and I have to hit back to get it back

From memory, I think that's the "open new tabs in background" setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by kledanhoj View Post
    I don't know about speed but I know touch to share only seems to work with the native browser if you try it with a pre 3. That kinda sucks. Also, TTS is such a great concept that didn't make it any farther than sharing a website when it could have been the start of something great if apps were being developed to take advantage of it. Now Android and Apple are already assimilating that capability into their OSs.
    TTS works with Advanced Browser too if you install the patch to make AB the default browser.